Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
just FYI Bahl barely ever uses his size. He skates decently for a guy that size, but he might as well be 5'10'' with how soft he plays

Does he use his size more, less or similar to Hamilton? It sounds like's he's on par with Hamilton in that regards.

Bahl's also giving me some Prout calibre player type vibes which is promising if he still has some potential.

EDIT: I remember where I originally saw Bahl's name now. He was included in that Arizona for Hall package a few years ago where Treliving got Fitz to hesitate for a moment when he offered Hanifin for Hall. At the time I think NJD had really wanted him as part of that package.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Does he use his size more, less or similar to Hamilton? It sounds like's he's on par with Hamilton in that regards.

I would say probably a bit more, but honestly not much. He is classified as a big physical shutdown DMan and in reality, he is only really big.

But he has next to no offensive capabilities whereas Hamilton is an elite offensive DMan.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Overall, both sides have to be pretty satisfied with this deal.
I was hoping for a bit more, but 20251st will do. Hopefully Bahl can prove some wrong.

This thread just shows how few people know how good Markstrom can be. A few NJ fans should be embarrassed with how they posted about him in so many threads.
Kudos to @Forge , you were always a reasonable poster - hope he does well for you (but not too well ;))

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Overall, both sides have to be pretty satisfied with this deal.
I was hoping for a bit more, but 20251st will do. Hopefully Bahl can prove some wrong.

This thread just shows how few people know how good Markstrom can be. A few NJ fans should be embarrassed with how they posted about him in so many threads.
Kudos to @Forge , you were always a reasonable poster - hope he does well for you (but not too well ;))

I think it's just the hockey gods making sure that the circle is completed.

NJD fans will open their eyes to Markstrom in the same way Flames fans opened their eyes to Sharangovich.

And yes, I too agree that @Forge has been a very reasonable poster.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Good trade for the Devils. Very good team that needed a goalie

Without trying to piss of flames fans--for me this is a flag of rebuild by Calgary and I am curious how Kadri and Huberdeau feel this afternoon? Although most would agree the Tanev trade was the start of the rebuild.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah I mean if you expect them to have most of their top 6 hurt, lose their 1D and most of their defensive core the whole year to injuries, not get a single save in net + inept coaching to continue then sure they're not gonna be a playoff team. Who on the Metro on paper is better than NJ? Carolina/Rangers, sure. Then it's a dog fight from 3-6 again and NJ just solidified their biggest issue from last year
I'm not saying they won't be a playoff team, just that they can't be assumed to be one, either. The odds of this pick being top-16 are probably 50% or so.

• Haha
Reactions: Inno

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007

Without trying to piss of flames fans--for me this is a flag of rebuild by Calgary and I am curious how Kadri and Huberdeau feel this afternoon? Although most would agree the Tanev trade was the start of the rebuild.
You want Huberdeau? You can have him for free!

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Teams just can't win here, all Devils fans heard was how goaltending sunk them last year, after not only making the playoffs the year before but winning a round. They go out and get a goalie and NOPE now they're still a rebuilding team and shouldn't be making deals like this.

I think most fans feel last year was a perfect storm of injuries, bad goaltending and bad coaching and not that the rebuild is still ongoing.

The goalie turns 35 next Season and is coming off back to back mediocre seasons.

Fitzgerald is a disgrace, well done Calgary.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think the return matters so much as the message it sends to the fanbase. It should've happened last year but this is the correct move for the Flames. Mediocre is death.

Reactions: Forge

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
They won 52 games with Lindy Ruff and Vitek Vanecek, they'll be fine.

Unless you think their best center, best winger, and best defenseman are all going to be injured again?

Who is your best winger in your mind, Meier? You are using the excuse of him missing a whole 13 games last year as a reason for poor performance? Bratt played 82. Hughes still played 60+ games, expecting 82 out of him goes against his entire NHL history. You had one actually serious injury in Dougie. If that’s all it takes to derail the season then maybe you’re not “almost certainly” going to be picking in the 20s

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I think this is certainly an insane strip down of the roster and I think the sell off will continue. But I am not completely certain this isn’t a retool yet. It’s depending on whether we draft or trade that draft capital. I’d be happy for control to do quantity for quality RFA and ELC deals.

But even if it’s splitting hairs, trading for young guys is a pseudo rebuild. Fingers crossed we pull off a Dallas or Boston style rebuild as Conroy mentioned. I think it’s doable. I’m just low on optimism right now and I have no clue who on the roster is a lock to be around in 3 years.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think this is certainly an insane strip down of the roster and I think the sell off will continue. But I am not completely certain this isn’t a retool yet. It’s depending on whether we draft or trade that draft capital. I’d be happy for control to do quantity for quality RFA and ELC deals.

But even if it’s splitting hairs, trading for young guys is a pseudo rebuild. Fingers crossed we pull off a Dallas or Boston style rebuild as Conroy mentioned. I think it’s doable. I’m just low on optimism right now and I have no clue who on the roster is a lock to be around in 3 years.

I think Kadri and Hubby are looking for a way out.

Oh great Lucic for Neal part deux LOL
flames give us the 3rd this time

• Haha
Reactions: GeeoffBrown

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Who is your best winger in your mind, Meier? You are using the excuse of him missing a whole 13 games last year as a reason for poor performance? Bratt played 82. Hughes still played 60+ games, expecting 82 out of him goes against his entire NHL history. You had one actually serious injury in Dougie. If that’s all it takes to derail the season then maybe you’re not “almost certainly” going to be picking in the 20s
Uhh, how about the position they just traded for?

It wasn't one thing, it was everything. If the Devils get Markstrom's .905% goaltending instead of the .882% they got, who knows.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Exactly what those in the know predicted, but this site has a group of folks who always think they know better, ignoring reality. It’s crazy too cause they’re constantly proven wrong on almost every deal, but keep pulling out their video game to decide what a player’s trade value is.

There was nowhere on earth that Calgary wasn’t getting a 1st and a prospect… and even better than a common prospect if there was retention.

Exactly what happened.

There’s just way too many teams who need to upgrade in net, and Markstrom was too good of a fit with several..

Reactions: gach

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Kadri and Hubby are looking for a way out.

flames give us the 3rd this time

Huberdeau I think he knows he's not going to find a way out.

Kadri, maybe there's optimism that he could elevate his game to find a way out.

Coleman and Weegar saying they're OK mentoring the kids through a rebuild/retool. But there's still some other vets with value that will be considered and the Flames sell off will continue to this years TDL.

Picks for Hamilton or Hamilton + Ferland + Fox (refuse to sign) type moves are ones the Flames have done before. These moves could rocket us into a consistent dark horse 2020s Dallas type contender within a season or two. Adding a young 2C and 2D with still some potential and a career year with a goalie platooning with Wolf could work with the type of vet depth we still have and the prospects we have coming up.

Kadri, Backlund, Weegar, Andersson and Wolf isn't too far off to the backbone we had in sophomore Monahan + pre-surgery Backlund or 1C Stajan, Gio, Brodie and Hiller/Ramo for that 2014-2015 run where we were supposed to be a favourite to draft top 3.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Markstrom finished in the top 10 in the NHL in goals saved above expected in 2023-24.

the pick is 12+ months away.

9th right in front of the great David Rittich, GAA above expected was low end middle of the pack.

His stats the year prior were downright awful, and he's turning 35 halfway through next season.

The pick being next year is a good thing, Good luck with this one, Devils.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Coleman and Weegar saying they're OK mentoring the kids through a rebuild/retool. But there's still some other vets with value that will be considered and the Flames sell off will continue to this years TDL.
Sens should be all over Weegar.

Reactions: SENStastic

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Bahl's also giving me some Prout calibre player type vibes which is promising if he still has some potential.

EDIT: I remember where I originally saw Bahl's name now. He was included in that Arizona for Hall package a few years ago where Treliving got Fitz to hesitate for a moment when he offered Hanifin for Hall. At the time I think NJD had really wanted him as part of that package.

Kevin Bahl is Larry Robinson or Jacob Trouba compared to Dougie Hamilton. Not sure what the Flames had in terms of a defense corps but whatever it would it could not be worse than what the Devils will be putting on the ice this season with Hamilton and Luke Hughes on the ice two-thirds of the time.

If nothing else, Markstrom will have plenty of opportunities to make highlight reel saves. The Rock will be odd-man rush central.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad