News Article: No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I mean when he was playing at a 120 point pace and dominating with whoever his linemates were. Seems pretty obvious that’s not the Nylander we’re getting going forward though but he is definitely capable of being better than Marner or atleast as good.

So we are at peak Marner and 80% Nylander?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
And primary points. Nylander was arguably the best player in the team for a decent stretch of the season. I don't think we can say the same for Marner at any point last year.

Marner is a great player, but I think most folks wouldnt cite this season when talking about his highlights with the team.
no doubt about it.

Willie was better last season.
If anything, I am surprised that Hyman didn’t rank higher than MM, over 50 goals who also good in PK. Guess maybe his points total wasn’t as good.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
All these talks of who is better is really ego talks from MM fans.

Willie had a much better season than MM in 23-24.

Also let’s see who is the better player this coming season esp in the playoffs. Bc let’s face it, if any one of them gets like 150pts in the regular season and then disappears in the playoffs like 3pts in 6 games(Leafs lose in the 1st round). Does it matter what he got in the regular season?
In the same way, if he bombed it in the regular season like 75pts but win the Conn Symthe while leading Leafs to a Cup, only true haters and troll will bring his regular season numbers.

They just need to stop choking in the playoffs and start winning. No more excuses like depth scoring, coaching, goaltending…if they can’t even score more than 2 goals/game in the playoffs.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Can give whatever reasoning you want but I'd say Willy had a stronger season than Mitch, at least for 90% of it. Nylander cooled off like all get out to end the season, and Mitch hurt his ankle and which kept him out of commission for a while and hampered him upon his return. Given how the majority of the season and the playoffs went though it's more than fair to say Willy outperformed Mitch.

Overall? I suppose Mitch gets the nod as the better player. Both are similar offensively though Willy is the better goal scorer. Mitch is stronger defensively and plays on the PK (or at least has, we'll see what Berube does) but Nylander comes up more clutch in the playoffs and hasn't had the same "deer in headlights" performances that Mitch is now known for.

Either way I think the margin between them is slim. Mitch on his next deal shouldn't make much more than Willy currently is.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I have a new article idea.

Mitch Marner being timid and not going into the dirty areas in the POs is the reason why Nylander has more PO goals than Matthews over the past 4 seasons.

Or

Mitch Marner is a 2 stride pass (or less) player in physical PO series.

Reactions: PromisedLand

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think people whisper “Selke” a lot around Marner and it’s overstated.

That's fine, I don't think your opinion holds much weight when it comes to voting for the best defensive forward.

I'm curious how we can make Nylander's 3 even strength goals less than marner's 1 even strength goal for the 2023-2024 playoffs?

Where are those magical stats again?

The same way people have convinced others that Nylander > Marner, just keep saying it enough until people start believing it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Jason Robertson now that's a great winger.
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 8.12.54 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 8.13.19 PM.png

Agreed.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The same way people have convinced others that Nylander > Marner, just keep saying it enough until people start believing it.

Yes, when we're allowed to give opinions ...

With Matthews
Without Matthews

I do believe there is an impact there. My opinion, but I could be wrong.

Heck, it would be comical if the people calling Tavares a 3rd. line center and Matthews the greatest goal scorer in Leafs history think there is no impact on their linemates?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The thread is about an article that oversimplifies the notion that Marner is better under any circumstances, despite circumstances where Nylander is better.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
My opinion is reflected in his low ranking in the Selke race in a typical year.

I don't think you know how large the pool of players to choose from is if you think 20th or higher is low.

The thread is about an article that oversimplifies the notion that Marner is better under any circumstances, despite circumstances where Nylander is better.

I don't know if anyone saying Marner is better than Nylander agrees with him being better in every way.

He's still better though.

Reactions: authentic

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
My opinion is reflected in his low ranking in the Selke race in a typical year.

Just pushing this out for consideration.

Matthews the goal scorer can't be a Selke candidate.
Therefore the results must be due to marner, therefore the votes.
On second thoughts maybe it was Matthews, thus votes going to Matthews and not marner.

Selke is kind of one of those flakey awards anyway, opinion based.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just pushing this out for consideration.

Matthews the goal scorer can't be a Selke candidate.
Therefore the results must be due to marner, therefore the votes.
On second thoughts maybe it was Matthews, thus votes going to Matthews and not marner.

Selke is kind of one of those flakey awards anyway, opinion based.

The Selke is often a reputation based participation ribbon for a guy everyone likes and respect but they don’t quite cut it for a Hart or Lindsay. Patrice Bergeron was never going to win a Hart, but you load him up with Selke’s and boy do we love the guy. Etc.

Reactions: ULF_55

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Makes sense, the goalie isn't considered a skater.

So do they consider an empty net goal shorthanded since they are playing 5v6?

Where did the rest of the even strength goals go?

empty net goal at 5v6 is a even strenght goal too

the time you've got the same number of player at the same time on the ice ( goalie included) it's even strengh

when you get more player on the ice ( goalie included) it's a powerplay

when you get less player ( goalie included) it's a penalty kill...

that's it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad