News Article: No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

"It was not important enough"

"Vasi should have had it"

It was the first thing that came up on YouTube for "Marner playoff goal".

The steal at the blueline was the whole play.
Great sequence there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
New coach all the players will have a new and improved season.

marner <> Nylander

Different roles and asks.

Matthews >> Tavares

Does that impact things?

We should have a Tavares / Matthews thread?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
The steal at the blueline was the whole play.
Great sequence there.

I dare say his nickname suits him well

Mitch Marner​

Full Name: Mitch Marner

(Marns, Bruno Marns, Mitchy, Magic Mitch, Mouse, Mickey Mouse, The Magician)

Position: RW • Shoots: Right

6-0, 180lb (183cm, 81kg)

Reactions: ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Why was Gretzky the best? It surely wasn't his physical abilities like were listed for Nylander.

I will say they are close to a toss up recently, sure. I've said that before.

Marner has still been better overall.

Your point is rarely ever proven.
I could almost think you had never seen Gretzky play, but then again I thought the Marner/Gretzky comparisons were done.

Are you actually disputing the numbers, or just trying to deflect from the result by talking about me instead of the facts?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
New coach all the players will have a new and improved season.

marner <> Nylander

Different roles and asks.

Matthews >> Tavares

Does that impact things?

We should have a Tavares / Matthews thread?

I hope you are right, I think new coach - new system - less production but better team success. I wonder how the new d core is going to help move the puck to the forwards, are we going to see more one and done's in our own end ( I found the opposing teams had puck possession for too many times for extended pressure - we had a hard time breaking up d zone pressure - at times it looked the the Globetrotters were running circles around us - IMO ) and moving the puck out of the D zone quicker?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
last year vs tampa, Nylander played 44 % of the time at 5v5 with Matthews( 38 min and 7 second).. When they was together, they scored 1 goal and allowed 3 goal they scored was during the 7 minutes Marner was playing with both...

So he played 36% of the time with matthews but without marner, they didn't record a single goal as a line and allowed 3... and that's why Keefe finally split them abd came back full time matthews with marner

He also played 8 minutes with a line with tavares and oreilly, who was suppose to be a strong line and again didn't score a single goal and allowed 2.

so no that doesn't mean than Nylander would even producing more with better player
I use a four season example and you cherry pick one series? Really?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Everyone would agree that last year was Nylanders best season and a disappointing one for Marner, yet somehow Marner had better numbers. Weird.
Why would last year be a disappointment for Marner?

It was his career norm since breaking out. Marner has been a 1.15-1.23 ppg for 5 of the past 6 years.

It’s fair to say marners norm is nylanders career year, but saying this was disappointing is calling a majority of marners career a disappointment

Reactions: ACC1224

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I will say they are close to a toss up recently, sure. I've said that before.

Marner has still been better overall.

Your point is rarely ever proven.

I think they both have their positives and negatives, no team would complain having either one on their wing. Different players, different styles both have the ability to take you out of your seat and both have the ability to make you want to throw your remote at the TV. Willie scores more, Mitch sets up more, Willie is faster, Mitch is better defensively both can act like spoiled children - not sure one is better all around, they are just really good at what they do well.

If one player scores 30 and suppresses 20 and the other scores 50 but supresses none, is one really better than the other, the contribution in the end is the same.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why would last year be a disappointment for Marner?

It was his career norm since breaking out. Marner has been a 1.15-1.23 ppg for 5 of the past 6 years.

It’s fair to say marners norm is nylanders career year, but saying this was disappointing is calling a majority of marners career a disappointment
Just going on the impression you get from from some.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I was talking to a Habs fan yest. He doesnt think much of Marner and is glad Montreal isnt drafting those kind of players.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I could almost think you had never seen Gretzky play, but then again I thought the Marner/Gretzky comparisons were done.

Are you actually disputing the numbers, or just trying to deflect from the result by talking about me instead of the facts?

You'd have to be dumb to think they were being compared.

What was Gretzky's greatest strength?

I don't even know what you're talking about anymore.

Great play for sure. I guess the bar is low, since this was 47 seconds into the 2nd game of a series.

"It was not important enough"

"Vasi should have had it"

Shocking.

I was talking to a Habs fan yest. He doesnt think much of Marner and is glad Montreal isnt drafting those kind of players.

"Bottom 5 team is happy being bottom 5"

Who cares?

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I use a four season example and you cherry pick one series? Really?
i just get those stats since 2021 but

he played 28 % with him vs florida nothing

vs boston 7% 1 goal when carlo felt and gave up a free 2v1

vs tampa in 2021, he only played with both of marner and matthews...

so last 3 year, Nylander played around 53 min with matthews without marner +/- 3,5 playoff game full time and 66 minutes if you add the time when marner played with both 4.4 game.

he scored 1 goal with AM without MM, with MM this number raise at 2...

that's pretty close of kind of production AM and MM had together against Florida last year who was they're worst series ever offensively.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i just get those stats since 2021 but

he played 28 % with him vs florida nothing

vs boston 7% 1 goal when carlo felt and gave up a free 2v1

vs tampa in 2021, he only played with both of marner and matthews...

so last 3 year, Nylander played around 53 min with matthews without marner +/- 3,5 playoff game full time and 66 minutes if you add the time when marner played with both 4.4 game.

he scored 1 goal with AM without MM, with MM this number raise at 2...

So Nylander scored 8 goals without both?

1724252611945.png

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Great play for sure. I guess the bar is low, since this was 47 seconds into the 2nd game of a series.

1st goal of the game has a stasticial relationship to winning the game, if you think getting the advantage to winning a playoff game is a low bar... OK..

Reactions: Metroid

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Since when has a Habs fan opinion meant more than a fart in the wind? That is like saying you were asking a Bruins fan what they thought level headedness and integrity means...

..and yet they lose their minds when they pick up a soft whiner like Laine .. Marner booo ... Laine OMGZZZZZZZZZZ ....

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I’d still lean towards saying Marner is the better player, but it’s not as ridiculous as you’re making it seem. Could be preference between offence and defence.

Nylander has been better offensively the last two seasons while not getting the benefit of playing with Matthews. He has to play with whoever the coach feels like it that day. Also a better playoff performer as well. Marner still quite a bit better defensively so that tips the scales in his favour imo, but pretty close overall.

Nylander has the potential to be better than Marner, as he displayed before signing the new contract. He simply just doesn’t play well enough defensively on a regular basis.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1st goal of the game has a stasticial relationship to winning the game, if you think getting the advantage to winning a playoff game is a low bar... OK..
My guess any goal has greater impact on the game than no goal.
Leafs just need more saves ... they have not been blessed with big game goalies for quite some time.

Last 5 years
GWG
1724253381012.png

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Nylander has the potential to be better than Marner, as he displayed before signing the new contract. He simply just doesn’t play well enough defensively on a regular basis.

How so? Maybe his disappearing acts that he does every year, have to do with mental makeup, maybe?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I find it odd to single Nylander out for inconsistentcy when Marner hasn't started a single season with the Leafs on time - something that's plagued him as a player going all the way back to his junior days.

Both Nylander and Marner are great players, and both have their own unique warts to their game. I don't really see a big gap between either of them

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Mitch Marner Playoffs
Games 1-4:
39 points in 36 games= 1.08 PPG

Games 5-7:
9 points in 21 games= 0.43 PPG

William Nylander Playoffs
Games 1-4:
26 points in 33 games= 0.79 PPG

Games 5-7:
17 points in 21 games= 0.81 PPG

As the series goes along and the games get more important, Marner falls off heavily while Nylander remains consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad