Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] F Ondrej Palat signs with the Devils (5 years, $6M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Hell yeah.

He can throw compliments at Hughes like, "you're a great young talent!", "insane pass buds", etc etc

I'm already walking myself out

We'll done.

Extra amusing is that that's even a big part of who he is. Asked once a while ago about how his play had recently improved his response was (paraphrasing, from memory) "Well, the best way to get better at hockey is to get back on a line with Nikita Kucherov".

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Good for Pally to get that money. He's definitely earned it.

Don't get too down on him during the regular season, Devils fans. It's the playoffs where his true value comes through.
What are the playoffs?

Deal seems pretty reasonable for me, a team with playoff aspirations adds a piece to assist the young stars. I do wonder if the Devils will be good enough quickly enough to get the most out of this.
It all hinges on the goaltending. If we have another season of .880 team save percentage, than we’re in the Bedard race. If we can get league average-ish goaltending, than we should at least be in the conversation.

Reactions: D3vilsH0ck3y

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Wut?
View attachment 569083

And exactly would he drive? 🤨

Columbus is little more than an hour flight home. Calgary doesn't even have a direct flight to anywhere near home and even if it did it would be a 4+ hours. As is his best options were 7 hour connecting flights, not to mention not having to clear through customs anymore, pretty sure he wasn't lying about rather not having to deal with that hassle.

Yeah no shit that’s my point

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think 5 years is a bit long, but if they can get into playoffs, he can be an unsung hero for them. (I guess not really unsung at this point). I'm not sure where he fits though for the regular season - is there a top 6 spot? Does he join Bratt, Mercer, and Sharangovich? Or is the expectation to give Holts top 6 minutes?

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
this is nonsense. Gaudreau could have easily won the Hart this season, one of the best players in the world 9.75 is less than he's worth.. I swear people here act like if you're not MacKinnonn making 5m a year its a bad contract.
You don't swear, that's just how people actually act on here. If any HFboards member was a GM they would have a team full of ELC players because all of their stars would walk away as they would refuse to sign a player over $6M

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
Don't like the fit (although don't know NJ's depth chart all that well), I see Palat as 'finishing' piece to a contender...NJ is starting to (hopefully for the their fans) open their winning window

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I think 5 years is a bit long, but if they can get into playoffs, he can be an unsung hero for them. (I guess not really unsung at this point). I'm not sure where he fits though for the regular season - is there a top 6 spot? Does he join Bratt, Mercer, and Sharangovich? Or is the expectation to give Holts top 6 minutes?
Yes, he will be in the top 6, either with Jack or Nico.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Don't like the fit (although don't know NJ's depth chart all that well), I see Palat as 'finishing' piece to a contender...NJ is starting to (hopefully for the their fans) open their winning window
That’s my only thing with the deal, as NJ really gets into their window is Palat on the downslope? But this team needs to push forward and Palat adds elements they desperately need.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This is the first guy we lost that actually kinda hurts a bit. Ultimate glue guy, great defensive player, and will be the smartest guy on any line you put him on.

Term and money yeah I get why NJ fans may not love it considering his age, but Palat's a f***ing gamer and I could see him aging like Hossa.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Palat has to be the consistent 5v5 scoring rates in the history of the league. This is his 5v5 P/60 over the past 7 years:

I've never seen anything like that...

Guy just turned 31, and was on pace for 65 points last year when Kucherov was out and he was able to take his PP spot.

With the opportunity he's going to get in NJ, I think he'll be a 60-70 point pace over the next 3 years.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I would think hes definitely going to play with one of Hughes or Hischier. If it were me, I would probably roll Palat-Hischier-Bratt as they would be a monster possession line

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
The biggest positive of this deal is that Kucherov and Stamkos will not have Palat with them next playoffs. :D

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Solid signing, Palat will be great with the kids in NJ. NJ never really needed Gaudreau, Palat is a better fit because of his experience.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Well yes he does.
$6M AAV for a 31 year old that’s primarily a playoff performer. Don’t see the Devils making the playoffs with their current roster. I dont see the contract aging well, but I don’t know what the contract structure is like.

Trocheck is a 29 year old 2C at a lower AAV and a contract structured so that he can be traded easily in his later years. If/when Chytil eclipses him, he can slot in beautifully at 3C.

Also one was a consolation prize while the other was a main target. I’ll let you figure out which is which

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
$6M AAV for a 31 year old that’s primarily a playoff performer. Don’t see the Devils making the playoffs with their current roster. I dont see the contract aging well, but I don’t know what the contract structure is like.

Trocheck is a 29 year old 2C at a lower AAV and a contract structured so that he can be traded easily in his later years. If/when Chytil eclipses him, he can slot in beautifully at 3C.

Also one was a consolation prize while the other was a main target. I’ll let you figure out which is which
Not sure this is saying what you think it’s saying.

Trocheck got an extra two years on term and will be Palat’s age at expiration. Their career scoring rates are pretty similar and as you mentioned, Palat has a great playoff resume.

Personally, I’d take Palat even with the minor age difference, but especially with the Devils current cap structure it’s not a deal with handicaps them, provided they don’t hand out term like crazy in the coming years.

Good luck with the Chytil thing.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Yeah, but you're forgetting that Palat is better than Trocheck

Reactions: Bankers Box

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

How do you know the Devils and Palat weren’t working on a deal before Gaudreau was announced? It’s not like Palat and Gaudreau play the same game. They could have been trying to sign both.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Sweet signing. Tampa Bay looking like they might take a step back maybe?
Mayyyyyyyyyyyyybeeeee a BOO V: The Dream is Alive in the first round next year?

Good work on Devils here, that's a solid, solid piece for them at a very reasonable price.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Nooo you guys were supposed to trade for Miller...🤬

This is maybe 1 year too long but that's to be expected. The AAV is fine.

Reactions: MakoSlade

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

With adequate goaltending we might surprise and make the playoffs. I am not worried about a 5 year deal, He should be productive for 3 to 4 years.

There was much talk about other centers Rags were interested in (Kadri), don't remember anyone mentioning Troch before he signed. So I guess I figured it out the consolidation prize, eh?

Reactions: MakoSlade

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
With adequate goaltending we might surprise and make the playoffs. I am not worried about a 5 year deal, He should be productive for 3 to 4 years.

There was much talk about other centers Rags were interested in (Kadri), don't remember anyone mentioning Troch before he signed. So I guess I figured it out the consolidation prize, eh?
Kadri rumor was bullshit from Sev. They were never gonna pay him $8M AAV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad