Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Sorry guys with all that Sandin insanity your saying

Just a heads up

I was working at SportLogiQ (offical advanced stats provider for 26 NHL team) this winter and according to them Rasmus Sandin is a better prospect than Erik Brannstrom :)

I highly doubt Sandin is the sweetener to get rid of Zaitsev... In fact Sandin is pretty much untouchable.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Maybe or maybe not, if Zaitsev's contract was for only 2 years the Leafs would have no problem moving him without taking salary back or giving up picks. If the roles were reverse and Zaitsev was playing for another team which he wanted to get traded from, do you honestly would want the Leafs to trade for him without sending a bad contract back to that team. He's not a top 4 defenseman, he's a 5th or 6th defenseman who is overpaid by $2 million per year. I'm sure Dubas has spinned it to the media and other GMs that he requested a trade but everyone knows Dubas has to shed salary to resign Marner but it sounds better saying the player who Leaf fans would love to trade has requested a trade.
I don't disagree. mind you, for all we know zaits could just terminate the contract and go back to Russia. If he stays here and gets shipped to another team I'm of the mindset that on the high end the leafs ship him out and take back no assets, on the low end taking back a contract with 1-2 yrs left for a buyout purpose lower than zaitsevs cap hit. Fairly narrow spectrum really

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Unless I'm missing something that doesn't sound like him requesting a trade.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Just a heads up

I was working at SportLogiQ (offical advanced stats provider for 26 NHL team) this winter and according to them Rasmus Sandin is a better prospect than Erik Brannstrom :)

I highly doubt Sandin is the sweetener to get rid of Zaitsev... In fact Sandin is pretty much untouchable.
So you believe in the magic beans that are the so-called "advanced stats" (also known as the Emperor's New Clothes) ?

Superlative Soup

Lights too bright
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan

Just a heads up

Username checks out

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I actually don’t mind Zaitsev. But don’t mind saving cap space. Just hoping they don’t need to retain.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If they traded in after July 1, his real money owed is 3.9 million. Maybe someone bites on that...one where cap ceiling is not an issue for the team.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Both parties need to agree to walk away from the contract.

I would say its pretty unlikely he will agree to walk away from an $18 million contract.

He would be walking away from even more than that. Zaitsev still has 22.5 million (5x4.5m) left on his contract. That would be a huge pile of guaranteed money to just walk away from.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
My fellow caps fans may hate it but Niskanen for Zaitsev+Bracco (maybe a low pick too)

Toronto gets an RD with Muzzin like pedigree and heavy shutdown duty in a recent cup run, we roll the dice on Zaitsev having a Justin Schultz like revival with Carlson and Jensen helping him carry the load

Reactions: Rokker

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Just a heads up

Than Zaitsev is pretty much untouchable for the other 30 GM's in the league and the TML will need to find another way to get cap relief AND help Zaitsev.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Lots of talk about Vancouver looking for RHD. They have cap space. I’m calling Zaitsev to the Canucks. Something like Schaller (cap dump) + Goldobin.
Toronto seems to be on the hunt for cheap forwards with potential. I think Goldobin could be a good fit and could use a fresh start.

I agree Vancouver's defense needs some work. Zaitsev would probably be a good minute muncher for them and could kick start his scoring with larger offensive responsibility. I wouldn't be surprised if his usage and fan reception aren't the reasons for him wanting to leave. I'd even do Zaitsev for Schaller straight up. The Leafs save 2.6M on the cap next season and open up room long term for another RHD. The Leafs need a tougher group iced next season. Schaller would be a good banger on line #4 for a year.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I don't disagree. mind you, for all we know zaits could just terminate the contract and go back to Russia. If he stays here and gets shipped to another team I'm of the mindset that on the high end the leafs ship him out and take back no assets, on the low end taking back a contract with 1-2 yrs left for a buyout purpose lower than zaitsevs cap hit. Fairly narrow spectrum really

And why would any team take on a bottom pairing d-man owed 4.5M$ for the next 5 years?

Leafs fans are out to lunch thinking they're not in the same Bickel-Teravainen situation the Hawks were a couple of years ago.

You'll have to shred out one of your 2 best prospects just to gt a team to LISTEN ton take on that horrible contract. Only then it may be possible for the Leafs to get a shorter term contract and / or a pick

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
And why would any team take on a bottom pairing d-man owed 4.5M$ for the next 5 years?

Leafs fans are out to lunch thinking they're not in the same Bickel-Teravainen situation the Hawks were a couple of years ago.

You'll have to shred out one of your 2 best prospects just to gt a team to LISTEN ton take on that horrible contract. Only then it may be possible for the Leafs to get a shorter term contract and / or a pick

McKenzie just said that it'll have to be a soft deal with no retention. As in, we'll get small positive assets if we don't retain instead of real positive assets if we do retain.

No one is asking for a Teravainen for the privilege of trading them a top-4 RHD for free.

Your opinion is based on nothing, no one serious would support anything close to it.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Than Zaitsev is pretty much untouchable for the other 30 GM's in the league and the TML will need to find another way to get cap relief AND help Zaitsev.

He's a 2nd pairing RHD, if he was a UFA he'd go for 4 million. Look at what Cole/Demers/Russell/Girardi got and he's more capable than any of them

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I agree Vancouver's defense needs some work. Zaitsev would probably be a good minute muncher for them and could kick start his scoring with larger offensive responsibility. I wouldn't be surprised if his usage and fan reception aren't the reasons for him wanting to leave. I'd even do Zaitsev for Schaller straight up. The Leafs save 2.6M on the cap next season and open up room long term for another RHD. The Leafs need a tougher group iced next season. Schaller would be a good banger on line #4 for a year.
Still, no thanks from Canucks... I’d rather 1yr of schaller at fairly cheap then just a redundant bottom pairing D (on a bad contract). It would take a sweetner to even consider a deal at this point.

Reactions: Thorvat

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I guess that will be Dubas trying to protect himself. Cause Babcock doesn’t have the players to win.

Lol the Leafs had one of the better rosters in the NHL. Babcock is a headstrong idiot who needs Datsyuk, Zetteberg and the 2nd greatest D man of all time to do anything. Or Team Canada.

If Trotz or Gallant or someone who knows how to coach beyond being smug and playing their favorite REAL GUD PROS was behind that bench the Leafs would be the ones facing the Blues right now.

Dubas made some bad moves but Babcock's coaching is Eakins tier now. He screws over his star players and can't get anything out of his role players.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I am not pawning off anything. He left money on the table. He is not stupid he wants to improve his mental health as he said
... forward explained how he lost his passion and joy for hockey, which ultimately led to him leaving the Sabres and having his contract terminated.Berglund returned home and has ruled out the possibility of playing hockey again this season. Instead, he wants to focus on his mental health.
"When you feel as bad as I did, and feel what I feel today… I really feel I've made the right decision," Berglund told reporter Pasi Hiirikoski in an article translated from Swedish. "Money is the last thing that means something to me right now."
Patrik Berglund explains to Swedish newspaper why he left the Sabres

When one resasess their mental health they also reasess their value system. I am not now nor was I every claiming that Zaitsev and Bergaland are in the same situation, but he was the last person to leave money on the table ( as was asked) and is not stupid ( as was claimed a person would have to be. For Zaitsev we only know that his is personal and private reasons. Please attempt be be less sanctimonious in the future.

Try not bringing a completely different situation to the table when that was a serious thing that you knew about before you even mentioned it. Don't talk to me about being less sanctimonious when you flippantly bring something like that up to try and pass off some stupid suggestion like Zaitsev terminating his contract and leaving money on the table. It's a garbage thing to do.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I dont think a Zaitsev trade taking back bad salary in return will work for Toronto.

Considering Z plays our most needed position, we arent gonna move him for deadweight salary up front.

I could see the move being one of two types of deals...

Either a small 1 for 1 trade for a cheap LWer with a big body like a:
Zaitsev for N.Ritchie OR Zaitsev for Micheal Dal Colle OR Zaitsev for Lawson Crouse

Or it could be involved in a bigger trade where the leafs get their top pairing d man like a:
Trouba for Zaitsev, AJ, Kapanen OR Ekblad for Zaitsev, AJ +....

In this deal Winnipeg would probably need a capable top 4 RD back when they lose Trouba.

Reactions: teddygmr

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I guess that will be Dubas trying to protect himself. Cause Babcock doesn’t have the players to win.

No, that's not the impression at all. The impression is that Dubas was promoted to GM just last year to move the team towards a modern, analytics style approach. Babcock doesn't fit the mold at all and there might be some tension between coach/GM. Babcock likely knows that he's on borrowed time 'cause he's been throwing some subtle shade at the GM.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Lots of talk about Vancouver looking for RHD. They have cap space. I’m calling Zaitsev to the Canucks. Something like Schaller (cap dump) + Goldobin.
Toronto seems to be on the hunt for cheap forwards with potential. I think Goldobin could be a good fit and could use a fresh start.
No way we take that hideous 5 year contract without a significant add. Not that desperate for a RHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad