OT: Non-Kraken Local Sports (Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, etc.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
They're doing it again, staying just close enough to make me believe but not close enough to actually win anything.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Sigh. Anyone else starting to feel like we’re not going to see a Mariners team in the World Series in our lifetime?
I just want to see a plan. An all in.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Sigh. Anyone else starting to feel like we’re not going to see a Mariners team in the World Series in our lifetime?
I just want to see a plan. An all in.

Yeah. I feel like 20 years from now, the stadium isn’t going to meet MLB requirements and ownership would rather they move them than pay for upgrades, following 22 years not making the playoffs. So not only will we never see it but that it will become a guarantee.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Yeah. I feel like 20 years from now, the stadium isn’t going to meet MLB requirements and ownership would rather they move them than pay for upgrades, following 22 years not making the playoffs. So not only will we never see it but that it will become a guarantee.
That’s a very likely scenario. Sadly.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
How many one-run losses can we trade last night's win for?

Feels like it's all or nothing with this team.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Back within 4.5 games.

Nothing would be more Mariners than getting within one game and then getting swept by the Astros.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I really hate Major League Baseball
I do too. I’m curious if our reasons align.
I’m a purist who always felt that the game needed (decades ago) batters to simply stay in the box and not constantly readjust their gloves, stance, jock, etc.
I can’t stand extra innings rules with runners in place.
I miss complete games by pitchers.
I miss when striking out was embarrassing. DiMaggio went a season with a ridiculously low number of strikeouts that some guys making trillions now eclipse in a homestand.
I don’t like the DH. Pitchers hitting made them accountable for what they threw at opposing hitters. Managers had to manage.
I loathe the competitive disparity that makes it almost a miracle for a small market team to be competitive without sucking for a decade to get there. The NYY, NYM, Red Sox, and Dodgers can just outspend other teams’ drafting and development.
Home runs are exciting, yes, but the “swing at everything” analytics driven approach to generating offense makes an entire game less exciting, in my opinion. There’s seldom small ball being played anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuhrious

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I do too. I’m curious if our reasons align.
I’m a purist who always felt that the game needed (decades ago) batters to simply stay in the box and not constantly readjust their gloves, stance, jock, etc.
I can’t stand extra innings rules with runners in place.
I miss complete games by pitchers.
I miss when striking out was embarrassing. DiMaggio went a season with a ridiculously low number of strikeouts that some guys making trillions now eclipse in a homestand.
I don’t like the DH. Pitchers hitting made them accountable for what they threw at opposing hitters. Managers had to manage.
I loathe the competitive disparity that makes it almost a miracle for a small market team to be competitive without sucking for a decade to get there. The NYY, NYM, Red Sox, and Dodgers can just outspend other teams’ drafting and development.
Home runs are exciting, yes, but the “swing at everything” analytics driven approach to generating offense makes an entire game less exciting, in my opinion. There’s seldom small ball being played anymore.
Was a HUGE MLB fan as a kid, would struggle to name even 10 players now. Probably half the teams in the league where I couldnt tell you a single player on their roster. Agree with the above but also wanted to mention...

1) Got sick of "The Code" or "Playing the 'Right Way'" as an excuse to hit a guy with a 99MPH fastball for some perceived slight, or break a guy's leg sliding into second 10 feet wide of the bag. It's just bullshit.
2) Combative umpires actively seeking out confrontations with both players and managers. Nobody came here to see you, blue. Nobody.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
1725918511817.png

Fun game (and a win's a win), though!

• Haha
Reactions: sigma six

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I grew up a Cardinals fan so Keith Hernandez & Ozzie Smith were unfolding in front of me with Jack Buck on the radio and my dad took me to many games. Baseball was the sport I played and I grew up obsessed with it like a lot of St. Louisans but after the strike in 1994 I checked out, have never attended a game since and focused on seeing the Blues win the Cup. One of my last attended games was in June 1992 Edgar Martinez had a big game and the Mariners beat the White Sox up at the Kingdome. I don't miss it at all, I have had my whole summers for three decades, it's been nice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad