News Article: No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
William Nylander is a more explosive, faster skater than Mitch Marner. He's stronger and can protect the puck in traffic better. And he's a better goal scorer with a better shot arsenal and touch around the net.

But I'm sure this will devolve into a debate about what a "circumstance" actually is and other time wasting nonsense.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
William Nylander is a more explosive, faster skater than Mitch Marner. He's stronger and can protect the puck in traffic better. And he's a better goal scorer with a better shot arsenal and touch around the net.

But I'm sure this will devolve into a debate about what a "circumstance" actually is and other time wasting nonsense.

All those things may be true, but Marner is still a better hockey player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Selke votes were clearly Dubas and Keefe's doing as well... They have way too much influence in this league.

Putting Marner's name beside the Selke is as misleading as saying Rielly and Norris together in the same sentence or Tavares and Hart Trophy, or Freddy Andersen and the Vezina.

Yeah, technically all three have received top 5 votes. But Mitch Marner has placed 14th, 33rd, 10th, 16th, 3rd and 17th in his career in Selke voting. So one time in his career he was second runner up and the rest of the time he's in the double digits.

Reactions: arso40

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Haven’t seen many.
Not sure what question you’re referring to
Not paying attention, I guess.

You said "Who they play with shouldn't be an excuse for players at that pay level."

I asked "Do you think Marner would produce as well playing with Kampf as his centre?"

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tied in points: 3
Marner leads: 4
Nylander leads: 1
Yes, and if you look at the last four seasons, it's 2 Mitch, 1 Willy 1 tie, unless you look at ppg, where it's 2-2.

Over the last four, Willy has 1 fewer point in 3 fewer games. A higher ppg, even while averaging 3 ½ minutes less ice time (over a minute less ES and almost a minute less PP).

Again, proving my point that Mitch may have been better years ago, but even with weaker linemates Willy is producing better now.

Thank you.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Are we allowed to post articles by James Tanner?
Didn’t he call Hyman’s contract with the Oilers “The worst in the league and it’s not even close”?

Yeah, I would say taking his takes with a grain of salt would be the understatement of the year, Lol.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Exactly. And the owners of said websites are desperate for any cash flow which subjects them to paid influences like The Marner Defense Conglomerate™ of Quartexx Management and its subsidiary Rocket Security.

How desperate Mitchy must be.

This.

Mitch PR machine working overtimes these days! The same fellows that wrote articles about Mitch being paid NHL salary in what is probably the fifth best league in EU? :DD

These guys are pros, 11M for RFA crier and we thanked him with NMC and frontloaded signing bonus heavy contract.

Objectively, unless Mitch is paid in MLSE shares next time, I can't see them trumping the RFA atrocity he is currently on!

All jokes aside, Mitch is a good kid, but if he lost 2 points of IQ, you could argue Paul and the rest is taking advantage of a special kid! That's why you know he can't sign a reasonable contract here.

Too many people care about their share of his salary as demonstrated by the latest propaganda piece.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
You can say that about the whole core

The idea making the rounds here that Nylander is some kind of playoff warrior is hilarious.

Compared to avoid contact at all cost and take 5 over the f*cking glass penalties?

Compared to lil Mitch crying on the bench?

William Nylander is freaking terminator compared to greedy Mitch :D. Sh*t compared to Matthews Nylander still looks like a playoff monster ( or at least he did last playoffs - unlike Mitch who despite his point totals never had a decent playoffs :D).

So yeah, when I sit next to my skinny sister I look beefed, when I sit next to my beefed-up brother I look Mitch Marner.

Not to mention, if useless Mitch played the way Winlander did this playoffs, we would never stop hearing about Mitch being super elite in the postseason !! For the next 20 years. Editor in Queef would sing praises, even if he never repeated such a performance.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
How do you figure that? Nylander is better in almost all aspects of the game, but Marner is better overall?

Why was Gretzky the best? It surely wasn't his physical abilities like were listed for Nylander.

Yes, and if you look at the last four seasons, it's 2 Mitch, 1 Willy 1 tie, unless you look at ppg, where it's 2-2.

Over the last four, Willy has 1 fewer point in 3 fewer games. A higher ppg, even while averaging 3 ½ minutes less ice time (over a minute less ES and almost a minute less PP).

Again, proving my point that Mitch may have been better years ago, but even with weaker linemates Willy is producing better now.

Thank you.

I will say they are close to a toss up recently, sure. I've said that before.

Marner has still been better overall.

Your point is rarely ever proven.

Reactions: ACC1224

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Putting Marner's name beside the Selke is as misleading as saying Rielly and Norris together in the same sentence or Tavares and Hart Trophy, or Freddy Andersen and the Vezina.

Yeah, technically all three have received top 5 votes. But Mitch Marner has placed 14th, 33rd, 10th, 16th, 3rd and 17th in his career in Selke voting. So one time in his career he was second runner up and the rest of the time he's in the double digits.

So he is only usually voted on as a top 20 defensive forward? Not following your logic... does this make him bad defensively?

You seem to be agreeing with me.

If all those things are true how can Marner be better?

There is more to hockey than physical ability.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
So he is only usually voted on as a top 20 defensive forward? Not following your logic... does this make him bad defensively?

You seem to be agreeing with me.

There is more to hockey than physical ability.
Agree 100%. There is also smarts, heart, drive and the willingness to sacrifice to make a play

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think the tie breaker between Mitch and Willy is how they handle pressers…….Willy always smiling and talkative.
Marner always petulant, scowling and genuinely not happy about answering questions from lowly reporters.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Regular season:
Marner > Nylander

Playoffs:
Nylander > Marner

That's all there to it folks.

Besides this not being backed up by stats, this is great.

I think the tie breaker between Mitch and Willy is how they handle pressers…….Willy always smiling and talkative.
Marner always petulant, scowling and genuinely not happy about answering questions from lowly reporters.

Depending on who this is, it either means they care or they are a baby.

MacKinnon for example acts like this but is considered a competitor.

Edit: I just realized this was specifically press and not general demeanor... who cares how the press is handled?

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I'll discuss those stats if you want to agree to these two things.

1. Tavares > Matthews, because that is what those stats tell us.
2. Marner > Kucherov, because in game 7s, Marner outperforms him and that is the highest pressure situation.

If you want to use that sample size for Marner only, then we can ignore it because it is a dumb conversation.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad