Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Still think the Bieksa comparison from the draft works but I'd also throw in Hjalmarsson-lite.
Maybe it's just in my head because of the TDL, but he's got some McDonagh in him- though without the PP ability. But from a size/mobility/skill/IQ standpoint, and the two way game, they have some similarities.

Am not saying he's going to be McDonagh, just from a stylistic comparison they are similar.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
He made a bad pass near the blue line but aside from that good game . He has skating ability and seems to be a good two way d

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Maybe it's just in my head because of the TDL, but he's got some McDonagh in him- though without the PP ability. But from a size/mobility/skill/IQ standpoint, and the two way game, they have some similarities.

Am not saying he's going to be McDonagh, just from a stylistic comparison they are similar.

I've made the same link before. He has many of the same qualities that McDonagh has. If he improves his speed he's going to be something else.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I also thought of McDonagh. But McDonagh's speed allowed him to cover the ice with ease. He was such a good shut down d man against us in the playoffs. He would always catch our forwards and take the puck away.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I also thought of McDonagh. But McDonagh's speed allowed him to cover the ice with ease. He was such a good shut down d man against us in the playoffs. He would always catch our forwards and take the puck away.

He destroyed us offensively too the first time around.

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
This is the defenseman of the top 4, which will look great together with the attacking defenseman , clean up after him and perform a rough job

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
This is the defenseman of the top 4, which will look great together with the attacking defenseman , clean up after him and perform a rough job

He's a right though, and our attacking dmen (Weber and Petry) are also righties. Anyways, that's only a problem for now, in time the dcore will no doubt change drastically.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
On the right side?.....yes, I now remember seeing him play there, don't know if that was on the PP or is he there full time.....

More or less full time. Though with half of the shifts in a game starting on the fly, and his roaming style he plays pretty much everywhere. But I can't recall a faceoff that I've seen him lined up on the left.

Reactions: jaffy27

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
More or less full time. Though with half of the shifts in a game starting on the fly, and his roaming style he plays pretty much everywhere. But I can't recall a faceoff that I've seen him lined up on the left.

Interesting, I dont remember seeing anyone ever list him as a right D but instead as a left D.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Interesting, I dont remember seeing anyone ever list him as a right D but instead as a left D.

As a general rule, player position listings are garbage. There are even players mis-listed in the NHL. Wasn't there some controversy over the first all star team a few years back pertaining to whether Ovechkin played Left or Right wing? I think that was in Taylor Hall's 80 point season.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He actually plays RD most frequently. His best moves are cutting to the center so I'd keep him there.

I noticed this too but thought it was temporary. I'm sure he can play both sides? Lets say we get lucky and draft Dahlin... Where do you play him in our line-up? We wouldn't put him on the 3rd pair RD with Alzner, Benn or Schemko would we?

Also, I think we should entertain the idea of Petry playing on the left side at some point. Might open things up in our defense pairings moving forward. I remember Petry playing LD with Sergachev last year in pre-season a bit. Not sure how comfortable he is there.

Dahlin / Weber
Mete / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Benn, Schlemko

or

Mete / Weber
Petry / Dahlin
Alzner / Juulsen

Benn, Schlemko

or (if no Dahlin)...

Mete / Weber
Petry / Juulsen
Alzner / Schlemko

Benn

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Petry is a 3D because of his skill set. Juulsen would have to have that skill set to replace Petry. Right now he certainly looks like he has the potential for the 4D position.

The player he reminds me of is Cal De Haan of the Islanders. Not the best skill set but adequate enough to be a 3D due to his good defence and mobility with the puck.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I knew he would be NHL ready soon but I'm impressed. I don't think he plays in the AHL again.

He's been a very reliable Defensive defenseman for a few year now. I'm not surprised he looks good as this is the style of game he plays and he is very comfortable playing it. He knows his game and that is important in development.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Another development success by Sly.

Already this year we see Sly whip D -LO into shape in just 13 games, then there is Carr, Scherbak, Froese and Hudon.

Lol. Lets face it guys, Sly isnt going anywhere.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I noticed this too but thought it was temporary. I'm sure he can play both sides? Lets say we get lucky and draft Dahlin... Where do you play him in our line-up? We wouldn't put him on the 3rd pair RD with Alzner, Benn or Schemko would we?

Also, I think we should entertain the idea of Petry playing on the left side at some point. Might open things up in our defense pairings moving forward. I remember Petry playing LD with Sergachev last year in pre-season a bit. Not sure how comfortable he is there.

Dahlin / Weber
Mete / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Benn, Schlemko

or

Mete / Weber
Petry / Dahlin
Alzner / Juulsen

Benn, Schlemko

or (if no Dahlin)...

Mete / Weber
Petry / Juulsen
Alzner / Schlemko

Benn

Wherever he pleases, and I think that's at RD. Defence pairings can be run very well on a dominant/subordinate basis. We can have Weber, Dahlin, and Petry as our 3 RD, and whoever is on the left I basically couldn't care less. Because of the relative strength of one element of the pairing, the pairing should work.

That said if he wants to give it a go on the left side, the obvious combination with Weber could be a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017

Dahlin / Weber
Mete / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Benn, Schlemko

or

Mete / Weber
Petry / Dahlin
Alzner / Juulsen

Benn, Schlemko

or (if no Dahlin)...

Mete / Weber
Petry / Juulsen
Alzner / Schlemko

Benn

I dont know if Petry is comfortable playing left D like you said. Either way, it would be nice to be able to move Alzner down to the 3rd pairing as that is more of what he is capable of doing at this point. Mete looked extremely good during OT tonight and Juulsen looked good as well, if by some chance we got Dahlin then it would definitely boost the defense with both youth and skill. Imagin in a few years if Weber, Petry and Alzner are traded along with our various 3rd pairing options, the lines would still look good especially with the prospects that we have in juniors right now.

In 5 years time the defense could look like

Dahlin / Juulsen
Mete / Fleury
Staum? Walford?/ Brook

and that is not counting any potentially other defense candidates from this draft. In all honesty that could be a very nice young blueline for the future. However I would not count on getting Dahlin but more of a Boqvist level player in the draft.

One thing I do know for sure though is that we are stacked at goalie prospects lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad