Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hornbæk
I really hope that Ehlers gets going soon, last game was the first one in a long time I saw him actually playing.

Does anyone remember when the last time was when he had a goal, or even a point? I honesty can’t.

Something may be troubling him, and him starting the season on the fourth line makes me wonder if he really has fallen out with the organization as someone suggested. What’s the current rumor status on this? I think the same poster also told about a rumor in Denmark about him not getting along with Scheif, if true I hope they work things out.
That would be me - However I do not wish to post more, as it seemed to really annoy some posters, you are welcome to PM me tho.

He is definitely icecold tho, and I have my opinions as to why, however he isn't really seeing alot of ice.

2a7how9.png

Almost at the bottom of all players, and at the same time not seing alot of PP.
Team is having a hard time finding the net in the first place.

Reactions: Tommigun

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hornbæk
If memory serves me....Ehlers was slow to start last season as well.....I wouldn't be worried, he's a good player
He started last season in full force if I remember correctly, 10pts in 8 first games with Chef and Wheeler I think.

Could be that 8 game run, was a few games in.

I believe his sophmore season was a slow start tho.

Last edited:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
He started last season in full force if I remember correctly, 10pts in 8 first games with Chef and Wheeler I think.

Agree. IMO he was the best Jets player the first 10 games or so... In general a lot of posters seem to have fairly short term memories. I've seen several people claim he lacks consistency in producing and that would be true if we only talk scoring but that's the case with every NHL player in the league. Points wise he never went more than three games all last season without producing. This year has been different but I'd argue he hasn't exactly been put in a situation to succeed before this past game.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017

Last season he kick started the Jets season with a hattrick against the
Oilers... and PoMo said thank you with demoting Him from the 1.line 2 games later... Honestly you cant blame Him for lack of confidence..... when he feels the lack of confidence from his coach!! Ehlers have played poorly but there is a reason for that.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers does not look right out there to me ?? something is really off with his game. I can tell by his body language that he is not loose and free wheeling it out there. In order for Ehlers to be effective, he needs to be a free wheeling skater, and use his speed to intimidate the opposition, and back off the defenders. I see a much more conservative Nik Ehlers out there.

What I think is, he's listening to much to how he should change his game, make smarter passes when he enters the offensive zone etc. and this "overthinking" is causing a sluggish start to Nik's season. He looks very tentative out there, and Maurice is not helping by demoting him to the 3rd or 4th line, and causing him to question himself, and play with a lack of confidence. Ehlers is being mishandled IMO.

I'd like to see him relax and be the player he can be --and we all know the way he started last year--with 10 points in his first 8 games. That's the real Nik Ehlers. Things haven't changed in 12 months --he's still the same Nik Ehlers, and should be improving his production over last year ??

I should also add, that if Ehlers was put back on the first line, he would produce as much as Connor, but I think more. This guy is a big talent - but has receded into his shell, and he needs to get out of it.

Last edited:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Ehlers does not look right out there to me ?? something is really off with his game. I can tell by his body language that he is not loose and free wheeling it out there. In order for Ehlers to be effective, he needs to be a free wheeling skater, and use his speed to intimidate the opposition, and back off the defenders. I see a much more conservative Nik Ehlers out there.

What I think is, he's listening to much to how he should change his game, make smarter passes when he enters the offensive zone etc. and this "overthinking" is causing a sluggish start to Nik's season. He looks very tentative out there, and Maurice is not helping by demoting him to the 3rd or 4th line, and causing him to question himself, and play with a lack of confidence. Ehlers is being mishandled IMO.

I'd like to see him relax and be the player he can be --and we all know the way he started last year--with 10 points in his first 8 games. That's the real Nik Ehlers. Things haven't changed in 12 months --he's still the same Nik Ehlers, and should be improving his production over last year ??

I should also add, that if Ehlers was put back on the first line, he would produce as much as Connor, but I think more. This guy is a big talent - but has receded into his shell, and he needs to get out of it.
Good breakdown. I agree he is being misused, but I for one am quickly losing confidence that he will ever be a key cog in the Jets attack. With other highly skilled wingers like Laine & Connor who seem both destined for stardom, how many highly skilled & highly paid wingers do we need. Never been on the trade Ehlers bandwagon before, but I'm rapidly getting there.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Good breakdown. I agree he is being misused, but I for one am quickly losing confidence that he will ever be a key cog in the Jets attack. With other highly skilled wingers like Laine & Connor who seem both destined for stardom, how many highly skilled & highly paid wingers do we need. Never been on the trade Ehlers bandwagon before, but I'm rapidly getting there.

Easier said than done with him starting his $6,000,000 cap hit this season.

Now would be the worst time to trade him if the Jets want a value return. His contract value went way up and his play has gone way down. I think he can bounce back, but I also think the Jets have no choice but to hope he can work his way out of this malaise.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Maybe he doesn't like his socks, and that is what's bothering him:

upload_2018-10-16_12-42-37.jpeg

Of course, they look better than the Laine socks I saw at the HHOF giftshop a couple weekends ago:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
2/3rds of the team has started off slow this season and it's only 5 games in.

If Ehlers is not putting up points by game 10 let's revisit the sky is falling theory on this player.

Apparently Perreault hasn't put up any points either. Trade frenchie now.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
2/3rds of the team has started off slow this season and it's only 5 games in.

If Ehlers is not putting up points by game 10 let's revisit the sky is falling theory on this player.

Apparently Perreault hasn't put up any points either. Trade frenchie now

If I was Chevy and could trade Perrault, I would look seriously at doing that, He's not scoring, and is really turned into a 2 way hard working forward, but we need goals. If we could get a good 2nd line center for MP, I'd make that deal.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

If I was Chevy and could trade Perrault, I would look seriously at doing that, He's not scoring, and is really turned into a 2 way hard working forward, but we need goals. If we could get a good 2nd line center for MP, I'd make that deal.

"Hello (other GM), I have a good 3rd line winger that I'd like to swap for your good 2nd line center."

What are you adding from the Jets end?

Reactions: Duke749

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
"Hello (other GM), I have a good 3rd line winger that I'd like to swap for your good 2nd line center."

What are you adding from the Jets end?

Yes, your right Spock--we'd have to add another good player to make this deal happen.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC

So 5 games in, Ehlers isn't scoring Frenchie isn't, Buff only has 1 point, Little only has one point, Scheif and Laine only with only 3 points each for players that are supposed to be elite.
My point kind of stands on Ehlers and other players.

Pump the brakes. Some posters...not all are using a slow start by the whole team to promote their personal biases against players they just don't like.
I don't like Trouba and I think in preseason and the start of this season he looked slow and uninterested most of the 5 games and I haven't called for him to be launched into the sun or traded, because I realize he is a good player and the season is early.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

Yes, your right Spock--we'd have to add another good player to make this deal happen.
There is definitely room for debate between trading a regressing veteran plus more vs trading a young star, both with intention of filling a positional need. There are pros and cons to both options.
That need is a defenseman though, if you were to ask me.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
So 5 games in, Ehlers isn't scoring Frenchie isn't, Buff only has 1 point, Little only has one point, Scheif and Laine only with only 3 points each for players that are supposed to be elite.
My point kind of stands on Ehlers and other players.

Pump the brakes. Some posters...not all are using a slow start by the whole team to promote their personal biases against players they just don't like.
I don't like Trouba and I think in preseason and the start of this season he looked slow and uninterested most of the 5 games and I haven't called for him to be launched into the sun or traded, because I realize he is a good player and the season is early.

Very good points you make here Bison, and people should not overreact after only 5 games of the season. I've always felt this way, for the last couple of years about Perrault though. I just think we need a 2nd line center more than a hard working 2 way winger

I also feel the same way about Trouba as you do -uninterested, and slow.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I believe Ehlers is a creative player who needs confidence and his coach's trust. He's gotten the opposite, always being shuffled around, being taken off the top line after performing very well, and being stuck on a subpar line for almost a full season.

A 6 million contract will look like a steal if Ehlers can return to his normal scoring pace, which i think he would if he was given a better line and lots of TOI to work through his slump. No way would I trade him, especially not now.

Ares

May 8, 2018
Ehlers is my favorite player, probably (him and Scheifele and Lemieux, Bucky...)

I'm not too worried. He showed his elite skill in pre-season. The goals will come and then everything else will follow. Real test will be if we make the playoffs again. He can't go another series with no goals.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I believe Ehlers is a creative player who needs confidence and his coach's trust. He's gotten the opposite, always being shuffled around, being taken off the top line after performing very well, and being stuck on a subpar line for almost a full season.

A 6 million contract will look like a steal if Ehlers can return to his normal scoring pace, which i think he would if he was given a better line and lots of TOI to work through his slump. No way would I trade him, especially not now.

Well said Jack -and I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why Ehlers has been shuffled around like he has ?? He needs to get settled with some regular linemates, so he can get his confidence back and start to produce. Ehlers is being "mismanaged."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad