Confirmed with Link: [NJD/FLA] Marc Savard and 2018 2nd rounder for Paul Thompson and Graham Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I'll admit to being a little sad seeing Graham Black go, I thought he might turn it around after getting his health in order, but I can't say I'm not happy to get the extra second.

I think we'll see more like this over the course of the summer for the Devils.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Great, shows Shero is actively pursuing this market opportunity and the Devils still have a ton of room.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Good that it shows Shero is willing to use our cap space as an asset. Kind of a meh return because of how far away the pick is, not that Thompson or Black have a ton of NHL upside.

I'm guessing/hoping Shero plans to package some picks back out at the draft.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So we traded two AHLers for 2nd two years from now. I literally have no feeings towards this. Is that good or bad? (My emotions, not the deal)

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Good that it shows Shero is willing to use our cap space as an asset. Kind of a meh return because of how far away the pick is, not that Thompson or Black have a ton of NHL upside.

I'm guessing/hoping Shero plans to package some picks back out at the draft.

Definitely thinking this is the case.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So we traded two AHLers for 2nd two years from now. I literally have no feeings towards this. Is that good or bad? (My emotions, not the deal)

Good if we package it. Meh unless it turns into something years from now. Only other thought is Shero is concerned about us reaching the floor?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Meh. This doesn't bode well for landing a big FA this offseason if we're trading for cap space

The pick is an asset that won't play for at LEAST 5 years. If they ever play in the NHL.

And FC Florida is going to be good for a while. So this is a low round pick.

Jim is going to be very sad.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I feel like Shero's really keen on adding draft picks, wherever he can get them. I think that's something Lou neglected a little bit in recent years.

Rebuilds need picks to fuel them. I'm happy to have another one.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
^There really was no "trade", the Devils paid $4M for a 2nd round draft pick and camouflaged it with 2 bags of pucks. Interesting concept to consider the monetary value of a draft pick.

This is great for the Devils, but frankly I'd like to see the NHL prohibit the shenanigan of monetizing NHL draft picks.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Meh. This doesn't bode well for landing a big FA this offseason if we're trading for an asset that won't play for at LEAST 5 years.

Jim is going to be very sad

I don't know how many truly big free agents there are to be had to begin with. The premium guys are going to prefer contenders unless we drastically overpaid.

Savard only carries a 4 mil cap hit and you're allowed to go 10% over the cap during the offseason. Taking on Savard doesn't necessarily hinder your ability to make competitive offers. Savard's going on LTIR anyways.

It's a nice trade chip to have. If we're hopefully in the hunt for the playoffs next season, we could use that (or a comparable pick) towards a deadline pickup. Similar to how we gave up a first rounder to San Jose to dump Malakhov. Several months later they used that pick to rent Bill Guerin for the playoffs.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
^There really was no "trade", the Devils paid $4M for a 2nd round draft pick and camouflaged it with 2 bags of pucks. Interesting concept to consider the monetary value of a draft pick.

This is great for the Devils, but frankly I'd like to see the NHL prohibit the shenanigan of monetizing NHL draft picks.

If you have a hard salary cap you're going to have deals like this. Penalizing teams for reacting creatively to a restriction is silly.
I don't know how many truly big free agents there are to be had to begin with. The premium guys are going to prefer contenders unless we drastically overpaid.

Savard only carries a 4 mil cap hit and you're allowed to go 10% over the cap during the offseason. Taking on Savard doesn't necessarily hinder your ability to make competitive offers. Savard's going on LTIR anyways.

It's a nice trade chip to have. If we're hopefully in the hunt for the playoffs next season, we could use that (or a comparable pick) towards a deadline pickup. Similar to how we gave up a first rounder to San Jose to dump Malakhov. Several months later they used that pick to rent Bill Guerin for the playoffs.

This. Draft picks are currency in the trade market. You can be sure that second has more value than Black and Thompson would have had under any normal circumstance. It's also more universally useful, so more teams will have interest in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad