Value of: Nils Hoglander for a D-prospect or pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Barron is definitely the sort of guy who might draw some interest for the Canucks. From the Habs end though...i'm not sure Hoglander really makes a ton of sense. They probably don't want to add another undersized winger. Hoggy is like young Gally in that he's tenacious and unafraid, chippy even, but he is still physically small and not particularly strong. He's got good balance and elusiveness that when he's playing his best hockey, he uses to buzz around the net area, slot, high danger spots...and track down pucks as a forechecker.

I'd reckon Podkolzin would be Montreal's more likely target if they were moving Barron. I think that's entirely within the realm of what might make sense to move Podkolzin for though. Moving Hoglander feels like the more urgent priority, whereas Podz can chill in the AHL for now and see if he can get his game back to what it looked like originally before overcoaching got in his head bad and really crossed him up. But if the right deal comes along, it'd be worth exploring.
I remember watching him a few years ago and impressed on how he was everywhere, front and center. He didn't light up the joint, at that time we owned the Canucks, but he was working his tail off.

I thought that he would be a 50 point man by now but he stalled somewhere.

Size does matter because we already have a smallish dynamite scorer in CC....but adding another one is not a huge deal because the "TelleTubby Habs" are no longer. From 6'4 and 245 pound defenseman to 220-230 pound forwards, this is a different generation of players.

Barron is going to be a good chip. Obviously we want him to become a top 4, but if the stars align, there is only so many top defensemen you can have and right now, our front end can use more scoring. A 30 goal large body with anger management issues would be great, but then, they are gold valued.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
The problem with doing it strictly for picks is twofold.

1. Hoglander was a high 2nd round pick, somewhat recently. He's also shown flashes that he was a really solid pick there. So that's immediately going to loom over whatever deal in terms of perceptions and set a pretty firm floor in trying to get "like value" back.

2. A deal of Hoggy for picks probably turns into a multi-step process. Where the Canucks likely turn around and flip that pick(s) for a young player/prospect who is closer to making an impact anyway. Which is fine, but adds a layer of complication compared to just swapping for a comparable prospect with a different position/role.

Barron is definitely the sort of guy who might draw some interest for the Canucks. From the Habs end though...i'm not sure Hoglander really makes a ton of sense. They probably don't want to add another undersized winger. Hoggy is like young Gally in that he's tenacious and unafraid, chippy even, but he is still physically small and not particularly strong. He's got good balance and elusiveness that when he's playing his best hockey, he uses to buzz around the net area, slot, high danger spots...and track down pucks as a forechecker.

I'd reckon Podkolzin would be Montreal's more likely target if they were moving Barron. I think that's entirely within the realm of what might make sense to move Podkolzin for though. Moving Hoglander feels like the more urgent priority, whereas Podz can chill in the AHL for now and see if he can get his game back to what it looked like originally before overcoaching got in his head bad and really crossed him up. But if the right deal comes along, it'd be worth exploring.
On the negative side of the value equation for Hoglander you have his diminutive size, the fact that he's never replicated his early success and as such spent most of last season I'm the minors, and that he now requires waivers. All that adds up to limited value despite his draft position and early success

I remember watching him a few years ago and impressed on how he was everywhere, front and center. He didn't light up the joint, at that time we owned the Canucks, but he was working his tail off.

Size does matter because we already have a smallish dynamite scorer in CC....but adding another one is not a huge deal because the "TelleTubby Habs" are no longer. From 6'4 and 245 pound defenseman to 220-230 pound forwards, this is a different generation of players.

Barron is going to be a good chip. Obviously we want him to become a top 4, but if the stars align, there is only so many top defensemen you can have and right now, our front end can use more scoring. A 30 goal large body with anger management issues would be great, but then, they are gold valued.
A roster that potentially includes the likes of Ylonen, Caufield and RHP has no space for Hoglander

Reactions: malcb33

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Unfortunately, both Hoglander and Podkolzin have seemed to get themselves turned around a little bit when it comes to playing like that. Like they did when they first arrived. It appears that the tumultuous coaching carousel has got them a little scrambled and off course. Both initially had a lot of promise, but it's been a struggle for both of them in getting back to playing the way they originally did.

I actually really like the fit of Marty as a guy to get either of them back on track though. He seems to have a real knack for getting guys to play loose, instinctively, confidently.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I like Hoglander and really want him to work out here just not seeing much of a return for him at the moment. If there was a right shot D prospect to trade for him it would have been done already
I bet you could get a decent prospect for Hoglander in such a swap construct. At least the same level you’d get for Podkolzin.

hoglander has been the better player in both the AHL and NHL.

Justin Barron for Podkolzin. Thats an interesting swap idea. I don’t have a feel for which team says no. Value seems similar.

hoglander for Drew Helleson? I think the Ducks need to add a third and Vancouver adds a 5th or 6th to that.

Reactions: BCNate

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

It kind of is, because Caufield isn't the only undersized Hab. Gallagher isn't going anywhere for 4 seasons, RHP looks like he'll be an NHLer, Newhook is undersized, Farrell is one of Montreal's better forward prospects, and on D Hutson is one of Montreal's best prospects. Add Hoglander and that's more undersized forwards than the "TelleTubby Habs". Hoglander is also waivers eligible, so Montreal needs to make room for him on the active roster, which will mean less ice-time for developing guys (and him). He doesn't really make sense for Montreal on any level.

There also isn't even a great reason for Montreal to move Barron right now for someone like Podkolzin. Montreal doesn't actually have any top defencemen right now, they just have a very deep prospect pool headline by a couple of top prospects. Plus, Hutson is probably going to marinate more than a lot of other D prospects, Mailloux has played zero pro games and less than 100 OHL games, and Reinbacher was just drafted. None are all that close to the NHL. Savard and Kovacevic are UFA in two seasons too (and not exactly core D peices). Until Montreal actually gets a strong D-core, I'd rather keep the competition among the young D.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It kind of is, because Caufield isn't the only undersized Hab. Gallagher isn't going anywhere for 4 seasons, RHP looks like he'll be an NHLer, Newhook is undersized, Farrell is one of Montreal's better forward prospects, and on D Hutson is one of Montreal's best prospects. Add Hoglander and that's more undersized forwards than the "TelleTubby Habs". Hoglander is also waivers eligible, so Montreal needs to make room for him on the active roster, which will mean less ice-time for developing guys (and him). He doesn't really make sense for Montreal on any level.

There also isn't even a great reason for Montreal to move Barron right now for someone like Podkolzin. Montreal doesn't actually have any top defencemen right now, they just have a very deep prospect pool headline by a couple of top prospects. Plus, Hutson is probably going to marinate more than a lot of other D prospects, Mailloux has played zero pro games and less than 100 OHL games, and Reinbacher was just drafted. None are all that close to the NHL. Savard and Kovacevic are UFA in two seasons too (and not exactly core D peices). Until Montreal actually gets a strong D-core, I'd rather keep the competition among the young D.
I don't see much in Barron other then another Kulak. I think Mailioux is up by mid season and bigger contributer overall then Barron.

Our front end needs another 30 goal scorer and an established player wont be available for someone like Barron.

If not Hogs then Laffy or someone with potential which we hope will be Dach 2.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't see much in Barron other then another Kulak. I think Mailioux is up by mid season and bigger contributer overall then Barron.

Our front end needs another 30 goal scorer and an established player wont be available for someone like Barron.

If not Hogs then Laffy or someone with potential which we hope will be Dach 2.

Kulak was very good for Montreal and is pretty underrated in Edmonton. They also aren't all that comparable. Justin Barron has beaten Kulaks' career high in half a season.

Mailloux wasn't nearly convincing enough in pre-season play to think he'll be up by mid-season. And Montreal is hoping Newhook is Dach 2.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Hoglander would have twice the value if he was waived and cleared waivers
but then VC would have less urgency to trade him ...

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Hoglander would have twice the value if he was waived and cleared waivers
but then VC would have less urgency to trade him ...
His value is negligible. So even at twice the value its still not very high.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Wow he has fallen. A few seasons ago he was insanely hyped.
Our franchise, historically, has a knack for trading away 2nd round picks. Because he was a 2nd rounder, it gave him a lot more hype than he deserved, really. His first NHL season was really promising, but he just hasn't been the same since. It happens.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Our franchise, historically, has a knack for trading away 2nd round picks. Because he was a 2nd rounder, it gave him a lot more hype than he deserved, really. His first NHL season was really promising, but he just hasn't been the same since. It happens.

FWIW when he arrived during covid season or whatever I saw him a ton and he had a crazy motor. A real forechecker almost like a Hyman. IDK if that has left him but he at one point had the tools to be a puck retriever on a teams top 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad