Proposal: Nj - STL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Unless Shattenkirk returns Giroux or something....nothing they trade Shattenkirk will help them win the cup in 2017.

A center upgrade over Lehtera would. While Spooner is an inferior player to Shattenkirk, a lineup with Spooner would be more successful than one with Shattenkirk IMO. Some sort of a deal with Spooner+Colin Miller for Shattenkirk would improve us.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
A center upgrade over Lehtera would. While Spooner is an inferior player to Shattenkirk, a lineup with Spooner would be more successful than one with Shattenkirk IMO. Some sort of a deal with Spooner+Colin Miller for Shattenkirk would improve us.

A middling upgrade over Lehtera and a RHD would not be ideal. Lehtera is 1 season removed from 47pts in 75 games before suffering a broken hand and chipped ankle bone. Last season was a let down but let's not forget it was his 2nd season in the NHL. I'm all for upgrading him, but acquiring Spooner would be fairly disappointing

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A middling upgrade over Lehtera and a RHD would not be ideal. Lehtera is 1 season removed from 47pts in 75 games before suffering a broken hand and chipped ankle bone. Last season was a let down but let's not forget it was his 2nd season in the NHL. I'm all for upgrading him, but acquiring Spooner would be fairly disappointing

I'm not saying it's a great return, but relative to the roles that they would fill, I think we'd be a better team. Shattenkirk will be playing a sheltered offensive role, that's a role that we can find someone else for. Pietrangelo and Parayko are capable of playing on the top PP unit.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Easy? How much more are you expecting for a UFA who wants to play in the East?

• A first
  • a second
  • 2014 1st (30th) C, scoring a ppg
  • a bottom pair LHD

He's not an UFA. And he'd be happy to sign in STL if we can afford him. Now with Backes and Brouwer gone that's a possibility.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Does this trade help the Blues win the cup in 2017? If not, then it's a no-go. Your proposal is the type of offer a non-playoff team would trade Shattenkirk for.

that makes no sense.

what, exactly, would Shattenkirk realistically return that would help the Blues win the Cup in 2017?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I really don't see the allure in the Devils trading for Shattenkirk.

We're just going to give up assets that we shouldn't to trade to fill a spot that isn't even one of our top needs. We need to give the kids on the right side of the defense time to develop and see what we have. Shattenkirk isn't winning us the cup now or in the near future.

I'd rather look for a similar LD option if one is available. That is one of our biggest current needs.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yea, the Devils need a LHD more than a RHD

on the right side, they have Severson, Lovejoy, and Santini with Jacobs on the way. on the left side they have Andy Greene and a bunch of junk

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not saying it's a great return, but relative to the roles that they would fill, I think we'd be a better team. Shattenkirk will be playing a sheltered offensive role, that's a role that we can find someone else for. Pietrangelo and Parayko are capable of playing on the top PP unit.

I'd still like something with more upside. That seems like more "stay afloat" acquisitions. We've got Bortuzzo and Schmaltz on the right. I see no need to aquire anyone there.

yea, the Devils need a LHD more than a RHD

on the right side, they have Severson, Lovejoy, and Santini with Jacobs on the way. on the left side they have Andy Greene and a bunch of junk

I'm not trying to push Shattenkirk on you guys at all...but that doesn't look overly promising on the rightside either.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'd still like something with more upside. That seems like more "stay afloat" acquisitions. We've got Bortuzzo and Schmaltz on the right. I see no need to aquire anyone there.

I'm not trying to push Shattenkirk on you guys at all...but that doesn't look overly promising on the rightside either.

while I am not his biggest fan and need to see something from him this year, Severson has immense potential.

Santini is also the type of "shutdown" DMan built for today's NHL as he can skate and move the puck. I think he will be able to soften the blow of losing Larsson

Lovejoy is nothing special but he is at least a #4/5 NHL DMan

I am much more worried about our left side moving forward. Andy Greene is awesome but he does turn 34 soon.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I would too, and I'm not saying it has a bunch of upside, although I do see Spooner making improvement. My point is simply that we'd have a better structured roster for a Cup run with that roster than with Shattenkirk.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I would too, and I'm not saying it has a bunch of upside, although I do see Spooner making improvement. My point is simply that we'd have a better structured roster for a Cup run with that roster than with Shattenkirk.

Ah, that I wouldn't argue with.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Shattenkirk's a great player, but I just don't see any need for the Devils to trade the young assets it would take to land him.

Rather just hope that he goes to unrestricted free agency and hope to land him then. If not, oh well.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I still think he ends up in Boston. There might have been a glimmer of hope of the Blues getting Pastrnak back in a deal for an extended Shattenkirk if the Bruins had signed Vesey, but now I think it ends up being Spooner+.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I still think he ends up in Boston. There might have been a glimmer of hope of the Blues getting Pastrnak back in a deal for an extended Shattenkirk if the Bruins had signed Vesey, but now I think it ends up being Spooner+.
That would be thoroughly disappointing. Not that Spooner is a bad player but we have almost 0 need for him, he is only marginally better than Lehtera and doesn't really fit in our lineup.
I'll rob a bank if it means we end up getting Pastrnak.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That would be thoroughly disappointing. Not that Spooner is a bad player but we have almost 0 need for him, he is only marginally better than Lehtera and doesn't really fit in our lineup.
I'll rob a bank if it means we end up getting Pastrnak.

If Sobotka doesn't come over, then we definitely have a need for a Spooner type. Someone with speed up the middle.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
You do realize Sobota and Spooner, aside from being fast are almost nothing alikez right?
Sobotka can play in a shutdown role, Spooner can't.

That really wasn't the point of his post. When did he ever say he was comparing the two?

If Sobotka does not come over, then we have a hole in our center depth. That's a spot Spooner can fill. It doesn't really matter if the two are alike or not.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You do realize Sobota and Spooner, aside from being fast are almost nothing alikez right?
Sobotka can play in a shutdown role, Spooner can't.

The shutdown part of their game is one of the only style differences. Spooner has a big edge offensively, but their general style is pretty similar. Smaller, speedier centers that are good on the puck.

The point is, if Sobotka doesn't come, we need to add a center with speed. We have Stastny and Berglund who can handle the harder minutes as a center, Steen if needed. We've already said we are going to be changing our style in a major way, and it will be one that incorporates puck hounds and speed, and that's where Spooner comes in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad