No one comes to 11 yr olds B-day party, Leafs+NHLers step up

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I mean, I wouldn't personally do it, but if the kid is struggling and isn't going to see any of this himself since he isn't on Twitter, what's the harm? The dad was probably pissed off and sad and took a chance and look at the outcome. It probably means the world to his son.

I think its well intentioned but not thinking of the consequences to his sons social situation. Especially the way it was worded and well, in public. Like we could've had DMs or even left out some detail about his friends right? I mean we are looking at this with a microscope obviously so its just maybe an overly critical look at what he did on whim possibly.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I think its well intentioned but not thinking of the consequences to his sons social situation. Especially the way it was worded and well, in public. Like we could've had DMs or even left out some detail about his friends right? I mean we are looking at this with a microscope obviously so its just maybe an overly critical look at what he did on whim possibly.
I can agree with this perspective. Some people just aren't as savvy and aware, and that's fine. He still could have had the right intentions like you said.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I wish no one showed up to my kids 11th birthday.
the little buggers wrecked my house and filled the switch with profiles named stuff like "cuk" "bichbouy"
"assmonkey" and the likes.

My kid is 7 and its nerve raking planning a big party bc even though you send invites to every kid in class and ask to be RSVP'd .. like no one rsvps except her besties. Even then, half her besties cant make it. You have some indoor trampoline park rented out for like $350 bucks and 24 party bags but you dont know who is going to show up. Then like 11 kids show up and your happy but like damn, I could have downgraded to the lower package if I had know.

Parents have to get their kids into organized sports and stuff or live in a tight nit town housey kinda of neighborhood where you have hoards of kids running in and out of your house all day.

If you live in the country and your kid isnt on an organized sports team and you send out blinds invites to his classmates and you dont know the parents bc you dont go to school events etc .. thats on the parents. I decorate my trunk for trunk or treat, socialize with the parents, kid is in ballet and BJJ.

Hard work, Id rather be at the house drinking a beer but you gotta get out there for your kid. You have to socialize for them (at least at 5, 6, 7 etc ...), you have to set up play dates. Ive been to parties where its only a few kids and I feel bad for the parents but those same parents didnt rsvp or show up to my kids b day party so ...

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
This is my thought too every time I see one of these. Does this kid really want to go viral for not having any friends? Sounds awful.
Junior's in on it.

"Hey son, make your worst puppy dog face so we can all get free shit." Like there's an 11 year old who wouldn't play that game.

Picture is probably timestamped for 10:15 am.

Kamaya Painters

Nov 8, 2018
My kid is 7 and its nerve raking planning a big party bc even though you send invites to every kid in class and ask to be RSVP'd .. like no one rsvps except her besties. Even then, half her besties cant make it. You have some indoor trampoline park rented out for like $350 bucks and 24 party bags but you dont know who is going to show up. Then like 11 kids show up and your happy but like damn, I could have downgraded to the lower package if I had know.

Trampoline parks for $350, party bags..parents these days are like an extension of their insecure kids. What about inviting a few kids and letting them play on their own..

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Trampoline parks for $350, party bags..parents these days are like an extension of their insecure kids. What about inviting a few kids and letting them play on their own..

My brother is rich and he does rich people birthday parties .... hence my 6 year old wanting her party at the same place her cousins was. He just took his family on a Disney Cruise, cant wait to hear about that.

Anyway, we do backyard parties, bowling etc but my point is the same. If parents arent out there spending time and effort getting to know other parents, making sure their kids are active etc .... dont just send your kid to school with invites to kids and parents you never met expecting them to just show up.

But thank you for taking an uninvited and unnecessary shot at me and my kid.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I'm surprised Matthews is allowed to speak to any children with that moustache. At least he's still staying 500 yards away from any school or playground.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Damn, this kid lives in the same town as me and I'm only just hearing about this now.

That must be such a helpless and sad feeling as a kid. Awesome to see it blowing up like it has and I'm truly looking forward to whatever it is the Leafs have in store for Kade.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
What’s amazing (and extraordinarily disappointing) to me is that people refuse to simply say happy birthday to the kid. Even in the worst case scenario that this is some sort of hoax (which also makes no sense), it costs nothing.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Really nice job by the players (as always with the NHL). I noticed the only D to show up was Reilly, wonder if that was a "accident".

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Feel-good story for sure, felt bad for the kid just seeing the pic. Good for the Leafs reaching out.

That said, it's weird that people can't handle others suggesting it was contrived...I have seen other similar stories in recent weeks where nobody shows up to a kid's birthday and next thing you know it's viral and everybody ends up coming in with their support. The dad seems like a pretty big Leafs fan himself based on that tweet. I know everyone wants the children to be showered with love and praise no matter what, but something seems a bit off or "staged" about this to me.

Reactions: MsMeow

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Feel-good story for sure, felt bad for the kid just seeing the pic. Good for the Leafs reaching out.

That said, it's weird that people can't handle others suggesting it was contrived...I have seen other similar stories in recent weeks where nobody shows up to a kid's birthday and next thing you know it's viral and everybody ends up coming in with their support. The dad seems like a pretty big Leafs fan himself based on that tweet. I know everyone wants the children to be showered with love and praise no matter what, but something seems a bit off or "staged" about this to me.
What if it’s not and all they want is for people to acknowledge the kids birthday? Is it that much of a bother for you to do that?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
You have some indoor trampoline park rented out for like $350 bucks and 24 party bags but you dont know who is going to show up.

Jeez I wish my parents were like yo!

Anyhow I dont think it's really necessary for all that. My birthdays consisted of board/video games, movies and general banter and we were all happy. That's the thing with kids, give then an Egg McMuffin and you'd think you gave them fillet mignon.

Reactions: Neil Racki

bov

Nov 13, 2010
What if it’s not and all they want is for people to acknowledge the kids birthday? Is it that much of a bother for you to do that?

Then that's great. Aside from you I don't see anyone being "bothered" by anything, instead just pointing out aspects of the story that seem contrived. Kind of bizarre you're policing the thread because of some need to "acknowldge" the kid's birthday.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Then that's great. Aside from you I don't see anyone being "bothered" by anything, instead just pointing out aspects of the story that seem contrived. Kind of bizarre you're policing the thread because of some need to "acknowldge" the kid's birthday.
You missed the thread. People made it a point to mention that it’s a hoax.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Look, I don’t care if no one goes to my funeral. But how inconvenient is it to wish a little kid happy birthday?!?!?!

He has been wished a happy birthday more than most people in the history of the world at this point. I'm happy for the kid and think he'll be just fine, you on the other hand....

But happy birthday to your son. Enjoy the free tickets.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
He has been wished a happy birthday more than most people in the history of the world at this point. I'm happy for the kid and think he'll be just fine, you on the other hand....

But happy birthday to your son. Enjoy the free tickets.
You’re way off base.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
You’re way off base.

Again, I'm sorry that you cannot handle people saying it seems contrived. There have been numerous intances just like this one where there's a birthday no-show and suddenly, things go viral and those poor lonely souls get all kinds of support and attention. It doesn't mean anyone is a bad person or "couldn't be bothered".

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Again, I'm sorry that you cannot handle people saying it seems contrived. There have been numerous intances just like this one where there's a birthday no-show and suddenly, things go viral and those poor lonely souls get all kinds of support and attention. It doesn't mean anyone is a bad person or "couldn't be bothered".
Yeah, that sucks. Or it’s just the birthday of of some poor kid with no friends.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well... Good for them, regardless.

Still, every single time with news like these, I wonder if these people genuinely care or if it's just done for PR.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00