Value of: No teams interested in Mark Giordano?

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
40 years old? Pittsburgh be like:
1723306834821.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lots of snarky “he’s 40” responses but not a lot of substance in this thread. Guy is a former Norris winner and captain (plus his Norris was 5 years ago, not 15) if he’s willing to take $800k and play 60% of games there’s not much of a compelling argument for why you wouldn’t take him in your lockerroom and let him be a #7. He’ll end up somewhere.

He was in that role in Toronto last year and wasn't very good.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It clearly has made a huge difference since we’re discussing a league minimum contract to be a #7 and locker room guy. My point was only that it’s not like he hasn’t played at a high level in THIS league against its current talent. He has valuable experience and I’d be shocked if he isn’t signed before camps start.

How much of Giordano did you watch last season?

I promise you, it won't be shocking at all if he's not signed by the start of camp.

I think his best case scenario is a PTO.

It's strange that you're acting like five years isn't a long time for a 35-year old player.

Five years ago, Blake Wheeler had 91 points. Do you want him back in New York? Five years ago Phil Kassel had 82 points. Will you be shocked if he's not signed? Nicklas Backstrom had 72 points five years ago. And those guys are all years younger than Giordano.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
There are four or five 35+ defensemen in similar situations. I'd imagine he gets a call once teams (New Jersey for instance) need a defender to compensate for their immature (and in Hamilton's case veteran) offense-first "defensemen".

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He can be useful in certain situations and would be a decent depth signing for a lot of teams as a veteran presence.
That said if he’s holding out to play for a cup contender or is looking for a top four role he’ll have a harder time finding a spot. He did have stretches where he was a top four defensemen if used against certain systems but he’s exposed against some of the faster teams in the league.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He stated that he isn't ready for retirement and wants to play for a few more seasons. No teams want this guy even as a #7D?

Probably not that many spots left, most teams already have a few candidates to be a warm body #7 and/or don't want another veteran blocking a prospect. (insert McDonald's vs McDonald's at home meme here)

Ballpark LHD depth charts by division, obviously some guys can play on the right side like Heiskanen/Dahlin:

ANA: Fowler-Mintyukov-Dumoulin-LaCombe-Zellweger-Vaakanainen
CAL: Weeger(RH)-Bean-Bahl-Hanley-Solovyov-Grushnikov
EDM: Ekholm-Nurse-Broberg-Kulak
LAK: Gavrikov-Anderson-Edmundson-Englund-Moverare
SJS: Ferraro-Walman-Vlasic-Thrun-Mukhamadullin
SEA: Dunn-Oleksiak-Evans-Mahura
VAN: Hughes-Soucy-Forbort-Brisebois
VGK: Hanifin-Theodore-McNabb-Hague-Hutton

Maybe Vancouver, but they already have guys like Mark Friedman - Noah Juulsen- Guillaume Brisebois under contract to compete for the #7 spot. I'm guessing that Calgary wants to lean more towards younger guys.

CHI: Vlasic-Martinez-Korchinski-Brodie-Kaiser
COL: Toews-Girard-Kylington-Brannstrom-de Haan
DAL: Heiskanen-Lindell-Harley-Smith-Bichsel
MIN: Brodin-Middleton-Merrill-Chisholm
NSH: Josi-Skjei-Lauzon-Stastney
STL: Leddy-Suter-POJ-Perunovich-Tucker-Krug(LTIR)
UTA: Sergachev-Valimaki-Cole-Kolyachonok
WPG: Morrissey-Samberg-Stanley-Heinola

Barring further injuries, I don't see any openings.

BOS: Lindholm-Zadorov-Lohrei-Wotherspoon
BUF: Dahlin-Power-Byram-Samuelsson-Bryson
DET: Chiarot-Edvinsson-Gustafsson-Maatta
FLO: Forsling-Mikkola-Schmidt-Kulikov-Bjornfot-Balinskis
MON: Matheson-Guhle-Xhekaj-Hutson-Harris
OTT: Chabot-Sanderson-Kleven
TBL: Hedman-McDonagh-Moser-Lilleberg
TOR: Rielly-McCabe-OEL-Benoit

Maybe Ottawa, but they already have a #7D between Travis Hamonic or Jacob Bernard-Docker. Maybe Tampa?

CAR: Slavin-Orlov-Gostisbehere-Stillman-Smith
CLB: Werenski-Provorov-Svozil-Johnson
NJD: Siegenthaler-Hughes-Dillon-Hatakka
NYI: Romanov-Pelech-Reilly-Bolduc
NYR: Lindgren-Miller-Jones-Harpur
PHI: Sanheim-York-Seeler-Zamula
PIT: Pettersson-Graves-Grzelcyk-Aho-Shea-Ludvig
WSH: Chychrun-Fehevary-Sandin-Alexeyev

As other posters noted, the Rangers might have a #7 spot open if they don't have that spot earmarked for Chad Ruhwedel. Maybe the Caps depending on Ethan Bear's status with the player assistance program.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Exactly.

I'm baffled why there was a Leaf fan in this thread claiming Giordano could still deliver "solid minutes."

Perhaps like the difference between solid waste and liquid waste, the minutes he will deliver will be the solid type.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Probably has to go to a bad team in that role not a contender. Good career should have stayed in Calgary if he wanted to play forever.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is he a liability defensively? Rather get someone who won't feel tired when the playoffs begin. Can he skate

Pretty average mobility, still a decent passer, you can tell he was a great defenseman in his prime but the wheels have come off a bit. Can still block shots and a leader, as a #7 like 775k, you're not likely to get burned too badly.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
Gotta think he is going to be at best getting a PTO offer. Even as a #7 or#8 Dman, I'd want to see him in a training camp situation before offering a contract/roster spot.

I'd be curious if he would accept an AHL contract from a team, if that was all that's on the table for him.

Reactions: DaveG

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Probably not that many spots left, most teams already have a few candidates to be a warm body #7 and/or don't want another veteran blocking a prospect. (insert McDonald's vs McDonald's at home meme here)

Ballpark LHD depth charts by division, obviously some guys can play on the right side like Heiskanen/Dahlin:

Maybe Vancouver, but they already have guys like Mark Friedman - Noah Juulsen- Guillaume Brisebois under contract to compete for the #7 spot. I'm guessing that Calgary wants to lean more towards younger guys.

Barring further injuries, I don't see any openings.

Maybe Ottawa, but they already have a #7D between Travis Hamonic or Jacob Bernard-Docker. Maybe Tampa?

As other posters noted, the Rangers might have a #7 spot open if they don't have that spot earmarked for Chad Ruhwedel. Maybe the Caps depending on Ethan Bear's status with the player assistance program.
Buffalo also has ryan johnson.

He played with buffalo last year
Gets more rochester experience and primary call up. Expect him full time on buffalo in 25/26

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Could ask veteraN Leadership to a team like utah hocey club
I think Utah signed Cole for this reason and combined with Sergachev and Crouse is probably enough. I mean I wouldn't hate him since I think he can play his offside but Utah really needs RHD and are already inundated with plenty of LHD.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad