Nikolaj Ehlers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Lowry is going to play center. Why would they move him now? They moved Perreault to wing to keep him at center.

I would not re-sign Slater. Frolik is probably still a Jet. Buff will play D.

3rd line of Ehlers Lowry Frolik is a possibilty. Ehlers might actually play RW on the 2nd.

Petan probably starts in the AHL maybe Morrissey too

I think it's the other way around: Ehlers is the 50-50 candidate to make the Jets or not, probably will get 9 games and then we'll see what happens and Petan is pretty much a lock to make the team.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think it's the other way around: Ehlers is the 50-50 candidate to make the Jets or not, probably will get 9 games and then we'll see what happens and Petan is pretty much a lock to make the team.

I don't think any junior aged player is a lock. Depends on who comes the other way in the Kane trade to some extent.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I agree except I wouldn't consider Petan a lock. It depends on vacancies and there are a lot of possible configurations.

I don't think any junior aged player is a lock. Depends on who comes the other way in the Kane trade to some extent.

We can see 3 clear vacancies in the top 9 right now, Buff, Kane and Frolik need to be replaced. We also have a number of potential candidates to fill those vacancies. Burmi, Frolik, Petan, Ehlers and whoever we get back for Kane not to mention any possible FAs. That looks like pretty good competition for those spots.

If Frolik goes (probable), Burmi comes back and 1 spot is filled by the Kane trade (both also probable) that leaves Ehlers and Petan competing for the remaining spot. I don't think we can predict the outcome of that very well yet. If it is close I would lean toward keeping Ehlers and sending Petan to the Rock because Petan would then be freely available for call-up. He could go up and down several times through the year if necessary and would likely spend most of the year with the Jets. There are always injuries. In hindsight we should have kept Petan this year instead of either Hali or Gali. They could have taken turns going up and down and we would have had plenty of use for Petan, especially right now.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I disagree. I think Ehlers is more likely to make the Jets than Petan. He has really high end skating that sets him apart. I think his development curve has been so impressive that it's hard to see him spending any time in junior after this season.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I disagree. I think Ehlers is more likely to make the Jets than Petan. He has really high end skating that sets him apart. I think his development curve has been so impressive that it's hard to see him spending any time in junior after this season.

I tend to agree with this as well. Add to that: Petan can play in the AHL next year, and come and go without having to clear waivers. I could see them wanting Pecan to get accustomed to the Pro game, and be ready for call-ups when injuries happen.

Edit: LOL at the Petan autocorrect to Pecan. :D

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I agree except I wouldn't consider Petan a lock. It depends on vacancies and there are a lot of possible configurations.

We can see 3 clear vacancies in the top 9 right now, Buff, Kane and Frolik need to be replaced. We also have a number of potential candidates to fill those vacancies. Burmi, Frolik, Petan, Ehlers and whoever we get back for Kane not to mention any possible FAs. That looks like pretty good competition for those spots.

If Frolik goes (probable), Burmi comes back and 1 spot is filled by the Kane trade (both also probable) that leaves Ehlers and Petan competing for the remaining spot. I don't think we can predict the outcome of that very well yet. If it is close I would lean toward keeping Ehlers and sending Petan to the Rock because Petan would then be freely available for call-up. He could go up and down several times through the year if necessary and would likely spend most of the year with the Jets. There are always injuries. In hindsight we should have kept Petan this year instead of either Hali or Gali. They could have taken turns going up and down and we would have had plenty of use for Petan, especially right now.

Of course those positions assume that we keep our 4th line as a non-hockey goon line. If we moved Lowry down to the 4th and made that line into an actual hockey line, we would have quite a few spaces available.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I tend to agree with this as well. Add to that: Petan can play in the AHL next year, and come and go without having to clear waivers. I could see them wanting Pecan to get accustomed to the Pro game, and be ready for call-ups when injuries happen.

Lil Nic Pecan!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Of course those positions assume that we keep our 4th line as a non-hockey goon line. If we moved Lowry down to the 4th and made that line into an actual hockey line, we would have quite a few spaces available.

If we replace Slater that opens 1 more position. We are starting to accumulate a few Cs playing wing. Perry, likely Burmi, maybe Petan and maybe somebody for Kane plus a possible in Copp. That provides some very nice flexibility.

I am hoping that Copp turns pro and is ready to take over 4C. That is based on the very strong endorsements from a couple of people here. If Chevy expects that he should logically let Slater go or even trade him at the TD but if I had to put money on it I would say he re-signs Slater for at least 1 more year. He played well against Colorado. Maybe he has more in him than some here expected. Both Thor and Peluso have played well lately too. Its confusing. :) I'm not too surprised at Peluso. I had a feeling he was capable of better if he started getting more TOI. I don't know if he has much more improvement in him or not. Thor though has been quite a bit better than I though the could be. He keeps going N/S, goes to the front of the net and has stopped going off-side so much. With better linemates or the same linemates playing better he is not spending so much time trapped in his own end. Could PST be turning into an adequate 4th line? Serious question.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I see it the opposite way.
Ehlers plays a high tempo wheeling game in jr.
He cuts in and out of the middle blind all the time. I heard someone on 1290 a few weeks back comment on how he can do it in Jr. but there is no way he will be able to do that in the NHL.
Petan is a much more "aware" player in my opinion.
He is shifty and wise finding space always aware of the danger. Petan has played in the big bad W and has been fighting size deficits since day 1. But he's more than made up for it at every level.
I think he will make it while Ehlers needs more development.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I forgot about Copp!!!!

Seriously Iis it me or do the Jets look deeper than most teams out there?
6 at WJC
top players in college hockey,
Picks and prospects from Kane, Burmi( or assets gained by trading him). it's the quality that is impressing me

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I forgot about Copp!!!!

Seriously Iis it me or do the Jets look deeper than most teams out there?
6 at WJC
top players in college hockey,
Picks and prospects from Kane, Burmi( or assets gained by trading him). it's the quality that is impressing me

Certainly looks good right now but several other teams look the same or better. Until some of these prospects start to contribute it is only perceived depth and quality. It would feel more solid to me if more of them were succeeding in the A but it is just too soon for that. Another year or two and we could be solid.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Certainly looks good right now but several other teams look the same or better. Until some of these prospects start to contribute it is only perceived depth and quality. It would feel more solid to me if more of them were succeeding in the A but it is just too soon for that. Another year or two and we could be solid.

All are best prospects are real youngsters which is great for us. Our prospect depth is all in the CHL and NCAA. A couple of them will likely never play in the A, but chances are in a year or 2 we will see what strong prospects look like playing in the minors.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Good, cause his Corsi skills are nuts.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
He cuts in and out of the middle blind all the time. I heard someone on 1290 a few weeks back comment on how he can do it in Jr. but there is no way he will be able to do that in the NHL.
He is shifty and wise finding space always aware of the danger. Petan has played in the big bad W and has been fighting size deficits since day 1. But he's more than made up for it at every level.

Ehlers needs more development against men, not teenagers. He's already scoring at a PPG pace, what else can he possibly learn there? He won't learn pro defence when he barely has to play D at all in the Q, and he won't stop using junior moves on junior defence when he doesn't have to.

The only way I don't see him making the team is if he absolutely blows it, which seems unlikely.

There may be some growing pains for him in the NHL but the way I see those either happen next year or the year after. May as well be next year.

I'm also biased towards Ehlers over Petan because Petan can be recalled while Ehlers can't.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Tonight's game will give Ehers the chance to extend his point streak to 30 games. Add in a Jets win and my wife not forgetting it's my birthday and it'll be a pretty good day!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Tonight's game will give Ehers the chance to extend his point streak to 30 games. Add in a Jets win and my wife not forgetting it's my birthday and it'll be a pretty good day!

Happy Birthday!!!!!

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg

I agree with this. Ehlers will need some AHL time simply to learn what he can and can't get away with at the pro level.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hornbæk
I agree with this. Ehlers will need some AHL time simply to learn what he can and can't get away with at the pro level.

So you are ok with waiting till he is eligable for the AHL?

Jr. has dibs on him, so he would have to go back till he is old enough.
And IMO Jr. is only going to hurt him if he stays one more season.

It's the Jets or Europe IMO - And even Europe will be dificult over Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad