Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
I would say probably a bit more, but honestly not much. He is classified as a big physical shutdown DMan and in reality, he is only really big.

But he has next to no offensive capabilities whereas Hamilton is an elite offensive DMan.
Bahl is solid defensively but he’s so bad offensively it’s a net negative. But yea he never uses his size. He was last year in the playoffs and earlier in this year then stopped.

The goalie turns 35 next Season and is coming off back to back mediocre seasons.

Fitzgerald is a disgrace, well done Calgary.
Lmao he literally was second in goals saved above expected this year. Last year was mediocre and the year prior was a vezina nominated season.

Sorry, 5th.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I like NJ and think they just got better.

I like Vladar and think he may have just got more opportunity (while Wolf works his way to full time)

So I like the trade!

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
As a Devils team I like it for both teams. Devils desperately need competent goaltending. 2025 1st being top 10 protected shields them from a nightmare scenario if they have another disaster season.

Bahl is good but far from irreplaceable. Flames get an NHL level player and a future prospect.
i definitely want new jersey to hand the flames their 25 1st round pick

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Based on what I noted about him for the last little bit (but unsure of value), he's probably similar to what we have in Kuznetsov or Hurtig. I still do think that Conroy is experimenting with a style matching type of defense prospect development.
hurtig? the one the devils drafted as an overager?

i can't say i followed him. but on the devils board he was considered a bad pick.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Kevin Bahl is Larry Robinson or Jacob Trouba compared to Dougie Hamilton. Not sure what the Flames had in terms of a defense corps but whatever it would it could not be worse than what the Devils will be putting on the ice this season with Hamilton and Luke Hughes on the ice two-thirds of the time.

If nothing else, Markstrom will have plenty of opportunities to make highlight reel saves. The Rock will be odd-man rush central.

Flames probably be running:

Weegar - Andersson
Kylington* - Miromanov
Bahl - Pachal

It ain't league average, but I think it's still solidly above the bottom 10 teams for worst d corps.

IIRC, DeSimone did a better than expected job for you guys as a depth guy off waivers. I think former Flames are a decent fit to how the Devils want to play.

For depth, if NJD is hoping to retain draft capital and futures, I wouldn't be surprised if you guys looked into UFA dudes like Hanley, Gilbert and Oesterle as a 6/7th dman.

hurtig? the one the devils drafted as an overager?

i can't say i followed him. but on the devils board he was considered a bad pick.

Different Hurtig. Yours is Viktor, ours is Axel. I looked into it a few months ago wondering if the Flames might look into a guy like that if experimenting with a special development method where they get guys with similar styles but also guys who have played with each other before to improve the chances they develop into NHL calibre guys.

They have brothers, but aren't related to each other.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Overall, both sides have to be pretty satisfied with this deal.
I was hoping for a bit more, but 20251st will do. Hopefully Bahl can prove some wrong.

This thread just shows how few people know how good Markstrom can be. A few NJ fans should be embarrassed with how they posted about him in so many threads.
Kudos to @Forge , you were always a reasonable poster - hope he does well for you (but not too well ;))

Can't speak for all Devils' fans but the negativity regarding Markstrom has more to do with the team and media-generated narrative that goaltending is the biggest issue with a seriously flawed roster and that Markstrom (or any elite goalie) will magically solve the team's issues.

Much like Toronto the Devils are an entertaining club, built to put up fantasy hockey points and highlights for the nightly sportscast. They have neither the size, combativeness nor depth to be taken seriously in terms of playing for a championship.

Markstrom, nor any of the Devils other big ticket players, doesn't change that.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Wow. Read the first couple pages. A whole lot of people eating crow after shouting down Double Dion lol

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
No I didn't. I said Markstrom would bring back a 1st and prospect. I said I guarantee it. My guess was a 2025 1st and either Holtz or Casey. Bahl is better than Casey and not as good as Holtz. Do you often lie when you're clearly wrong instead of owning it? That's a pretty big character flaw.
obviously you can like bahl better than casey. but this is just your opinion. i can guarantee more than 80% of devils fans wouldn't trade casey for bahl 1 for 1.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Who is your best winger in your mind, Meier? You are using the excuse of him missing a whole 13 games last year as a reason for poor performance? Bratt played 82. Hughes still played 60+ games, expecting 82 out of him goes against his entire NHL history. You had one actually serious injury in Dougie. If that’s all it takes to derail the season then maybe you’re not “almost certainly” going to be picking in the 20s

I'm not following your convo. I just want to point out that Meier played with injuries to BOTH his MCLs last year. It seemed like in March is when he finally got healthy.

Hughes was clearly limited by his injury. of those 60ish games played, 20 were pre-injury.

Mcleod did Mcleod things - so not an injury per se, but we lost a guy having a career year at his position.

A slew of other various injuries throughout the year (Siegenthaler, Hischier, Noesen)

I believe the timeline was.... from the the 2nd game of the season until around January... we didn't play a single game with our full forward lineup.

Plus - just when it looked like Vanacek might wake up - he ended up getting what was essentially a season-ending injury.

Again - i'm not going to go back to the context of the debate you're having. I do want to point out - everything went wrong for the Devils last year. Injuries were all over.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Who is your best winger in your mind, Meier? You are using the excuse of him missing a whole 13 games last year as a reason for poor performance? Bratt played 82. Hughes still played 60+ games, expecting 82 out of him goes against his entire NHL history. You had one actually serious injury in Dougie. If that’s all it takes to derail the season then maybe you’re not “almost certainly” going to be picking in the 20s
way to show your ignorance.

Meier was playing a lot of the year with two MCL injurers and a bum shoulder

now don't show your face in the thread again.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I love this deal for LAK. I know a few Kings fans were hoping Blake would have gotten sent packing this off season but not many GMS are dynamic enough to pull this deal off. Big picture is that LAK sheds them of a problem who was 11 days away from a NMC kicking in, they save a shit load of money and they get a goalie that can play 30 to 40 games a year, His price tag maybe a bit much but he is still servicable

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The goalie turns 35 next Season and is coming off back to back mediocre seasons.

Fitzgerald is a disgrace, well done Calgary.
What is your point? I honestly have no idea.

I simply stated that all the "experts" around here said that they just needed a goalie and now that they got one, they're back to a rebuilding team that shouldn't be making deals like this.

Also it's pretty funny to call someone a disgrace because they filled their biggest need without giving up much in the way of assets. If he'd given up 10th OA or a legit prospect, I could see being upset about it, but a protected 1st and a bottom pairing D to fill your biggest team need with retention, doesn't seem like that big of a deal. As long as Markstrom can be NHL average or slightly above it, it should be okay.

Bond

May 10, 2012
obviously you can like bahl better than casey. but this is just your opinion. i can guarantee more than 80% of devils fans wouldn't trade casey for bahl 1 for 1.
What about Bahl versus Holtz? I almost like Bahl better for the Flames than Hotlz since they already have Coronato

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Didn't expect this to happen before the finals ended but the move itself is not surprising.

But even for a goalie this is a really poor return, not only is there salary retained but the pick is top 10 protected, and they didn't even get a good prospect

• Haha
Reactions: HighLifeMan

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I love this deal for LAK. I know a few Kings fans were hoping Blake would have gotten sent packing this off season but not many GMS are dynamic enough to pull this deal off. Big picture is that LAK sheds them of a problem who was 11 days away from a NMC kicking in, they save a shit load of money and they get a goalie that can play 30 to 40 games a year, His price tag maybe a bit much but he is still servicable
Wrong thread LOL

Bond

May 10, 2012
I'm not saying they won't be a playoff team, just that they can't be assumed to be one, either. The odds of this pick being top-16 are probably 50% or so.
There are different things floating out on the conditions. Puckpedia has it as a top ten protected pick and capfriendly has it as a lottery pick.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
way to show your ignorance.

Meier was playing a lot of the year with two MCL injurers and a bum shoulder

now don't show your face in the thread again.

I birthed this thread you rube, how dare you. Apologies for pushing back on the notion that the team that has had one good year in recent memory has a chance of not being good next year, I’ll let you circle jerk amongst yourselves. Let’s see what the models and betting market has to say next season, I’m guessing something like ~65% for the Devils to even make the playoffs, meanwhile you can keep acting like their huge jump in the standings is a foregone conclusion.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad