Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Me of April wondered if a 2025 lottery protected 1st could work. Reply was in the context of whether Holtz+ would get Markstrom.

Looking at Calgary's top 9 and they seem a little crowded for the moment since they have their own Holtz-esque prospect in Matt Coronato. I wonder if a lottery protected 2025 1st would be workable? Calgary has a bigger void on defense.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
One less spot for Ullmark to go I guess
Seems like a solid trade for both teams. Hopefully Markstrom can stay healthy. Gives the devils 2 years to see if one of their prospects develop.

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
What?

Yesterday if you said 25 first or Bahl, I'd be listening. If it's both, my eyes might pop out of my head right now.

I swear I was literally reading yesterday that Bahl has a bit of value. IDK why he's being stated as just a dude...
Devils STH for 30 years.

Bahl is most definitely just a dude.

Reactions: Fig

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Who thought that? I said 1st and prospect. Nemec is vastly untouchable. I do think Holtz is a better add than Bahl would have been. I am not very high on Casey and prefer Bahl.

Yost is credible, but I believe Markstrom has been traded to NJ before...haha. My prediction is 50% retained for either Casey or Holtz and 1st round pick.

• Haha
Reactions: PWiz30

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Seeing as he is just 24, does he maybe have a Chris Tanev type top 4 type upside?

I mean, Chris Tanev has been one of the better defensive defensemen in the league for a long time. That’s a pretty lofty benchmark. So no, probably not. He probably tops out as a reliable #5 with occasional monster shifts when he actually uses his size to his advantage.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Basically a number one goalie for a first.. can’t be mad at that if you’re NJ

Reactions: Forge

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I actually think this is the first real "tank" move the Flames have made in their history. They took an already poor roster and made it worse, and Vladar/Wolf doesn't exactly inspire a ton of confidence.
I don't see it as a tank move even though I'm in favor of tanking. I don't think Markstrom gave the Flames an ultimatum precisely, but I think they were well aware he didn't want to be here anymore. Do you keep a key vet in the room when he doesn't want to be there? Huberdeau is untradable, but everyone else who says that is someone I'm moving.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Why can't you just admit you were completely wrong? I mean you were in the other thread too. Mangiapane a defensive liability and perimeter player....pfft.
i wasnt wrong. the orginal comment was made with the thought there wasnt any retention (which was rumored to be a hang up at the deadline).

for someone who has no proof on mangiapane still to this point, you still bring him up a lot. move on.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Yup, he's yelling "See, I was right!!"
I'll give him that now that the retention came through lol. Although they were definitely right that the top ten was never in play but I always agreed with them on that.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Not bad Conroy.

Not too bad at all.

The rebuild is moving right along. Now don't panic and throw those picks away.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
If Kevin Bahl would do this more often, you Flames fans will love him. Unfortunately, he doesn't hit likr this very often.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
And you're the poster that said Markstrom would bring back Holtz and a 1st.
No I didn't. I said Markstrom would bring back a 1st and prospect. I said I guarantee it. My guess was a 2025 1st and either Holtz or Casey. Bahl is better than Casey and not as good as Holtz. Do you often lie when you're clearly wrong instead of owning it? That's a pretty big character flaw.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I don't see it as a tank move even though I'm in favor of tanking. I don't think Markstrom gave the Flames an ultimatum precisely, but I think they were well aware he didn't want to be here anymore. Do you keep a key vet in the room when he doesn't want to be there? Huberdeau is untradable, but everyone else who says that is someone I'm moving.
I do. Running with a tandem of Wolf and Vladar is basically guaranteeing a bottom 5 finish. Thye could have kept Markstrom and overpaid crappy UFAs to try and get into a bubble spot.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Devils have 2 years to find another goalie when Markstrom really falls off

I think that's the plan. They have 4 goalies who have all shown varying degrees of promise. Giving them another year or two to cook and hope one takes a step.

You also may have to evaluate your team in two years. I think one of the reasons they were so into markstrom was that it was only 2 year commitment

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
No I didn't. I said Markstrom would bring back a 1st and prospect. I said I guarantee it. My guess was a 2025 1st and either Holtz or Casey. Bahl is better than Casey and not as good as Holtz. Do you often lie when you're clearly wrong instead of owning it? That's a pretty big character flaw.
gets caught wrong again, wont admit it. lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad