Abbotsford Canucks | Season Starting

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ryan Johnson f***ing sucks
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on these boards, but the two guys who really count--Allvin and Rutherford--have both had high praise for Ryan Johnston's work in Abbotsford.

And Westcoast Orca makes a valid point. Between 2020 and 2024 the Canucks have traded three first round draft picks (actually four if you count the Hronek trade).....and I've simply lost track of the number of second and third round picks they've dealt during that same time period.

The draft is the lifeblood of your prospect pool. Actually, given the number of picks they've dealt over the last five seasons, it's something of a miracle the Canucks prospect pool is even as good as it is

And it certainly isn't Ryan Johnson's fault that high picks have been traded for immediate help for the big club and that the prospect pool in Abbotsford isn't as strong as it could be.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm suspicious of Ryan Johnson. The way management has spoken about his abilities makes me wonder if he's the management equivalent of Gudbranson. He looks good, he sounds good, he says the right things and carries himself the right way, so he must be good.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
I can't recall his name, but the old Manitoba Moose GM who then went to the Jets as an AGM (I think) was probably the best farm team GM ever, in my memory anywho. Even found a few gems himself, and developed a coach to boot.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm suspicious of Ryan Johnson. The way management has spoken about his abilities makes me wonder if he's the management equivalent of Gudbranson. He looks good, he sounds good, he says the right things and carries himself the right way, so he must be good.

Steve Tambellini. Empty suite that is good at non- hockey things and impresses a certain subset of people.

Personally, I have no read on Johnson. Apparently he was he guy that pushed for Joshua and this management team doesn’t seem enamored by people that can’t contribute.

My only complaint is the total lack of reporting (media issue) and openness about injuries and roster decisions. You’d think that with the proximity there’d be a bigger media push but they don’t bother to watch any games.

Reactions: Lindgren

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Ryan Johnson f***ing sucks
“RJ has been an invaluable resource for me and the entire front office,” said Allvin. “Not only has he done an excellent job in running our American Hockey League affiliate in Abbotsford, but he has also done a lot of great work on the hockey operations side. His player assessment and insightful advice has been a key driver for our improvement at both the AHL and NHL level.”

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
“RJ has been an invaluable resource for me and the entire front office,” said Allvin. “Not only has he done an excellent job in running our American Hockey League affiliate in Abbotsford, but he has also done a lot of great work on the hockey operations side. His player assessment and insightful advice has been a key driver for our improvement at both the AHL and NHL level.”

Yeah I feel this dichotomy hard. I don't actually see results but people I respect sing his praises. But I don't see results.

Am I looking for the wrong things? Or am I being gaslit? But why would they gaslight us? None of it makes any sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad