Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I love how you keep making this baseless statement lol
Well, I'm going by statements from you guys from last season where you had Hughes higher than Nemec. So no, it's not baseless. It's based on statements from your fanbase.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Pretty fair value all things considered. Bahl isn't nothing but NJ has no need for bottom pairing guys, and that 1st will almost certainly be in the 20s next year.

Devils are picking 10th this year, have been over a .500 PT% once in the Hughes era but yeah sure “almost certainly” in the 20s. I admire the optimism.

Reactions: and 99 others

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Good grab for NJ. They have to make it back to the playoffs next season and their main issue was in net. They give up what should end up being a latish 1st and a meh bottom pairing defensman.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Well, I'm going by statements from you guys from last season where you had Hughes higher than Nemec. So no, it's not baseless. It's based on statements from your fanbase.
You are basing it on information from before Nemac played and Luke was having an amazing time breaking into the NHL?

You guys said it was cold, you are so wrong. I'm basing that on what you said back in December.

Reactions: PBandJ and HBK27

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Devils are picking 10th this year, have been over a .500 PT% once in the Hughes era but yeah sure “almost certainly” in the 20s. I admire the optimism.
I think they just addressed their biggest need and opened up a hole on D for a defensive guy in free agency. If they fill that hole I see no reason why they aren't a lock for a playoff spot next year.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Getting a 1st, even top 10 protected one, AND with 31% retention AND a prospect this still has to be a win for Calgary, no?
100%. The only people who are mad bought into the hype that Markstrom would inexplicably return a top ten pick.

Reactions: TFHockey

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
The guy you're posting with thinks nothing prospects and a 2nd has the same value as a 1st and NHL defenseman. Not much point in going round and round with someone like that.
Well tbf the devil's 2nd this year is very likely not far off from their 1st next year if they win a round or two in the playoffs or finish tops in their division and Bahl is not a high-end prospect.

You acted the same way in the Lindholm trade acting like you knew more than nuck fans about their own prospects.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Full on rebuild. Bottom 10 team that traded away a top 6 C, top 4 D, and a starting goalie.

Andersson and Kadri probably next.
We traded 3 top 4 D, not just one. I don't think Kadri is going anywhere. I think there's a chance Andersson will be, but not guaranteed.

why do people keep responding to that poster? they're schtick is obvious.
You're right. I'll stop.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Getting a 1st, even top 10 protected one, AND with 31% retention AND a prospect this still has to be a win for Calgary, no?

Anyone complaining is like someone complaining of a bellyache after wolfing down an ice cream sundae. No Flames fans would have believed he had that type of value at the beginning of this season. Good on Marky for bringing it back up.

I think it's a bad deal for Devils, not entirely sold on 34 y. o. Markstrom and if he doesn't perform well, this pick could end up in teens again.

Yeah. If that pick turns out in the teens, it's great. If somehow the injury bug devastates the Devils next season, Flames fans would be doing back flips and calling Conroy a genius for giving us an opportunity for a more amazing than expected pick late 20s '25 pick.

The projection of the '25 first is what's causing the crazy sway in value interpretation. IMO this is a good deal and I'm impressed that it is well framed as a good deal for the Devils too. Both team gets what they want and both teams banking on optimism going in their favor.

It also feels a little bit like how the Flames got first rounders that almost hedged against each other (Vancouver and Vegas).

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Flames have loads of cap space, why not retain 50% to maximize the return?

I mean, if you're Calgary's GM, why are you offering Markstrom at anything less than 50% retention?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad