Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] F Ondrej Palat signs with the Devils (5 years, $6M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
Great signing other than it’s 2 million more per year than what he’s worth, which is why Tampa didn’t resign. I’ll miss him in Tampa.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
What makes Palat special is how he can take an okay line and turn it into one of the hottest lines in the league. Like 90% of the hot TB lines have had Palat on them, going back to the Triplets. I think Palat-Filppula-Callahan even predated that.
How hot is never hitting 50 pts. He has timely goals for sure but I don't think he has produced to his potential. Jmho...liked palat but always thought he underachieved

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
He’s the type of player that does stuff that doesn’t always show on the scoreboard, and also the type of player that does stuff that does show up on the scoreboard at important times.

He’s a bit old. His best days are probably behind him. The AAV is a little high. But this is exactly the type of player the Devils need to balance out their high octane, allergic to defense forward corps.

This Ranger fan is not happy about this deal.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
How hot is never hitting 50 pts. He has timely goals for sure but I don't think he has produced to his potential. Jmho...liked palat but always thought he underachieved

You may want to double check on that

423 points in 628 games is nothing to scoff at when on every line he's on he is the one who is doing all of the hard work in the corners and defensively.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
You may want to double check on that

423 points in 628 games is nothing to scoff at when on every line he's on he is the one who is doing all of the hard work in the corners and defensively.
know he had 53 one yr...tko line...6 years ago

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Great signing other than it’s 2 million more per year than what he’s worth, which is why Tampa didn’t resign. I’ll miss him in Tampa.
Frank Saravelli said Palat went to the Bolts and told them he's willing to sign the same contract as Nick Paul to stay with the team. I find that a bit hard to believe but that's what he said and he's pretty credible.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
He’s the type of player that does stuff that doesn’t always show on the scoreboard, and also the type of player that does stuff that does show up on the scoreboard at important times.

He’s a bit old. His best days are probably behind him. The AAV is a little high. But this is exactly the type of player the Devils need to balance out their high octane, allergic to defense forward corps.

This Ranger fan is not happy about this deal.

I don't disagree but the Devils were an average 5v5 defensive team, their goalies utterly shit the bed. 3 goalies that played a good chunk of games that were .890% save

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
He's gonna show the kids what it takes to be a great team, proven winner. AVV is about 1m more than ideal but doesn't really matter for the Devils right now.

If he can put up 50pts, play great d and be a role model to our kids, it's a nice deal

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah but he turned Kucherov into a playoff monster. Or at least had a big hand in it.

Frank Saravelli said Palat went to the Bolts and told them he's willing to sign the same contract as Nick Paul to stay with the team. I find that a bit hard to believe but that's what he said and he's pretty credible.
Seravelli has been great for a couple of years now but I really dont buy this one.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Man, I can't believe this. If true, I'm even more depressed and angry

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Palat has to be the consistent 5v5 scoring rates in the history of the league. This is his 5v5 P/60 over the past 7 years:

I've never seen anything like that...

Guy just turned 31, and was on pace for 65 points last year when Kucherov was out and he was able to take his PP spot.

With the opportunity he's going to get in NJ, I think he'll be a 60-70 point pace over the next 3 years.

which...is what everyone has been saying. It's the last 2 years where he'll fall off a cliff imo. I don't quite think it's that big of a deal but if the devils aren't in playoffs next season and start competing, I just don't see the point of this deal. Palat isn't a franchise player that you don't pass the opportunity to sign, like JG and Hamilton.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
which...is what everyone has been saying. It's the last 2 years where he'll fall off a cliff imo. I don't quite think it's that big of a deal but if the devils aren't in playoffs next season and start competing, I just don't see the point of this deal. Palat isn't a franchise player that you don't pass the opportunity to sign, like JG and Hamilton.
He'll still be a very good player those last 2 years.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
wasn't he a 7th round pick? Pretty sure he exceeded his potential

Devils needed more NHLers, Palat is a fine one
yeah he'll help that lineup, even if he's not a superstar. They need solid wingers.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Good structure here. Top heavy with a decent buy out after year three, no ntc or nmc for cap dump purposes

They basically think he has another 3 good years in him or if he shows signs of decline in 24-25 then you can easily trade them to a rebuilder. NMC or NTC is a win too.

Reactions: Forge

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
I would think hes definitely going to play with one of Hughes or Hischier. If it were me, I would probably roll Palat-Hischier-Bratt as they would be a monster possession line
Honestly id like to see Palat-Hischier-Mercer. Put Bratt with Jack and make a run at Matthew Tkachuk if available. The Devils are truly in position now to make a run at a top 6 winger via trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad