Value of: No teams interested in Mark Giordano?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Gio would be a decent bottom pairing dman in Florida. If Maurice's system can make OEL look like a decent dman again, Im sure they can do the same with Gio.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Seems like a guy who will sign before the trade deadline, kind of like John Madden with the Panthers in 2012

He should rest up and condition

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Read the thread. I've linked them twice. Hockey reference shows he still a top 30 league wide in goals again per 60 despite heavy D zone starts in the past 2 seasons. Offense has fallen off a cliff, but the defense is still really strong.
Despite what some analytic numbers indicate, NHL teams don't seem to think highly of 2024 Mark Giordano. He was a healthy scratch for the Leafs in the playoffs and has not been offered a league minimum contract or PTO.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
So?

Age has nothing to do with whether a player can still play. Ovi is 38 and Sid is 37, are they too old?

Gio is likely done, but it is not because of age.
Nearly all sports players’ skill levels start to diminish as they get into their 30’s and certainly as they approach 40. Even with Ovi and Sid, they’re not what they used to be. Some players are still highly effective as they age, but to insist that age is not a factor is just ignoring the reality. Gio is not what he once was and it’s because his skills have diminished due to his age. If age has nothing to do with it then why aren’t players regularly playing until 50? 60?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
A solid response. Especially when you take into account that he actually played for your team and you still have no clue how valuable he was for you in your own end.

It is the response that so-called 'advanced stats' deserve.

"His goals against per 60 numbers are still elite", yeah like he is the only one on the ice over that time.

It is about as stupid as 'expected goals' because yeah, 'expected' is what matters not what someone actually does.

What a load of shite.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Nearly all sports players’ skill levels start to diminish as they get into their 30’s and certainly as they approach 40. Even with Ovi and Sid, they’re not what they used to be. Some players are still highly effective as they age, but to insist that age is not a factor is just ignoring the reality. Gio is not what he once was and it’s because his skills have diminished due to his age. If age has nothing to do with it then why aren’t players regularly playing until 50? 60?

I was posting quickly and probably shouldn't have said "nothing to do with". Instead I should have said "doesn't matter as much as some here think" because people were stating his age as if that was all that mattered. Gordie Howe was 52 when his final season ended and he scored 40+ points that year. Selanne was 43 and scored almost 30 in less than 65 games. Recchi was 43 and scored almost 50 points. Messier scored 43 when he was 43. Plenty of goalies play into their 40s, many of them hall of famers.

My point was that those dismissing him due to his age and nothing else were being stupid.

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I was posting quickly and probably shouldn't have said "nothing to do with". Instead I should have said "doesn't matter as much as some here think" because people were stating his age as if that was all that mattered. Gordie Howe was 52 when his final season ended and he scored 40+ points that year. Selanne was 43 and scored almost 30 in less than 65 games. Recchi was 43 and scored almost 50 points. Messier scored 43 when he was 43. Plenty of goalies play into their 40s, many of them hall of famers.

My point was that those dismissing him due to his age and nothing else were being stupid.
I agree some players have productive seasons after they’re at typical retirement age, but we can probably agree that it isn’t the norm.

I’d also agree that if he were still playing at the same level as he was 10 years ago or even 5 years ago, it would be dumb to dismiss him simply due to his age. But, at least in my opinion, he’s declining and based on history, it’s pretty evident that it’s due to his age. With that said, for my team, who’s rebuilding, I’d rather them give the opportunities to their young guys rather than Gio who would have no future with the team due to his age. (Also, you won’t find many Ducks fans who’d want him on the Ducks based on some questionable knee on knees)

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
So?

Age has nothing to do with whether a player can still play. Ovi is 38 and Sid is 37, are they too old?

Gio is likely done, but it is not because of age.
no thats quite literally the reason he is done and Ovie and Sid are slipping too. Its the very actual reason. I'm sure Gio's heart and mind are fine, it's very literally his body at 40 lol.

Reactions: Reinhart

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

You just mentioned basically all hall of famers from mostly different eras....the apples are oranges on this one

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Tried to end McDavids career like the piece of shit he is. Nothing but bad hockey karma for signing Gio. Kinda disappointed he’s not still with the Leaf’s.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Might be a good locker room present for Nurse to learn from. I guess it takes 1/2 a brain to learn tho and Nurse hasn't shown he has any amount of brains in his career.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Giordano isn't big, nor is he incredibly strong. He's been an excellent D man using his brain, and excellent positioning in the D zone. That being said, he's lost a step, and as a result he can't skate well enough to maintain his positioning. As stated, he doesn't have the size to make up for it.... and when you are out of position, small and no longer that quick.... you end up in trouble a lot.

He was very good for us at $800k for a season and a bit... and then as last season wore down, so did he.... by mid season he wasn't very playable and it just got worse. Father time catches up with everyone. When a team has had you a league minimum, and says no thanks even as a 7th or 8th dman... your time is up.

• Wow
Reactions: Ciao and Nogatco Rd

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The Leafs have been one of the most active teams in terms of acquiring bottom pairing/depth D-men. This is in large part because of how both injured and unreliable Giordano has been.

He's at the point in his career where age finally caught up to him. If I'm a team with cup aspirations that's thin on D like say Dallas or Edmonton, I'd be looking for fresher legs than Gio even at league minimum. There's countless AHL/NHL tweeners that're better options at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad