Nintendo Switch #5

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The Metroid 4 trailer had to be one of the most anticlimactic ones I've seen for a AAA title
I'm just happy the game exists and is getting worked on.

Nintendo will likely crush it on the game, they usually do. Who cares if the trailer was less then ideal?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Looks way better than the initial reveal! A few thoughts as i am a massive Zelda dork;

- This appears to be the final manifestation of that 2D build of Breath of the Wild Anouma and company made to workshop/test the ideas that would eventually become the core gameplay loop of that game super early in development.

- In that same vein, this is essentially a confirmation that the style/formula created with BOTW, and furthered in TOTK is now the definitive version of Zelda and will be the blueprint going forward regardless of it being 2 or 3D. (as if that wasn't obvious when both game sold a billion copies) I imagine it will be similar to Mario now where the core gameplay stays the same, but they throw wild gimmicks/wrinkles on top of it to make it fresh. Whereas old Zelda was essentially the same thing with very little changes.

- In some ways it might actually push that even further given basic combat is now a "here, you figure it out" type thing using the world around you rather than just basic weapons. It has the potential to do some really cool shit with boss fights looking at these mechanics.

- Looks to be bigger than your average 2D Zelda game with the more open ended quest/sidequests from the new games. Sign me up.

- Loremasters will surely have fun trying to figure out where this fits in their janky ass timeline given it steals elements/locales from across the series. Eldin Volcano from Skyward Sword, the Faron Wetlands from BOTW, the OG Zoras existing and having beef with the modern Zora, Kakariko being at the foot of a volcano again, Deku Scrubs, etc.

The new version of Zelda is almost perfect, but my one complaint even after TOTK is they need to find a way to incorporate more traditional dungeons. TOTK was better than BOTW in that regard since the Fire and Lightning temples felt a lot more similar to that, but the wind and water temples kinda sucked.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Total long shot but after this ultra-kiddy looking Zelda game it would be sick if Nintendo makes a dark and grueling, souls-esque Zelda game in their next iteration. It doesn't need to be gory but up the combat intensity and make fighting a more consequential experience.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Oh no, i'm not listening to this "ZELDA IS TOO KIDDY" shit again. That type of rhetoric buried Wind Waker despite it being fantastic and led to trash like Twilight Princess.

Link's Awakening remake had the exact same art style/tone and i didn't hear a single peep because it was a good game that turned into a fantastic game with the remake.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Oh no, i'm not listening to this "ZELDA IS TOO KIDDY" shit again. That type of rhetoric buried Wind Waker despite it being fantastic and led to trash like Twilight Princess.

Link's Awakening remake had the exact same art style/tone and i didn't hear a single peep because it was a good game that turned into a fantastic game with the remake.
Wind Waker had such fantastic animation and it has one of the most interesting depictions of Ganondorf in the series. People that are focused on making Zelda a dark gritty series; don't understand the series at all in my opinion.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Wind Waker had such fantastic animation and it has one of the most interesting depictions of Ganondorf in the series. People that are focused on making Zelda a dark gritty series; don't understand the series at all in my opinion.

rolling_eyes_lucille_arrested_development.gif

BOTW/TOTK brought in a lot of new players. This new Zelda game looks like something my 10 year old cousin would enjoy. Not something for me personally.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

BOTW/TOTK brought in a lot of new players. This new Zelda game looks like something my 10 year old cousin would enjoy. Not something for me personally.
BOTW and TOTK brought in new players without looking like another Dark Souls ripoff. They won't change the style of the series to please some fans that have wet dreams about Zelda turning into the manga series Berserk.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
BOTW and TOTK brought in new players without looking like another Dark Souls ripoff. They won't change the style of the series to please some fans that have wet dreams about Zelda turning into the manga series Berserk.
A more mature combat system wouldn’t be the worst thing. I don’t know what Berserk is but I was thinking something more along the lines of Jedi: Fallen Order or a lighter version of Elden Ring.

At the very least a more difficult combat mode that isn’t just a cheap gimmick like Master Mode was. As it stands now unless I self impose some caps like Max 13 hearts and no upgrading weapons then combat is trivialized pretty quickly in the game. It’s a legitimate observation, regardless of your misgivings.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
A more mature combat system wouldn’t be the worst thing. I don’t know what Berserk is but I was thinking something more along the lines of Jedi: Fallen Order or a lighter version of Elden Ring.

At the very least a more difficult combat mode that isn’t just a cheap gimmick like Master Mode was. As it stands now unless I self impose some caps like Max 13 hearts and no upgrading weapons then combat is trivialized pretty quickly in the game. It’s a legitimate observation, regardless of your misgivings.
Berserk heavily influenced FromSoftware games. The brutal combat, characters suffering misfortunes and the very bleak universes are Berserk staples.

Zelda games target a different demographic. Those games are clearly made with the idea that you can finish them as a casual gamer without having to collect that many things. That's why completionists are always disappointed when they get to the final boss and just crush it as they are way overpowered.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

I'm going to assume you've never played any other game in the series because it's been like this for a long time.

Combat has, and never will be the primary focus of Zelda. Exploration and puzzles has been. A lot of the older games are easy enough you could legit beat them with only 3 hearts and never take a hit.

Brought in new players because they completely overhauled how one interacts with and explores with the world they're in.

Chastising the new game for its art style while conveniently ignoring BOTW/TOTK having fairly cartoon-ish looking graphics/art design is also a great use of selective thinking

It's the game that got me into the series because of the exact reason people hated it; the art style. Remember back in the day, probably being about 9 or 10 years old going to the video store and seeing this game with a bunch of cartoon characters on the cover and being like "wait, this is Zelda? i thought it was medieval and stuff" (never been one for medieval fantasy inspired stuff)

Brought it home, fell in love with it. Then i borrowed my buddy's copy of OOT since i still had an N64. Been my favorite series ever since.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm going to assume you've never played any other game in the series because it's been like this for a long time.

Combat has, and never will be the primary focus of Zelda. Exploration and puzzles has been. A lot of the older games are easy enough you could legit beat them with only 3 hearts and never take a hit.

Brought in new players because they completely overhauled how one interacts with and explores with the world they're in.

Chastising the new game for its art style while conveniently ignoring BOTW/TOTK having fairly cartoon-ish looking graphics/art design is also a great use of selective thinking

It's the game that got me into the series because of the exact reason people hated it; the art style. Remember back in the day, probably being about 9 or 10 years old going to the video store and seeing this game with a bunch of cartoon characters on the cover and being like "wait, this is Zelda? i thought it was medieval and stuff" (never been one for medieval fantasy inspired stuff)

Brought it home, fell in love with it. Then i borrowed my buddy's copy of OOT since i still had an N64. Been my favorite series ever since.
It was just an opinion pal. You can play and enjoy your cartoon princess game with no qualms from me

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
One of the things I like about Nintendo is their willingness to try (and very often pull off) new things with their long running franchises.

If they went in a totally different direction with Zelda - like making it more mature and more difficult - I would probably be intrigued. But I don't have any preference between a more cartoony or more "realistic" vibe, or an "easy" or more difficult game.

I just hope they have a unique vision for the next game and that they try something totally different like they did with BoTW. But I have no will to impose any ideas or limitations on them, I want to see what their creative team has in store.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It was just an opinion pal. You can play and enjoy your cartoon princess game with no qualms from me
I will and can say with certainly it'll be better than most, if not all the garbage you play.

Can't handle a different art style so you debase it. Go back to your fromslop that hasn't changed it's shitty, dreary artstyle since demon's souls.

"It is just an opinion but let me take a passive aggressive shot at this game because i am assmad it doesn't appeal to my very specific wants"

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
One of the things I like about Nintendo is their willingness to try (and very often pull off) new things with their long running franchises.

If they went in a totally different direction with Zelda - like making it more mature and more difficult - I would probably be intrigued. But I don't have any preference between a more cartoony or more "realistic" vibe, or an "easy" or more difficult game.

I just hope they have a unique vision for the next game and that they try something totally different like they did with BoTW. But I have no will to impose any ideas or limitations on them, I want to see what their creative team has in store.
I think they'll keep the core open world design mindset, but the ways that world is used is probably where you'll see the crazy shifts/changes

Breath of the Wild was the game changer, Tears of the Kingdom was more in line with what you'd expect from a Nintendo made game (same core game, but with some new, crazy stuff thrown on top of it to freshen up) and in a couple ways, that hurt the game slightly.

With both games, i think it's fair to say they've kinda fully explored this design blueprint. Same map has been used to the point you've put something somewhere, be it in the sky or underground. You build a nearly unparalleled physics engine that opened up almost limitless creativity. There's quite literally not much wiggle room left.

I fully expect the next game to be totally different in the world itself, the way you explore it and probably a totally new gimmick to build stuff like the shrines around...which also means we're probably wait until minimum the end of the decade for it.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Can't handle a different art style so you debase it. Go back to your fromslop that hasn't changed it's shitty, dreary artstyle since demon's souls.
Isnt that what you’re throwing a tantrum about now with the souls games? I didn’t know that was such a controversial thing to say and I didn’t mean to have anyone throw a hissy about it.

I said after this art style it would be cool if they switched it up to something more mature. BOTW was a 10/10 experience for me and I loved TOTK for the most part too. I’m sure I’ll love the next real installment of the series just as much.

Reactions: Beau Knows

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Lol, this Zelda conversation is taking me back to the 2000's.

(Wind Waker is the only Zelda i have beaten, heh)
I'd say I'm surprised it's still a thing... but really I'm not. Personally I think the game looks great, and another reason I need to get a switch one of these days.

I will say though, it's not happening with the next iteration but if you want Nintendo to come out with a 'Souls-like' game with one of there properties Metroid Prime would be the way to go. Can't make it a complete clone because its not melee combat, but there's more synergy in level design.

Personally I like my Metroid Prime as is, but it would be interesting.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The Zelda Echo game looks more appealing to me than the newer zelda games. I know they get amazing reviews and people love them, but i just couldnt find them fun for the life of me.

OoT will still be my favorite game of all time.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I've been playing the OOT and Majoras Mask PC ports on and off. They still hold up today especially with the new features added to these versions like arbitrary framerate support. Would vastly prefer a new game like those two or Wind Waker instead of yet another modern open game.

Also, hard pass on the Souls mechanics. It feels like every other action game that comes out these days has the exact same slow, lumbering combat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad