Non-Minnesota NHL News XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Isles will go panicmode and sell everything. Now is the time to get some more epic trade victories from them.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Isles will go panicmode and sell everything. Now is the time to get some more epic trade victories from them.

They will probably trade their upcoming ufas but that will most likely be it. Afterwards Wang and Snow will keep their gong show in full effect.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Even during his draft year, Strome reminded me of that one player who could win you a game in the shootout, but couldn't contribute much elsewhere. Obviously I could be wrong, but I doubt it. ;)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Even during his draft year, Strome reminded me of that one player who could win you a game in the shootout, but couldn't contribute much elsewhere. Obviously I could be wrong, but I doubt it. ;)

Is that why you picked him for your fantasy team? :sarcasm:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
It's believed St.Louis did ask #Lightning 4 trade when left off Canada. I'm told some #NHL clubs not sure if he still feels the same way now

hzl0tyf3bjbl.gif

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Took me 5 minutes to find a good reaction image. Done got scooped.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Is that why you picked him for your fantasy team? :sarcasm:

Yeah I did. But I also needed an emergency handcuff since I drafted Tavares 5th overall. Ya know, just in case **** hit the fan NYI style. Didn't say I was a fan.. Just that someone had to maybe fill in since the Islanders have nothing beyond Tavares. #thoughtyouweremyfrienddontchallengeme

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
That doesn't sound like St. Louis.

I HATE it when people don't include his first name, as I always waste about a minute trying to understand why the ST. LOUIS BLUES wanted a trade with Tampa because someone was not on the Olympic team. (because in my head, his name should be spelled "Marty Sain Louey"

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
That would be incredibly surprising. St Louis outlasted guys like Lecavelier and Richards. And he wears the C too.

That's what I thought at first... Then I remembered the allegations about Tampa Bay forbidding St. Louis from playing in the Olympics...

Honestly, if my team told me I couldn't play in the Olympics, I'd be like "Fine, I want to play for a team that WILL." Then yell "Boomshakalaka" and slam dunk my contract through one of those NERF basketball hoops as I walk out of the conference room.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Bob McKenzie commented on the MSL/Callahan stuff

There is reason to believe in the immediate aftermath of his Jan. 7 snub from the Canadian Olympic team, in some form or another, St. Louis indicated to the Bolts he may look favorably on a move out of Tampa.

We have to be careful here not to get too hung up on semantics. Was it a trade demand? A trade request? A conversation? Was it St. Louis speaking directly to Yzerman or was it some form of communication between St. Louis's agent Lewis Gross and the organization?

While none of the principals were confirming or denying anything in those days and weeks after the initial snub, talk in the NHL community was rife that St. Louis wanted out. There was even talk – again, nothing with an absolute confirmation -- that the only place St. Louis would waive his No Move Clause for was the New York Rangers. His off-season home is just outside NYC, in Connecticut.

If the NYR or bust account is accurate, it would certainly explain the St. Louis rumors coming out of NYC the last few days and the talk of Callahan for St. Louis.

But here's the problem on that front.

Tampa, especially now that Steven Stamkos is closer to returning, is a potential Eastern contender. St. Louis is a huge part of the Lightning attack and if you take a primary offensive catalyst out of the Bolts' lineup now, it's difficult to believe it could be accomplished with Ranger captain Callahan coming the other way on an expiring contract. Yzerman would want and need more from the Rangers than that.

And as long as we presume the Lightning want to remain a contender in the East this season, trading St. Louis for future considerations or younger, unproven players presents its own set of unique problems in the short term. As for the Rangers, they're not about to start giving up draft picks, prospects or young players for a 38-year-old. So the Tampa-NYR fit doesn't appear to be there.

i9PDEzgCKDrDj.gif

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Interesting that he apparently really did ask for a trade, at least on some level. Tampa wouldn't get good value for him though, he's too old, and they'd lose their other main offensive weapon. I do have to wonder what Yzerman did to tick him off like that (I'm assuming there's more to that than just simply not getting picked to Team Canada at first).

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Interesting that he apparently really did ask for a trade, at least on some level. Tampa wouldn't get good value for him though, he's too old, and they'd lose their other main offensive weapon. I do have to wonder what Yzerman did to tick him off like that (I'm assuming there's more to that than just simply not getting picked to Team Canada at first).

I'm not sure why there has to be more than not getting picked. He's playing out of his mind as a 38-year-old. He's 12th in the league in goals and points, and leading Yzerman's team in every offensive category. He had never been to the Olympics before and at his age he'll never have another chance. To not be picked by your own GM...I'd feel a bit betrayed in his position. I get that it's Team Canada and not picking sides in Gym class. Yes, it's absurdly competitive. But given his stats and his play and their relationship it just shows a total lack of faith and appreciation.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN

at work must reply, if anybody cares nick bjugstad answered fans ? on twitter. http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=706297&cmpid=rss-amanda cifu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad