Nintendo Switch #5

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I've been playing the OOT and Majoras Mask PC ports on and off. They still hold up today especially with the new features added to these versions like arbitrary framerate support. Would vastly prefer a new game like those two or Wind Waker instead of yet another modern open game.

Also, hard pass on the Souls mechanics. It feels like every other action game that comes out these days has the exact same slow, lumbering combat.
Majora's mask is still my favorite Zelda to date and it was a game ahead of it's time. It's shocking how good it turned out considering the short development time.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Majora's mask is still my favorite Zelda to date and it was a game ahead of it's time. It's shocking how good it turned out considering the short development time.
I'm not a fan of some of the gameplay decisions with Majora but my god that game's atmosphere/setting is peak. There's been nothing, and probably won't be anything like it again.

It's a damn shame Anouma hates what he created with it, with him going as far to say there was something wrong with himself during development.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
with him going as far to say there was something wrong with himself during development.
I mean, he clearly mighta been processing some things during development. So, that part might not be completely out of the question, even tho he's using that in a more negative context.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The development team did some heavy crunch time to complete the game in a little over a year. There was most likely something wrong with many of them.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I never played it because we didn't have the expansion pak plugin for our N64 back in the day.

I'm considering getting a Switch now mostly to play old SNES and N64 games.

LTTP was my favorite Zelda game that I've played (which is really limited to the NES, SNES, Gameboy, and OOT). Link's Awakening on Gameboy was pretty sweet too.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm looking at getting a switch (probably closer to my birthday in November), everything I've read on Reddit indicates that the OLED model is vastly superior to the regular and light and worth the cost difference. Does everyone here agree? I'd probably primarily use it handheld in bed or dock it on my desk.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I'm looking at getting a switch (probably closer to my birthday in November), everything I've read on Reddit indicates that the OLED model is vastly superior to the regular and light and worth the cost difference. Does everyone here agree? I'd probably primarily use it handheld in bed or dock it on my desk.
They're going to perform identically while docked. I know at Target and some other places they have some demo models so that might be the best way to compare, the screen is going to be the main difference. I think the OLED has additional storage also.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Did I see that there is a buy 2, get one 1 free Nintendo deal for Labour Day or something?

I see these from Best Buy, not seeing an expiration date on the deals anywhere but I just skimmed them

This one you have to be a MyBestBuy plus member

Reactions: S E P H

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This basically confirms Nintendo's pipeline is empty for switch 1 outside of the couple games still left to release.

i was holding out hope we'd finally get those other two Metroid Prime remasters, but alas.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not much going on in that Indie World.

Biggest win for me is that Pizza Tower is coming to the Switch.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My takeaways:

Nintendo really needs to replace their indie VAs. Gratey and Lispy are both annoying.

Haven't played Balatro yet. Need to give that a try.

Neva looks very pretty.

Morsels looks interesting, but needlessly gross, so likely a pass due to that.

The dating sim and a game that looks like a multiplayer mid-2000s Newgrounds platformer getting that much screen time was pretty telling about how slim pickings this is.

Already revealed previously, but Europa is my bag aesthetically.

Plucky Squire still looks good, but I'm trying to not watch any promotional stuff to go in as blind as possible.

Thank God, the partners VA sounds like an adult human being.

Screw every other Tetris, NES Tetris coming to NSO is all I care about.

Absolutely no way that a new Civ game plays or runs well on the Switch.

Not much there, really.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
My takeaways:

Nintendo really needs to replace their indie VAs. Gratey and Lispy are both annoying.

Haven't played Balatro yet. Need to give that a try.

Neva looks very pretty.

Morsels looks interesting, but needlessly gross, so likely a pass due to that.

The dating sim and a game that looks like a multiplayer mid-2000s Newgrounds platformer getting that much screen time was pretty telling about how slim pickings this is.

Already revealed previously, but Europa is my bag aesthetically.

Plucky Squire still looks good, but I'm trying to not watch any promotional stuff to go in as blind as possible.

Thank God, the partners VA sounds like an adult human being.

Screw every other Tetris, NES Tetris coming to NSO is all I care about.

Absolutely no way that a new Civ game plays or runs well on the Switch.

Not much there, really.
Prepare for a "wait, why did I play this until 3 AM?" type addiction. Bought it on Xbox a couple months back and it is a fantastic game. Turns out big numbers go up is a menace on ones dopamine receptors.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I wasn't expecting much from that direct given it felt like the August one was the last hurrah but that was rough.

Pizza Tower was a nice surprise, but the fact a cosmetic update for balatro and that cringe ass dating sim got screen time made it more dire than even what I expected.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

A remake of Trails in the Sky is coming out in 2025 only on Switch. For some reason this announcement didn't even get a full trailer in the English direct lol.

The new Rune Factory game looks like an improvement over RF5 and launching on PC day one is nice. The rest of the direct didn't do much for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad