Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Just like clarkson and Phaneuf?

I love the revisionist history around Dion Phaneuf. While he was with Toronto, the main boards were flooded with posts about who he "faced the toughest competition in the league" and heated arguments where tons of Leaf fans insisted he was a #1 blue liner and wasn't overpaid.

Then, when he was traded for virtually nothing, a few years pass and now all of that nonsense and ridiculous claims are forgotten and now the narrative is how the Leafs were able to move that contract when everyone said they couldn't. Removed from the story, however, is how Leaf fans were claiming he could be moved for value and was a #1 blue liner and instead it's being replaced with "You said we couldn't trade him and we did."

On the topic of Clarkson, it seems to be ignored that Clarkson's contract was moved, but the price to move it was nearly $30 million. The Leafs are shelling out THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS in order to have traded David Clarkson away. Yes, bravo, great piece of asset management and a real victory for the Leafs worthy of boasting and bragging about here on the forum.

Reactions: Huffer

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
People here acting like the contracts some d-men get on July 1 don’t exist.

I’m not saying Zaitsev is going to get some great return, or that the Leafs won’t have to add something, but what some people are suggesting is so off base.

It's not the money so much as it is the term. I'd definitely take him on at $4.5M for a year or two. Five is absurd. We already lived through that with Jonathan Ericsson.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Can you prove your claim? He's been getting absolutely demolished at even strength the past 3 years, it's sad to watch. Guy's a shell of what he was at one time. Before you give me the "Vancouver's just bad" excuse, he's by far the worst on a bad team for bleeding shots and dangerous chances against.

Again that's in the 45-55 games he actually ends up playing in any given year.

I'm sure someone might take a chance on him to the tune of a 2nd at the deadline, but I wouldn't exactly call that valuable.

If you say so.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Well they do for Marner but not anything else beyond that.

Yeah, they're going to have to move some cap around, and there's really only two candidates unless Marleau changes heart on waiving.

There are very few teams with a chance of winning the Cup that would be willing to take on Marleau's $6M. If I'm one of those teams, in realization of that, I'd be demanding a hefty price.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Clarkson was dealt for Horton. Bad contract for a bad contract. Phaneuf returned a 4 mil Michalek that they ended up sending to the AHL. The other key difference is that those trades the Leafs didn't have any real cap concerns where they do now. They can't take a bad contract back because it defeats the purpose.
Those 2 trades were to Toronto’s advantage. The Horton trade was made cause Toronto could pay out money for Horton. Something Columbus couldn’t do. And the phaneuf deal was for players with 1 or 2 years and Phaneuf had what? 4 years left. Bottom line is it worked out for Toronto.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
I love the revisionist history around Dion Phaneuf. While he was with Toronto, the main boards were flooded with posts about who he "faced the toughest competition in the league" and heated arguments where tons of Leaf fans insisted he was a #1 blue liner and wasn't overpaid.

Then, when he was traded for virtually nothing, a few years pass and now all of that nonsense and ridiculous claims are forgotten and now the narrative is how the Leafs were able to move that contract when everyone said they couldn't. Removed from the story, however, is how Leaf fans were claiming he could be moved for value and was a #1 blue liner and instead it's being replaced with "You said we couldn't trade him and we did."

On the topic of Clarkson, it seems to be ignored that Clarkson's contract was moved, but the price to move it was nearly $30 million. The Leafs are shelling out THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS in order to have traded David Clarkson away. Yes, bravo, great piece of asset management and a real victory for the Leafs worthy of boasting and bragging about here on the forum.
I don't think money is an issue with the MLSE. They paid Lupul millions to stay home and not play hockey.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I actually don't mind Zaitsev... his contract has a NTC tho?(I think, with expansion coming kinda dangerous) that would be the bigger fear.

I wouldn't pay much for him as far as assets go, but I wouldn't mind taking him in... hed be the 2nd best RHD on our roster... by default but whos counting.
Players with NTC's dont have to be protected.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Leafs will have to add a good prospect/pick(s) to get rid of that contract to a future Coyotes team who used to take on crap contracts with a nice add.
But sheesh half a decade left on that deal? wow

DankinIT

Freddie's Angels
Nov 26, 2018
Calgary

Ya, it's nice being rich. It gives you more options. It didn't affect our cap and we moved Clarkson. What's your point?

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
You’re aware of all the short term cap dumps you had to take on to move Dion, right?

Hell if I’m not mistaken Toronto actually ADDED cap hit short term to move him.

With that in mind, Edmonton offers Kris Russell and Brandon Manning for Zaitsev and Bracco.

Yea thanks for this. Forgot that baggage went the other way too.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
You’re aware of all the short term cap dumps you had to take on to move Dion, right?

Hell if I’m not mistaken Toronto actually ADDED cap hit short term to move him.

With that in mind, Edmonton offers Kris Russell and Brandon Manning for Zaitsev and Bracco.
But in the end it worked out for Toronto. They gained cap on the first 2 years and got out of the remaining 4 years (I believe) of Phaneufs. It worked out for Toronto in the end. But like I said to the other poster. They made it work.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

yeah, being able to make it rain is pretty damn cool.

as for that other crap, the one tiny detail you're conveniently leaving out is that the narratives changed for a reason -- Phaneuf was considerably diminished by the time he left toronto, even from when he arrived there. especially his skating. He was not at all the same player.

so tone it down on the phony back-patting.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I'd maybe give Corey Perry ($8.65 x 2 years) for Zaitsev ($4.5 x 5 years) and Kadri ($4.5 x 2 years).... then try to trade Kadri to another team of prospects/picks. But that term for Zaitsev is horrible...

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Tavares isn't a leaf without phaneuf's trade.

Why does it matter what the fans say?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's not the money so much as it is the term. I'd definitely take him on at $4.5M for a year or two. Five is absurd. We already lived through that with Jonathan Ericsson.

My point is, there will probably be worse deals signed in Free Agency this season, then what Zaitsev’s deal is. Zaitsev is a guy that traditional hockey folks love and 80% of GM’s are traditional based.

Lou loved Zaitsev. Babcock likes Zaitsev. Is it really that hard to believe there isn’t coaches or GMs around the league that also sees value in Zaitsev and may jump at the chance to add him for a low cost, especially if TOR tags in a prospect?

Frankly, it can go either way. Toronto got out of the Clarkson deal. They got out of the Phaneuf deal.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up in Vancouver and Toronto takes back Ryan Spooner or Tim Schaller or something

Reactions: shortfuze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad