Value of: Noah Dobson Offer Sheet

derkejohnlee

May 3, 2017
Didn't realize that Islanders have a bit of a cap crunch and a big offer sheet for Dobson in the 11.45M+ range could be challenging. The compensation would be 2 firsts, a second, and a third. Seems like a good price to pay for Dobson for the teams that have the draft capital or can arrange to get it. If it's a 12M+ contract, do Islanders match or take the 4 firsts? Which teams would pony up for a 12M compensation?

I think he'd be scary on a team like Dallas, Carolina, or Minny who I think could pull this off.

Rare to see a right shot, RD, off a 70 pt season have this kind of contract opportunity.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Didn't realize that Islanders have a bit of a cap crunch and a big offer sheet for Dobson in the 11.45M+ range could be challenging. The compensation would be 2 firsts, a second, and a third. Seems like a good price to pay for Dobson for the teams that have the draft capital or can arrange to get it. If it's a 12M+ contract, do Islanders match or take the 4 firsts? Which teams would pony up for a 12M compensation?

I think he'd be scary on a team like Dallas, Carolina, or Minny who I think could pull this off.

Rare to see a right shot, RD, off a 70 pt season have this kind of contract opportunity.
We only have $400k more space than the Islanders do.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
These days, the issue with offer sheets is that the teams with cap room are going to have high picks they don't want to give up, and teams with lesser picks aren't going to have cap room for a massive offer sheet.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Imagine if Florida was to trade Ekblad they would have a need and cap space to pull something like this off. Considering he only has a year left on deal and is a RHD should be a decent market for him. Their cap situation is actually pretty good moving forward right now. Islanders should not waste time signing him as only getting more expensive.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Imagine if Florida was to trade Ekblad they would have a need and cap space to pull something like this off. Considering he only has a year left on deal and is a RHD should be a decent market for him. Their cap situation is actually pretty good moving forward right now. Islanders should not waste time signing him as only getting more expensive.
Their 2025 pick has been traded, so no, they can't.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
This is the time of year when every notable RFA is rumored to potentially sign an offer sheet. There will be thread after thread about all of them, and none will happen.

Reactions: The Real JT

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Seems odd teams don't use this more to get good young players.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Dobson is under contract for 24/25. Nelson and Palmeri for $11 mill will come off the books. Lee and JGP will have 1 year left and a half the league MNTC, so if they get in a pinch probably can move JGP out if needed and/or do what NYR just did with Goodrow and waive him and do a side deal with a weaker club to claim him and give them something later.

derkejohnlee

May 3, 2017
A couple of things:
  • Dobson is a very good defensemen that plays a coveted position and will be eligible for a massive contract. If teams were going to pony up for a player, this could be the guy. Bouchard also in a similar position.
  • Is it hard for teams to add a huge contract that Dobson will likely get? Of course. For the better teams that aren't in cap hell, they can find a way. They can also accumulate the picks necessary to be able to provide the necessary compensation for an offer sheet. A lot can happen in a year.
  • He's probably re-signing with the Islanders. Dahlin was able to get 11M. With an increasing cap, I think 11.5M for Dobson, especially via an offer sheet and if he repeats his production next year, is very plausible. I'm almost expecting it. I did overlook Islanders cap situation next year, so matching from the Islanders likely won't be an issue. Doesn't mean a team can make the Islanders hurt by forcing them to pay Dobson an extra 1.5 to 2M. A lot of great teams will have the cap space to add a star like him. At 11.5M and the cost of 2 first, a second, and a third is good value for him. For a strong team like Dallas, Carolina, or Minny who look to have the cap space for 2025/2026 and the picks it could be worth it to offer the 11.5+ contract and pay the 4 firsts.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That compensation is only if Dobson accepts a 4 year deal. Once you go to 5 years, now it's 4 first round picks. Would Dobson accept a 4 year deal, maybe, if he doesn't want term.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
That compensation is only if Dobson accepts a 4 year deal. Once you go to 5 years, now it's 4 first round picks. Would Dobson accept a 4 year deal, maybe, if he doesn't want term.

How many players out there DON'T want term?

If someone offer-sheets him (whatever $) for four years he knows the Isles will offer him comparable $ for an 8 year term, which he wouldn't turn down.

If a premier RFA is getting offer-sheeted, accepted by the player with the original team walking away, it's got to be in the 4 first rounder range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad