Value of: Nolan Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Patrick just needs to get his head out of his ass for the 1st half of the season.

Year 1:
1st 40 games...9 pts: 18 point pace
next 33 games...21 points: 52 point pace

Year 2:
1st 38 games...11 pts: 24 point pace
next 34 games....20 points: 48 point pace

So he has shown over a good stretch each year that he can produce around a 50 point pace. He needs to prove he can do that over a whole season. But it's those sample sizes each year that you can point to that at least show that he has the ability to do it.

And fwiw, he won't likely be a 50+ point guy until he someday gets on the #1PP unit. On the 2nd unit, he will get under 10 PP points. He only had 2 this year on that 2nd unit.....8 the year before when he got some #1PP time. But with Giroux, Jake, Ghost, Couturier and JVR on the top unit, his points will be suppressed. He and the kids on the 2nd unit need to grow together to get that unit producing. Getting Provy off that unit and having Sanheim on it will be a step in the right direction.

Him getting to 40 ES points this year would be a good year. He had 22 as a rookie, 29 this past year. So there was improvement that is clouded by just looking at overall points.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
He's only 20 years old and still has potential, it would be idiotic to trade him now. But if Philly does decide to trade him, the only scenario I could see working out is if they trade him for another young promising prospect that is also struggling.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He's only 20 years old and still has potential, it would be idiotic to trade him now. But if Philly does decide to trade him, the only scenario I could see working out is if they trade him for another young promising prospect that is also struggling.
It just comes down to it being way too early to even think about it. At worst, he is already a #3C with good defense. And Flyers fans have seen with Couturier that some players take longer and have seen the payoff of patience. In the end, they need either him or Frost to be a scoring C(assuming they don't add anyone).

Just look at Mtl fans and how they feel about Suzuki. Or even Flyers fans with Frost. Same draft year as Patrick. I expect more from him next year...I did this year. If he can play with confidence and consistency, it's night and day vs when he plays with no confidence.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
He doesn't have the trade value that would make Philly want to trade him instead of holding on to him and hoping for the best.

Don't see a match with any of the other 30 teams.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I'd second Hunter. Patrick still has a long way to go before is consider Ehlers for him.

I would be willing to roll the dice.

I like Ehlers but we are high end wing heavy.

Gotta give to get but doesnt sound like Flyer fans are interested in moving him regardless.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I would be willing to roll the dice.

I like Ehlers but we are high end wing heavy.

Gotta give to get but doesnt sound like Flyer fans are interested in moving him regardless.
I don't blame you for liking him. I'm just not sold he'll ever be more than a 3C.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Brand new coach who focuses more on offense. Right now he stays until there's a reason to trade him.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I see Nolan Patrick as the Flyers eventual Captain. He should not be traded away for anyone until we see how he responds to the new coaching staff and their directions.
Personally, I think he's going to soar under the new coaches!

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
No doubt VGK and McCrimmon would be all over him if he is offered up. He seems to be after every former Wheat King.

People don’t seem to like a potential Kadri trade, what about William Karlsson for Patrick? Vegas has to trade away several players to sign him to begin with.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
He's worth more to the Flyers under their development than what the trade market would dictate. Would take an overpayment to snag him away. I don't think he is going to be an elite player like some of the previous and upcoming top 2 selections, but I certainly see 1C potential in him still.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Rangers offer Marc Staal, Brendan Smith, and exceptional prospect Sean Day. Instantly bolster your d core today and get a prized prospect for the future.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Patrick being used as a trade chip makes sense only if we’re using it to fill our number one right d or second line center. They have to be of similar age to the flyers core and perceived window of contention. There’s very few players that fit that bill, and I’d assume even fewer that would be moved.

There’s really no reason for the flyers to move him for a package of futures either.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Patrik Stefan, 1999-00 season, 20 years old, bust.

No one was calling him a bust in his 20 year old season. He was almost a.5PPG forward at age 20.

He went on to become a bust, yes. And its possible that Patrick does too. But he isn't now, just like Stefan wasnt then. Good try, though.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Patrick's a good player. Good 200 foot game. Offense hasn't fully come together, but the skills and instincts are there. Did not benefit much from Hakstol's illogical player usage, ice time fluctuations, line combos, or overall bad coaching.

Worth noting, also, that all but 10 of his career points are at even strength, and all but 2 last season were. He outproduced guys like Clayton Keller, Adam Henrique, Kevin Fiala, JT Miller, and Patrik Laine at ES. So, a very useful forward to have already if he plays a smart game in all three zones and his even strength production is in decent-third-liner-to-low-low-end-second-liner territory. He's on his way up. He might not end up a PPG+ center, but if he ends up a 65 point guy with a complete game he'll be an excellent dude to have on the team.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Rangers offer Marc Staal, Brendan Smith, and exceptional prospect Sean Day. Instantly bolster your d core today and get a prized prospect for the future.

Easiest no of all time. Quantity does not equal quality. Plus the Flyers already have an over abundance of defensemen, most of whom are better than Staal and Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad