Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I never understood the interest in Markstrom, going to turn 35 this year and based on his last two seasons has already started to decline.
If he declines from slightly above average starter to slightly below average starter over the course of the next two years, so be it. Will still be a massive improvement over where they were.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I never understood the interest in Markstrom, going to turn 35 this year and based on his last two seasons has already started to decline.
Teams that should be contenders but aren’t in part due to goaltending are desperate.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Bahl is a depth defenseman with extremely limited upside.

My comment was that Markstrom would return something like a 2nd (I was assuming a 2024 2nd) and a B level prospect. A 2025 1st and Bahl isn't different than that in value.
Bahl is a 23 year old, big bodied defenceman

He has played one full season, and you are saying he has no upside? Please share your expert scouting report.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Seems like a solid return for the Flames. Wasn’t expecting them to get a 1st. They’re loading up nicely on picks.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Where are all the Devils fans at that said Markstrom wasn’t worth this? The goaltending market is coming back to life.
Did the Devils give up 10OA, Holtz, Casey, Mercer or Nemec?? That's what some Flames fans thought they were getting. 2025 protected 1st and Bahl is a lot closer to what rational Devil fans were saying for Markstrom with retention.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Bahl is a 23 year old, big bodied defenceman

He has played one full season, and you are saying he has no upside? Please share your expert scouting report.
The guy you're posting with thinks nothing prospects and a 2nd has the same value as a 1st and NHL defenseman. Not much point in going round and round with someone like that.

Reactions: Haatley

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Cool for both sides, one goalie off the market for other teams in need.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Idk, seems like a solid deal for both? Goalies don't have the value that some homers think they have, but i think it's still a solid return for the Flames.

And obviously solid for Devils too with the retention.

It really is just a deal that makes sense for both. Doesn't really have to be more than that.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Devils fans... tell me about Bahl please.

Big guy that doesn't use his size enough, but is good on the PK. Unfortunately, he regressed a bit last season but should be a solid bottom pairing NHL defenseman. Devils were looking for an upgrade at his position for this upcoming season, so not terribly surprising he was included in the deal. Will likely sign a UFA LD that can play the PK and have Hatakka as the 7th defenseman. Good chance they also go LD at the #10 spot in the draft if someone like Dickinson is available.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Bahl is a depth defenseman with extremely limited upside.

My comment was that Markstrom would return something like a 2nd (I was assuming a 2024 2nd) and a B level prospect. A 2025 1st and Bahl isn't different than that in value.

Yah, because every draft has the same substance as every other draft, it's not like they differ from year to year.........

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That’s it? Maybe I’m underselling Bahl, but that seems less than expected.
It's a 1st and right now a potential bottom pair D should Bahl not get better. That's a pretty good trade for them. Markstrom is 34, signed 2 more years. They weren't going to get a killing on this trade.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He's a big bodied defenseman who (according to Devils fans) doesn't use his size whatsoever.

I'm relying on what Devils fans have said about Bahl to say he's a marginal piece.
Kills penalties, solid enough defensively.

Absolutely terrible discipline, can't stay out of the box.

Can't make a breakout pass to save his life

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Did the Devils give up 10OA, Holtz, Casey, Mercer or Nemec?? That's what some Flames fans thought they were getting. 2025 protected 1st and Bahl is a lot closer to what rational Devil fans were saying for Markstrom with retention.
Who thought that? I said 1st and prospect. Nemec is vastly untouchable. I do think Holtz is a better add than Bahl would have been. I am not very high on Casey and prefer Bahl.

• Haha
Reactions: PBandJ and HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad