Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Do you always cut off the ending of posts? Or do you just do that when you're wrong and want to lie and pretend you weren't

JurassicTunga

Mar 21, 2010
It wasn't long ago that Flames fans were wanting to dump Markstrom off for a bag of pucks. Marky rebounded a bit since, though inconsistent

Reactions: Figgy44

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No I didn't. I said Markstrom would bring back a 1st and prospect. I said I guarantee it. My guess was a 2025 1st and either Holtz or Casey. Bahl is better than Casey and not as good as Holtz. Do you often lie when you're clearly wrong instead of owning it? That's a pretty big character flaw.

There isn't a single Devils fan who would say Bahl is a better asset than Casey.

You can try and spin it all you want, but this is clearly a lesser return than what you were saying Markstrom would bring back.

Bond

May 10, 2012
There isn't a single Devils fan who would say Bahl is a better asset than Casey.

You can try and spin it all you want, but this is clearly a lesser return than what you were saying Markstrom would bring back.
I don't have a horse in this argument but your 25 1st is the same as 24 2nd is worse

Reactions: TBF1972

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Thank god for advanced stats.

Team gives up a 1st and a young 6'6 defender that just played 82 games for a 34 year old goalie with one year over .905 in the last 4 year and think they won. Have fun with that rollercoaster.

I thought we were going to have to buy him out last year
Soon to be 35 year old goalie with sub 900 sv% over the past 2 seasons
Or you could frame it like this:

In two of the last 3 seasons, Markstrom has bee in the top 6 among starters in the NHL in GSAx, which is 'the' advanced goalie stat...#3 this past season and #6 two years ago.

Funny how you can manipulate stats to show what you want to see.

No doubt he was awful in 22-23 but anybody who doesn't think a motivated Markstrom is going to be a monumental difference maker for the Devils hasn't been following their goalie situation close enough. He doesn't have to be Andrei Vasilevskiy behind this Devils team for it to really matter. (who incidentally was bad this year "statistically" because goalie variance is simply a thing)

DeMmZb3.png

igcz58x.png

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm fine with this, we needed to do something in goal and at least if Markstrom or the team suck we don't lose out on a top 10 pick.

Bahl never played as big as he is so losing him is whatever.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Again, you can go and look at my posts before this trade in the TDL Markstrom thread. Multiple Devils fans can corroborate. I've been very high on Nemec. Very low on Casey. There are 2 Devils fans I think are smart hockey people. I disagreed with them on this.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Good trade, win/win for both sides. I was very scared going into the offseason as a fan of a team desperate for goaltending cause the options are so limited. Paying up that to get a starter at 4m x 2 is well worth paying. The only question is can Markstrom be an NHL caliber starter for the next 2 years, but that's the risk with literally every goalie on the planet.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
There was incessant talk about the 10oa and guys like Mercer, Holtz and Casey. I wouldn’t have wanted to give up any first if it were up to me, but a top 10 protected ‘25 is still pushing closer to second round value than first.

Edit: and now news of retention.

Ya nvm

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
"My guess is Holtz or Casey, but I guaranteed a 1st and prospect." Oof. The world is full of people with no integrity. Our culture is in some serious trouble.
awwww someone is made someone is calling them out for something you tried to call out? there is a word for this.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

The only way anyone could claim Bahl is a better asset than Casey is just because Bahl has played NHL games before. Casey’s ceiling is way, way higher than Bahl. Bahl may have a solid career, but it’s as a bottom pair guy.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Idk, seems like a solid deal for both? Goalies don't have the value that some homers think they have, but i think it's still a solid return for the Flames.

And obviously solid for Devils too with the retention.
I think he’s a fine stopgap for jersey while they figure out a long term solution. The retention helps a ton for them too

One thing jersey has to be weary of is his inconsistent play (sans 2021-22 until the second round). He’s had some great times in Calgary and some very awful ones. Hopefully jersey does have someone in the pipeline to fill in for him when he has those dips.

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
That's a great return for Calgary. Goalies, even as good as Markstrom, don't often return a 1st rounder and a solid bottom-pair player. New Jersey needed to do this, however, with how disappointing last season was specifically because their defense and goaltending failed so badly.
As a fellow Harvard alum (Winthrop '92), I disagree. Devs are win now mode, next year's pick really doesn't fit the timeline (esp where it is likely to fall). And Fitz is only paying Markstrom $700k more that he would have had to pay Vanacek, so it's a salary cap wash.

And I've seen nearly every home game Bahl has played live. He won't be missed.

Reactions: PWiz30

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The acrobatics are pretty funny from him. Casey and Bahl aren’t even in the same stratosphere.
It's not acrobatics. It's what I value in a player. I don't value Tyson Barrie, I do value Zadorov. I know Bahl isn't Zadorov, but Casey isn't Barrie either. I think higher of Nemec than most Devils fans. Likely the same on Bahl and lower on Casey. I'm also right way more often than most Devils fans.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No I didn't. I said Markstrom would bring back a 1st and prospect. I said I guarantee it. My guess was a 2025 1st and either Holtz or Casey. Bahl is better than Casey and not as good as Holtz. Do you often lie when you're clearly wrong instead of owning it? That's a pretty big character flaw.

Yost is credible, but I believe Markstrom has been traded to NJ before...haha. My prediction is 50% retained for either Casey or Holtz and 1st round pick.

This is literally your copy-pasted first post in this thread. Nothing has been edited here, it's your exact post.

Your first post was literally Casey or Holtz and a 1st, then you backtracked into saying "I think it will be Casey or Holtz, but it will be a prospect". And now you're taking a victory lap because Kevin Bahl is somehow a notable prospect in your eyes.

Reactions: PBandJ

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
He's a big bodied defenseman who (according to Devils fans) doesn't use his size whatsoever.

I'm relying on what Devils fans have said about Bahl to say he's a marginal piece.
Meh. He was second on the team in hits last year. I am sure they have more people they should be worried about not throwing weight around.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Given his inconsistent play, I said there was no way Markstrom would return a 1st and Flames fans who thought he would were nuts.

Guess I’m eating my words.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad