Player Discussion Nils Aman

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Was there a player in the entire organization that came so far, and as fast as Aman? He was a long-shot to make the roster out of training camp, but earned a fourth line center spot.

And although he got farmed out to Abbotsford, he didn't hang his head but worked his butt off in the AHL and than came back up after Horvat was dealt.

He'll probably never be a big-time scorer and needs improvement in the faceoff dot, but he's definitely got the size and his wheels are obviously NHL-caliber. What's intriguing is that he was beginning to show some real smarts and vision on the ice as the season wound down.

Pretty impressive for a guy drafted in the sixth round by the Avalanche and then failing to earn a contract from them. It's a big year coming up for Aman. But so far, so good.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This is such a huge off-season for Nils Aman.
Needs to take his next developmental step now. Need to see that step up in his hands and aggression in the offesive zone. His work defesively and on the PK got him another year... but nows the age where the later developing players like Joshua start to show more flashes.

Roster competition is tougher this season - proabably catches an opportunity break with Boeser out for 6 months... if he doesn't show something, he's an easy release.

But i think he has a little more to give.... he's got the IQ to hang... let's see the result of his work this summer. Could be another great story of found talent... or...

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Was solid when he came into the lineup for Lafferty in the playoffs, was excellent on the PK. Forward group is deep this year, he will have a tough time making it full time with the team but will be an excellent depth option, likely the 13th forward, he’s a dependable & reliable low maintenance player.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm one of the few people here it seems who kind of dislike the player. To me he's a low event player who plays way too passively. Ya he's good defensively and excellent on the PK but the sum is less than the parts. I think he'll be back in Europe within 2 years.

Reactions: Regal

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm one of the few people here it seems who kind of dislike the player. To me he's a low event player who plays way too passively. Ya he's good defensively and excellent on the PK but the sum is less than the parts. I think he'll be back in Europe within 2 years.

I agree. I haven’t seen anything from him that stands out enough to want him in the lineup other than the fact he can play center. He’s not really fast or physical or skilled at anything in particular. I think with Heinen and DeBrusk added, Blueger and Suter should be bottom 6 centers and Aman should just be injury replacement/spot duty. I’m not sure he sticks in the league long term either.

Reactions: F A N

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He is what he is - a cheap, low maintenance 4th liner with positional versatility and PK utility who has a solid grasp of system/positional play.

He’s probably never going to break out and score 15 goals or anything but he’s an ideal 13th forward.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unless Aman comes on strong in training camp, he could be ticketed for Abbotsford. The competition for bottom-of-the roster spots will be intense next season.

There's at least four guys from Abbotsord who'll be locked in an internal competition for some of the depth roles. About all Aman has going for him is that he can slot in at either center or wing, so he might have a bit of an edge there.

But I'd really like to see one or two of Bains, Karlsson, Sasson or Raty step up and make it impossible for the Canucks to send them down.

Reactions: Regal

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Largely depends on how they use Suter. If they run him at centre, Aman will probably be a rotational 4th line winger subbing in with the other fringe guys. If they keep Suter at wing, Aman could grab the 4C spot.

Personally, I think they’re switching Suter back to centre to run four NHL Cs.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I agree. I haven’t seen anything from him that stands out enough to want him in the lineup other than the fact he can play center. He’s not really fast or physical or skilled at anything in particular. I think with Heinen and DeBrusk added, Blueger and Suter should be bottom 6 centers and Aman should just be injury replacement/spot duty. I’m not sure he sticks in the league long term either.

Aman is a type of guy every organization needs. He can play multiple positions, he won't hurt you considering he's a low event type player as stated, he makes safe plays, he's solid defensively, and he very good on the PK, all for less than 1 million dollars.

The staple 4th liner every contender needs.

Reactions: MS

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Aman is a type of guy every organization needs. He can play multiple positions, he won't hurt you considering he's a low event type player as stated, he makes safe plays, he's solid defensively, and he very good on the PK, all for less than 1 million dollars.

I don’t disagree per se. I think he’s fine as a 13th forward who doesn’t hurt you, but ultimately I think most teams would prefer someone who brings something a bit more, whether that’s skating, physical play, face offs, etc.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Isn’t that exactly what you want from a 13th forward? Low event mistake free hockey, doesn’t try to do too much, has positional versatility, is good on the PK. Much rather have a low event depth player than a guy like Juulsen that tries to stand out by laying big open ice hits leading to odd man rushes and goals against. Aman knows his role and doesn’t try to do more than he needs to.

Reactions: Russian_fanatic

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
Largely depends on how they use Suter. If they run him at centre, Aman will probably be a rotational 4th line winger subbing in with the other fringe guys. If they keep Suter at wing, Aman could grab the 4C spot.

Personally, I think they’re switching Suter back to centre to run four NHL Cs.
I just don't see the space available for him as a regular on the roster. He's the perfect 13th forward with how versatile he is. The only player he may be better than is Podkolzin but I think Canucks would rather play Podz since he's got higher upside.

Debrusk Pete Hoglander
Heinen Miller Boeser
Joshua Blueger Garland
Sherwood Suter Podkolzin
Aman

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I just don't see the space available for him as a regular on the roster. He's the perfect 13th forward with how versatile he is. The only player he may be better than is Podkolzin but I think Canucks would rather play Podz since he's got higher upside.

Debrusk Pete Hoglander
Heinen Miller Boeser
Joshua Blueger Garland
Sherwood Suter Podkolzin
Aman

Podz has more upside and brings it more offensively 5-on-5. Aman has positional versatility and is a good penalty killer, Di Giuseppe is a very good penalty killer as well (was excellent on the 4th line for us in the playoffs), Camp will be important for those 3, but agree with you think Podz will be in the opening night lineup and Nils Aman & Di Giuseppe will be the 13th/14th

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't think either podkolzin or aman make the roster. maybe one or both hang on because they aren't waiver exempt but pdg is getting in the lineup. tocchet loves him

aman is fine as organizational depth but the fact that he's no longer waiver exempt means his utility goes way down and i expect his days with the canucks are numbered. he's just not good enough for a regular spot and younger players with more upside like bains, sasson and raty are breathing down his neck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Isn’t that exactly what you want from a 13th forward? Low event mistake free hockey, doesn’t try to do too much, has positional versatility, is good on the PK. Much rather have a low event depth player than a guy like Juulsen that tries to stand out by laying big open ice hits leading to odd man rushes and goals against. Aman knows his role and doesn’t try to do more than he needs to.

It does depend on what you're looking for but usually the guys with longevity are guys who aren't low event players. Take two of the guys we signed. Sherwood. That's a guy a team could of had as a 13th forward for 2-3 years. Heinan was a PTO signing. The Dakota Joshuas type you entice with one-way contracts and opportunity. Then you have guys like Aman for the Canucks - guys in your system you want to keep around to see if they blossom. If they don't you move on. There are good young players not qualified nowadays as well as waiver wire.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Exactly... You nailed how I see him.. hence this off season is Go Time...
Needs a development step up with his hands and aggression or its next man up...

But I kinda feel like we'll see something... Kinda expecting progress. Based on his IQ. It's fairly rare to see young guys that capable of playing to a wash/not hurting you and being that capable defensively.. he might be able to swing that IQ into some offensive development.
Let's see.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
i don't think either podkolzin or aman make the roster. maybe one or both hang on because they aren't waiver exempt but pdg is getting in the lineup.
Agree Di Giuseppe is currently the better player, if it was game 1 of the playoffs Di Giuseppe would be in. Over the course of the season we’ll probably see the 3 rotated frequently. More upside with the other 2 over Di Giuseppe who’s 31, Aman is 24 & Podkolzin is only 23. Hoping Podkolzin has a terrific offseason and takes the next step. Nice to have depth in case of injury, players not gifted spots and having to earn it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad