Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I guess there's still time for us to grab someone else in a tandem.

I also wonder if there's some minor deal that will also happen between NJD and Flames. Like an extra goalie for some of our excess LD prospects.

It wasn't long ago that Flames fans were wanting to dump Markstrom off for a bag of pucks. Marky rebounded a bit since, though inconsistent

A few seasons ago, one of our posters said to sell Marky for a first before his value crashed. It did crash, but then it rebounded.

I think Keefe isn't a bad coach for what that roster is, so I think Marky will stay closer to that first round value to the end of the contract vs value crash again.

Gonna miss Marky. I wish him and the Devils the best.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I think he’s a fine stopgap for jersey while they figure out a long term solution. The retention helps a ton for them too

One thing jersey has to be weary of is his inconsistent play (sans 2021-22 until the second round). He’s had some great times in Calgary and some very awful ones. Hopefully jersey does have someone in the pipeline to fill in for him when he has those dips.

It seems like the plan is for one of at least one of Daws or Schmid to continue to develop and take over as the top guy within the next two years. We’ll see, but yeah, a pair of Markstrom and Jake Allen is clearly not a long term solution.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
LMAO. All that hemming and hawing. For this.

Should've just targeted Saros.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Devils have 2 years to find another goalie when Markstrom really falls off

Malek, Poulter, Daws and Schmid are all 22-24 year old goalie prospects in NJ's system. Just need one of them to hit.

No I didn't. I said Markstrom would bring back a 1st and prospect. I said I guarantee it. My guess was a 2025 1st and either Holtz or Casey. Bahl is better than Casey and not as good as Holtz. Do you often lie when you're clearly wrong instead of owning it? That's a pretty big character flaw.

Casey is most certainly a more valuable asset than Bahl and it's not even close.

Reactions: Canovin

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Who thought that? I said 1st and prospect. Nemec is vastly untouchable. I do think Holtz is a better add than Bahl would have been. I am not very high on Casey and prefer Bahl.
Nemec is mentioned in this thread granted it was more of a hopeful thing rather than a realistic return. I'm glad you prefer the 3rd best asset when comparing Holtz, Casey and Bahl though. He's by far the worst one.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
about damn time. turns our it wasnt nearly as expensive as nj fans made it out to be.

devils just need some grit now and are good to go

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's not acrobatics. It's what I value in a player. I don't value Tyson Barrie, I do value Zadorov. I know Bahl isn't Zadorov, but Casey isn't Barrie either. I think higher of Nemec than most Devils fans. Likely the same on Bahl and lower on Casey. I'm also right way more often than most Devils fans.

JFC - the mental acrobatics here...

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
lol flames.
Better than nothing but man. :laugh:

If you read up on what some Flames fans thought he was worth last off season... anyone not doing jumping jacks is being greedy.

Heck, even in December, look at what some of our posters thought about his value. The fact he's even in the first rounder range after the rumors around this TDL was a complete surprise.

Yes, many of us got carried away, but I think many at the start of this year would have taken a 2nd for Marky at 50%. This return should be considered excellent.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
It's not acrobatics. It's what I value in a player. I don't value Tyson Barrie, I do value Zadorov. I know Bahl isn't Zadorov, but Casey isn't Barrie either. I think higher of Nemec than most Devils fans. Likely the same on Bahl and lower on Casey. I'm also right way more often than most Devils fans.

Once again, the resident non-fan Devils expert Double Dion!

What the hell are you even talking about? I don’t think Devils fans can be any higher on Nemec, he was arguably better than Luke last year.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Pretty fair value all things considered. Bahl isn't nothing but NJ has no need for bottom pairing guys, and that 1st will almost certainly be in the 20s next year.

The salary retention is pretty big. NJ has about 16M in cap space and the only notable player they need to re-sign is Mercer. Plenty of cap left over to add another left defenseman and middle-6 forward. And they get to keep their top-10 pick.

This also means that the conditional '25 pick they gave up for Jake Allen will almost certainly be a 3rd and not a 2nd. NJ also has a spare 2nd in '25 from Winnipeg via the Toffoli deal.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Malek, Poulter, Daws and Schmid are all 22-24 year old goalie prospects in NJ's system. Just need one of them to hit.

Casey is most certainly a more valuable asset than Bahl and it's not even close.
I know almost all Devils fans see it that way. I just don't. I'd trade any 3 assets in our organization for Nemec. I value him higher than you guys do. Bahl is a 6 now that I believe can be a #5. I see that as Casey's ceiling. Bahl already is what I think Casey's ceiling is. Granted, different type of player, but one who fits an organization with Brzustewicz, Poirier and Morin better.

I know I'll be in the minority on this one. That's ok, I was in the minority on the Toffoli/Sharangovich trade too. Only Forge and Whiskey are good at analyzing hockey on the Devils forums. The rest are more generic fans.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Once again, the resident non-fan Devils expert Double Dion!

What the hell are you even talking about? I don’t think Devils fans can be any higher on Nemec, he was arguably better than Luke last year.
Not arguably. He was better than Luke and will be moving forward. Being a fan doesn't mean someone has a good hockey mind. I think Luke will be a top pairing defenseman, but he won't a top 10 defender while putting up points.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Yost is credible, but I believe Markstrom has been traded to NJ before...haha. My prediction is 50% retained for either Casey or Holtz and 1st round pick.
If this was the expectation, I'm guessing you are disappointed. Yes, I saw your other post. Prospect and a first. Which is correct. But going from expecting Casey or Holtz to Bahl is quite the quality drop.

This is such a meh trade. Yes, it helps NJ right now. But only for the next couple of seasons. They should have gone after a guy that wasn't in his 30s. It would fit their timeline better.

There's also the chance that Markstrom goes back to being an average goaltender, like he has been for a large portion of his career.

I think this trade is objectively pretty bad for both teams.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Or you could frame it like this:

In two of the last 3 seasons, Markstrom has bee in the top 6 among starters in the NHL in GSAx, which is 'the' advanced goalie stat...#3 this past season and #6 two years ago.

Funny how you can manipulate stats to show what you want to see.

No doubt he was awful in 22-23 but anybody who doesn't think a motivated Markstrom is going to be a monumental difference maker for the Devils hasn't been following their goalie situation close enough. He doesn't have to be Andrei Vasilevskiy behind this Devils team for it to really matter. (who incidentally was bad this year "statistically" because goalie variance is simply a thing)

DeMmZb3.png

igcz58x.png

If you're happy with a .900 to .905 goalie, good on ya. I'm happy to be rid of him.

He had one complete season with us. One horrible season and two seasons where he was great for half and terrible for half.

I have zero faith he'll be able to keep it together for a full season. Not even sure I'd say 25%, seemed to get injured more and more as well

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I know almost all Devils fans see it that way. I just don't. I'd trade any 3 assets in our organization for Nemec. I value him higher than you guys do. Bahl is a 6 now that I believe can be a #5. I see that as Casey's ceiling. Bahl already is what I think Casey's ceiling is. Granted, different type of player, but one who fits an organization with Brzustewicz, Poirier and Morin better.

I know I'll be in the minority on this one. That's ok, I was in the minority on the Toffoli/Sharangovich trade too. Only Forge and Whiskey are good at analyzing hockey on the Devils forums. The rest are more generic fans.

I love how you keep making this baseless statement lol

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Nice job for the Devils. Now they just need defense and figure out how to wrap Hughes in bubble wrap when he plays.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hopefully sounds like ownership is okay with rebuilding.

I wonder if this puts others on the market who wouldn't be?

As for the deal, good that this drama is finally over. Seems like NJ finally gets a real #1 after a long drought and Calgary gets a first rounder and a big, ,young defensive defenseman as they start to turn over the middle of their roster.

Reactions: King In The North

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If this was the expectation, I'm guessing you are disappointed. Yes, I saw your other post. Prospect and a first. Which is correct. But going from expecting Casey or Holtz to Bahl is quite the quality drop.

This is such a meh trade. Yes, it helps NJ right now. But only for the next couple of seasons. They should have gone after a guy that wasn't in his 30s. It would fit their timeline better.

There's also the chance that Markstrom goes back to being an average goaltender, like he has been for a large portion of his career.

I think this trade is objectively pretty bad for both teams.
I don't expect him to be Holtz. I expect Bahl to top out as a #5 defenseman. I think Holtz tops out as a Toffoli type. That's clearly better.

I disagree with you on this not being a good trade for the Devils. Markstrom will fit there like a glove. He's a good leader and well liked in the room. He's also a top end goalie on high danger chances. It'll be a nice fit with the Devils getting their young D some experience. I think you guys will like this trade moving forward.

We moved out a guy who doesn't want to be here. The return was fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad