Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
A 2nd and a crap prospect is effectively what Markstrom was traded for. There isn't much of a difference in value between a 2024 2nd and a 2025 1st, especially with how good the Devils look they'll be next year.
Is this tongue in cheek, or are you just never able to admit that your wrong? This is an absolutely ridiculous defence of you having a wrong take. Just admit it and move on, you'll be okay.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Getting a 1st, even top 10 protected one, AND with 31% retention AND a prospect this still has to be a win for Calgary, no?
It’s more than I thought they’d get. The retention doesn’t hurt them at all given how much room they have.

Reactions: TFHockey

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
He was second on the Devils in hits. Feel like Devil fans are downplaying his physicality.
he sucks physically. It showed up in the playoffs last year but was a ghost this yr. Hopefully he returns to playoff bahl but dont bet on it

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I know almost all Devils fans see it that way. I just don't. I'd trade any 3 assets in our organization for Nemec. I value him higher than you guys do. Bahl is a 6 now that I believe can be a #5. I see that as Casey's ceiling. Bahl already is what I think Casey's ceiling is. Granted, different type of player, but one who fits an organization with Brzustewicz, Poirier and Morin better.

I know I'll be in the minority on this one. That's ok, I was in the minority on the Toffoli/Sharangovich trade too. Only Forge and Whiskey are good at analyzing hockey on the Devils forums. The rest are more generic fans.
This isn't correct at all while Whiskey and Forge are great there are a lot of other Devil fans here capable of analyzing hockey. You're focusing on the few that are posting the most instead of the ones that know what they're talking about.

Reactions: HBK27

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Markstrom was a .913 goalie up until the last two months of the season. If he can put up that production for the Devils, then it would be a great deal for them.

1718817647536.png

Reactions: QuizGuy66 and HBK27

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think they just addressed their biggest need and opened up a hole on D for a defensive guy in free agency. If they fill that hole I see no reason why they aren't a lock for a playoff spot next year.

Markstrom has a worse SV% than Korpisalo over the last two seasons. He's 35th out of 48 goalies who have played > 3000 minutes. The Devils best player routinely gets hurt. They have a recent history of missing the playoffs all the time! This is not a playoff lock.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Flames have loads of cap space, why not retain 50% to maximize the return?

Flexibility maybe? Flames management based on ownership instruction is still intending on figuring out how to be a legit contender in this retool type rebuild on the fly.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This isn't correct at all while Whiskey and Forge are great there are a lot of other Devil fans here capable of analyzing hockey. You're focusing on the few that are posting the most instead of the ones that know what they're talking about.
There's probably others, that's fair. Those 2 are the 2 who come to mind who I've had exchanges with that were well reasoned.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Markstrom has a worse SV% than Korpisalo over the last two seasons. He's 35th out of 48 goalies who have played > 3000 minutes. The Devils best player routinely gets hurt. This is not a playoff lock.
Save percentage is not how you evaluate goalies in the modern era. Markstrom had a putrid 22-23. He was top 10 in advanced goaltending metrics in 21-22 and 23-24. He's also the right style of goalie for NJ. Things go wrong all the time. See the 22-23 Flames. There's some potential for that with every team. NJ just has a lot of young guys getting better in key spots. Goaltending was pretty clearly a sore spot along with team defense. I think it's reasonable to say they are a top 6 team on paper today.

Ahh, yes. Here’s the “proof.” That poster apparently represents the entire Devils fanbase with their Gaudreau fandom and him carrying Tkachuk argument. Really forgot their view represents an entire fanbase. Great “proof!”
So you're familiar with the thread and are pretending it you were unaware of it? Why not just be honest?

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
Markstrom was a .913 goalie up until the last two months of the season. If he can put up that production for the Devils, then it would be a great deal for them.

View attachment 884420

I think he takes off ice distraction pretty hard. Prior to this season, it was pregnancy and new baby. The fact he fell off around the TDL and after I think it might have been the trade stuff.

I think he did comment in an interview he did not like how that TDL went down. I think he made himself mentally ready to go until things somehow fell apart. It didn't help that the blue line talent in front of him was downgraded to less than half from the start of the season.

Reactions: Devilsfan992

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

View attachment 884420

Even before the last 2 months, Markstrom was much better than his stats show. The team in front of him was wildly inconsistent, and Markstrom was the only reason the Flames were not blown out most nights.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
That's a heck of a return for a goalie whose best days are likely in his rear view mirror. CGY doing well shedding aging vets and stocking the cookie jar. Lots to be excited about in CGY.

Thanks for the optimism, but we still have no clue about the direction of the team. Our "rebuild" seems to be hinted at an idea of a retool on the fly with borderline prospects and picking up later first and second rounders. Plus I suspect Conroy has decided to experiment with a prospect development method in hopes to start accelerating them to the roster in 1-3 seasons and then trading the excess RFA caught in a logjam to restart the cycle for the prospect pipeline.

Depending on what our "depth" looks like by the start of the pre-season, many of us are still unconvinced we aren't just going to go down the "rebuild" path we took in 2015 (ie: trading picks for Hamilton, who coincidentally is on the NJD roster).

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I think he takes off ice distraction pretty hard. Prior to this season, it was pregnancy and new baby. The fact he fell off around the TDL and after I think it might have been the trade stuff.

I think he did comment in an interview he did not like how that TDL went down. I think he made himself mentally ready to go until things somehow fell apart.

As far as I remember, he was ready to be traded. Even was throwing signed pucks to his fans during warmups. It must have been frustrating for him.

He's in the best case position now. A team with a roster that can be potential Stanley Cup contenders, given they stay healthy and their young guys improve (Mercer, L Hughes, Nemec, Holtz). He has Jake Allen to help with the workload if needed.

The Devils will need to add a bit more veteran presence on the defense to replace Smith and Bahl, but they will also get Hamilton back which is a major plus.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
As far as I remember, he was ready to be traded. Even was throwing signed pucks to his fans during warmups. It must have been frustrating for him.

He's in the best case position now. A team with a roster that can be potential Stanley Cup contenders, given they stay healthy and their young guys improve (Mercer, L Hughes, Nemec, Holtz). He has Jake Allen to help with the workload if needed.

I'd also interpret that drop in stats as the fact the blue line talent in front of him was sliced down to less than half (Hanifin and Tanev). This isn't even dealing with the off ice frustration stuff.

I hope Marky does great for you guys.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Who's next Kadri, Andersson, Weegar, Kuzmenko,Mangiapane, Coleman, Coronato?
Mangiapane will be traded at some point before the TDL. I think Kadri and Weegar won't be. Neither will Coronato. Andersson maybe, likely depends on his long term outlook. I think we will trade Kuzmenko if he has a good season and has value at the TDL. I'm honestly not sure on Coleman. If I was Buffalo, Ottawa or Columbus he'd be a target for me. Any team that needs that 2 way shutdown guy. I just don't know if the Flames move him. He really likes the city, but he also really likes winning.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Bahl as a 5? No

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
Devils are picking 10th this year, have been over a .500 PT% once in the Hughes era but yeah sure “almost certainly” in the 20s. I admire the optimism.
They have never had a goalie. Basically a void in goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad