News Article: No, William Nylander is not better than Mitch Marner, under any circumstances

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Well youre right about all this. It comes with being overpaid. At the very least he will have to put up some stellar post seasons.

Nobody in this tow remembers anything about regular season players. The playoff performers are who get remembered.
Your right
Same goes for matthews. IMO he gets a pass in the playoffs because of his regular season scoring
It’s on them all now just not on marner only.
They all have to be accountable if they want to be paid like the mcdavid or draisitel of the playoffs.
I’ve only tried to justify the heat thrown on marner when people try to pretend Willy and Auston are these great playoff performers.

They all deserve to get shit on

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Your right
Same goes for matthews. IMO he gets a pass in the playoffs because of his regular season scoring
They all have to be accountable if they want to be paid like the mcdavid or draisitel of the playoffs.
I’ve only tried to justify the heat thrown on marner when people try to pretend Willy and Auston are these great playoff performers.

We have seen the numbers before, but maybe a reminder:

McDavid: +4% point production per game in the playoffs compared to regular season
Draisaitl: +23% more points per game in the playoffs
MacKinnon: +14% more points per game in the playoffs
Kucherov: -5% (less) points per game in the playoffs

Matthews: -24% (less) points per game in the playoffs
Marner: -20% (less) points per game in the playoffs
Nylander: -9% (less) points per game in the playoffs
Tavares: -34% (less) points per game in the playoffs

And at this point there is a large enough sample size to know these numbers are a trend, not really just because of 'one bad series'. Tavares has 38 career playoff games. All the other Leafs are between 55-60 playoff games each. Mcdavid and Draisaitl have 74 playoff games each, MacKinnon has 88. Kuch is well over 100.

The Leafs numbers are over a bunch of years. Some years with home ice, some years without. They've played good teams like the Panthers, Bruins, and Lightning. They've played teams they should have easily beat like the Canadians and Blue Jackets. They have come from behind in series, they have had leads in games and within games. There is no more excuse for the above performance.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We have seen the numbers before, but maybe a reminder:

McDavid: +4% point production per game in the playoffs compared to regular season
Draisaitl: +23% more points per game in the playoffs
MacKinnon: +14% more points per game in the playoffs
Kucherov: -5% (less) points per game in the playoffs

Matthews: -24% (less) points per game in the playoffs
Marner: -20% (less) points per game in the playoffs
Nylander: -9% (less) points per game in the playoffs
Tavares: -34% (less) points per game in the playoffs

And at this point there is a large enough sample size to know these numbers are a trend, not really just because of 'one bad series'. Tavares has 38 career playoff games. All the other Leafs are between 55-60 playoff games each. Mcdavid and Draisaitl have 74 playoff games each, MacKinnon has 88. Kuch is well over 100.

The Leafs numbers are over a bunch of years. Some years with home ice, some years without. They've played good teams like the Panthers, Bruins, and Lightning. They've played teams they should have easily beat like the Canadians and Blue Jackets. They have come from behind in series, they have had leads in games and within games. There is no more excuse for the above performance.
Interesting that the West Players all increase while the East all decrease.
Coincidence or is the West an easier go?

Reactions: BraveCanadian

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
"Defense wins Championships"

The Frank J. Selke Trophy is an annual award given "to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game."

Best Defensive Forward ... Bergeron 6 - Kopitar 2

View attachment 902545

PS. I've lost count how many time Boston has eliminated the Leafs in the 1st round against this group.

Bergeron looks like he became a defensive stud after his Cup, another post ruined by facts.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
All data in this article via Sportlogiq
The majority of
@NHL
@CHLHockey
@NCAAIceHockey
organizations are #PoweredbySportlogiq data & insights
lol... conveniently unavailable...? because its a company that requires a subscription to access its data?
So is free data from a blogger more accurate and trustworthy? Rather than a huge, leading, organization with lots of resources, that is used by NCAA, NHL and CHL?
This isnt even getting into ethics... you think an author is risking his entire career to sewer Marner? Lol
Odd that you have nothing to say about the actual discussion.

Sportlogiq and their data isn't the issue. The issue is, we don't have the data. and It's not possible to get the data or "subscribe", because their data is only accessible for teams, companies, etc. What we have is a media personality using selective parts of the bigger data set to craft a narrative, and it's a narrative that we can easily see is misleading and wrong from data we do have available to us (which I provided to you). He also seems to have made a mistake with percentages, unless you think somebody can take half of a shot.

Nobody is risking their career. Their job isn't to interpret data correctly, or have correct opinions. It's to get clicks, and you've given him a lot of those.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
@Dekes For Days thinks he can outsmart everyone (clearly narcassistic and thinks people are dumber than he is). For example, he saya "the data is yours," yet proceeds to acknowledge that it actually comes from a Sportsnet author and attacks the authors crediibility (which i said he would do, because thats all Dekes ever does).

He also states that "the data is conveniently unavailable," thinking he will fool casual readers into believing the source of the data is unknown or my own that I wont source, rather than a reputable organization used by the NHL, NCAA, CHL, and others that requires a subscription. Who in their right mind says conveniently unavailable, instead of recquires a subcription to access?

Dekes believes his writing is clever, but it is childish and hes not fooling anyone. Not yo mention his posts are emotionally charged, using terms like "suspicious" and "garbage," which have no place in an objective discussion.
Odd that you have nothing to say about the actual discussion.

Sportlogiq and their data isn't the issue. The issue is, we don't have the data. and It's not possible to get the data or "subscribe", because their data is only accessible for teams, companies, etc. What we have is a media personality using selective parts of the bigger data set to craft a narrative, and it's a narrative that we can easily see is misleading and wrong from data we do have available to us. He also seems to have made a mistake with the percentages, unless you think somebody can take half of a shot.

Nobody is risking their career. Their job isn't to interpret data correctly, or have correct opinions. It's to get clicks, and you've given him a lot of those.

Lmao you called it, he's literally doing it yet again.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The West doesn’t have as many top goalies as the Atlantic. Actually don’t think any division has.

But if a goalie can cause a -20% or more on three forwards who are all in the top 7-10 salaries in the league. Maybe those three forwards are just not worth the money.
Kuch is the closet and best example as he plays in the Atlantic, led his team to two Cups and three straight Finals and yet only had a drop of 5%.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That's because the West hasn't had the same quality of goaltending as the East. Easier to produce.
Players tend to trend with their team. That's why the top of the active playoff list is littered with players from the same teams. 6 of the top-9 is Edmonton/Colorado, and that doesn't even count Landeskog at 13th.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Anyone ever see Willie do this? In the playoffs no less?

Marner should be ashamed of himself for this display.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anyone ever see Willie do this? In the playoffs no less?

Marner should be ashamed of himself for this display.

Lots of Nylander examples if you look for them.

:laugh: Marner didn't even give up there, he took a different path. Anticipating where the puck will go is one of his traits.
Jeez dude, froth better than that.

Last edited:

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Follow the team and you wouldn't need anyone to show you.

Ok bud. If you take issue with something, you do your own homework. That’s how this works.

We were down 2-1 in game 2, and Marner is ducking hits. That’s unacceptable.

I’m sure there’s plays out there where Willie backs off when it’s out of reach, all players do that. Not in game 2, in a 1 goal game, by one of the “leaders” of the team.

Unacceptable.

We see every player in the league do that in the playoffs. It's the correct play sometimes.

In a 1 goal game in game 2? Literally the first shift of the 2nd period…

No, we don’t see every player in the league do that.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
As much of a Nylander-stan as I am, Marner has been on a different level over his career:
Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 2.15.27 PM.png

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In a 1 goal game in game 2? Literally the first shift of the 2nd period…
No, we don’t see every player in the league do that.
Who cares when it is? Sometimes it's more beneficial to get on the outside, block off the lane, and corner the player. Far from an uncommon thing.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Who cares when it is? Sometimes it's more beneficial to get on the outside, block off the lane, and corner the player. Far from an uncommon thing.

Who cares if we win or lose eh? Plays like that directly effect the outcome of a game.

Marner did not get to the outside to block the lane/corner the player. He ducked a hit. Lol “corner the player”, Marner has never done that in his life. We ended up losing possession immediately due to that poor play. That’s either a coward play or a lack of hockey IQ.

Way too much complacency from our fanbase.

I’ve played on multiple levels, not that it matters - but I would have been stapled to the bench, even in minor house league, for playing that way.

nobody is perfect

The score was 5-0 for tampa on that play, on a suicide pass from Rielly.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just want to check and confirm, both of them do play for the Leafs right?
Also both of them had won ZERO Cup for the Leafs.
Stop arguing who is the tallest of the Hobbits bc he is still short compare to Elfs.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Point per game marquee players getting dive bombed into corners like Gudas did Kampf is the opposite of what any sane competent hockey club wants happening. He just cost himself a 100 points season with an upper ankle injury.

Profound reply though.

So our “marquee” player(s) (and alternate captain) are exempt from any physicality?

It’s the playoffs man. What happened to the passion? A cup is not easy, there’s no easy routes to winning. Taking a hit to make a play is a part of the game, and is what separates the champions from the pretenders.

both of them do play for the Leafs right?

Not for long brother! Marner will absolutely price himself out of here, and we (in the long run) will be better off for it.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
So our “marquee” player(s) (and alternate captain) are exempt from any physicality?

It’s the playoffs man. What happened to the passion? A cup is not easy, there’s no easy routes to winning. Taking a hit to make a play is a part of the game, and is what separates the champions from the pretenders.
If you're going to put words in my mouth and make some random conversation with me you're going to get no luck or attention from me.

Summer is too short to argue with cavemen that think every athlete has to be injured to prove themselves.

Reactions: ACC1224

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Your right

Agreed but I also think none of them should get run out of town. Fair value trades only not boo him mercilessly and deal from a 1 down position

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
If you're going to put words in my mouth and make some random conversation with me you're going to get no luck or attention from me.

Summer is too short to argue with cavemen that think every athlete has to be injured to prove themselves.

Ok, Darcy Tucker. What words did I put in your mouth?

Not every hit results in an injury. Figured with a name like yours you’d be expecting a level of give-a-shit from our players.

Why are you here if you can’t defend your opinion?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad