Non-Sharks Bay Area Sports Thread XXVIII

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Injuries and inconsistent play all season so far. This has the makings of a window-closing moment for SB aspirations.
Contractually as well, one of Deebo/Aiyuk won't be back in 2025. It was basically going to be Deebo, but with an ACL to Aiyuk, how good will he be in the 1st season back from that? (Which is why he pushed to get a long term deal. If this was just his 5th year option, he'd only get a 1/2 year deal at much less).

Trent/Kittle another year old and Kittle plays very physical. CMC, what is going on with him.

When the SF offence doesn't click early, don't see Purdy battling through it. Which is a concern. Also for Shanahan, not being able to come back from 8 down. Feeling those lost draft capital for Lance now. It's the 2 extra 1sts and 3rd since if he fell, SF would have drafted him vs trade up for him and used up a 1st.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Purdy cost them that game but Shanahan is doing the team no favors with his playcalls. They're consistently outcoached by the Chiefs and at this sort of level, the talent is not going to overcome it if they're missing three of their best skill players and the other side has Mahomes.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Purdy cost them that game but Shanahan is doing the team no favors with his playcalls. They're consistently outcoached by the Chiefs and at this sort of level, the talent is not going to overcome it if they're missing three of their best skill players and the other side has Mahomes.
I thought coaching was the most concerning part of this game. I know that Deebo getting sick was unfortunate, but they looked so unprepared for the game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Shanahan doesn't appear to be able to adjust when the run game isn't working. Doesn't have the system to just drop back and air it out. Virtually everything is done off play action.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I thought coaching was the most concerning part of this game. I know that Deebo getting sick was unfortunate, but they looked so unprepared for the game.
Against the Chiefs specifically, I think it is the most concerning part. They have consistently shut down the skill players that are supposed to be difference-makers in Shanahan's system and he has no answers. The Chiefs have arguably the best defense and the best QB. If they also have the better coach, the team has no chance against them.
Shanahan doesn't appear to be able to adjust when the run game isn't working. Doesn't have the system to just drop back and air it out. Virtually everything is done off play action.
Shanahan has never done well when his system doesn't get off to a good start. People like to rank him as a top five coach and maybe he is but he has consistent issues that prevent him from winning the big one that he's never done anything about. This sort of thing is why once they pay Purdy and have to start cutting elsewhere, he's going to probably regress back to what the team looked like when he first started.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Shanahan has never done well when his system doesn't get off to a good start. People like to rank him as a top five coach and maybe he is but he has consistent issues that prevent him from winning the big one that he's never done anything about. This sort of thing is why once they pay Purdy and have to start cutting elsewhere, he's going to probably regress back to what the team looked like when he first started.
Purdy is going to force SF's hand in the off-season. Yes, he's got a year left, but at $900K, is he going to lose out if he doesn't show up to off-season programs and camp?

Unless SF believes they can put someone else in there to run the offense.

But, Purdy is what he is. He can run the offence, but won't elevate a weaker group up. That negotiation is going to be very interesting.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Purdy is going to force SF's hand in the off-season. Yes, he's got a year left, but at $900K, is he going to lose out if he doesn't show up to off-season programs and camp?

Unless SF believes they can put someone else in there to run the offense.

But, Purdy is what he is. He can run the offence, but won't elevate a weaker group up. That negotiation is going to be very interesting.
They're going to pay Purdy because he's their best long term option even over all their skill players. I think Purdy can elevate a weaker group. It's just a lot different throwing to your 4, 5, 6, and 7 guys because of injury compared to throwing to a different trio of 1, 2, and 3's that you're bringing in because the cap won't let you keep the skill guys that are getting older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad