Prospect Info: Nikita Tryamkin | VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
He hasn't done anything period, other than take his football and go home in a sulk. He won't accept a 1.5 mil contract. Hell if he would even I would take a flyer on him. But only for one year...

KHL has a salary cap now, I believe it's about $15M per team. He's going to have come over here to get any chance at bigger dough.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would wait like Button said. Lots could happen on the D front.

For all the size and strength of Tryamkin his numbers in the KHL dont jump off the page like a dominant player. For all we know Eriksson could decide he's had enough after July 1st and then that changes everything.

Give him a show me deal and deal with it after 21/22 concludes. He wants to come back but the landscape has changed and he needs to prove himself and we own his rights.

It's a risk but one i would take. We need a legit top 3/4 not more in between guys. And i want him back just wouldn't be prioritizing it

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
In a world where Travis Hamonics are available for $1.25M the idea of paying Tryamkin anything more than $1M smarts.

If he wants a one-way deal, fine, he can have that. But the cap number must be bargain-basement low.
Re signing Hamonic is going to be substantially more than that this time around.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Re signing Hamonic is going to be substantially more than that this time around.

How much would Hamonic cost? As long as it's nothing silly he'd bring some peace of mind to the right side, seems like he's managed to settle in well enough.

If it's too high and Tryamkin was willing to play cheap enough ($1.5M and under) then I'd be tempted to roll the dice with Tryamkin.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
How much would Hamonic cost? As long as it's nothing silly he'd bring some peace of mind to the right side, seems like he's managed to settle in well enough.

If it's too high and Tryamkin was willing to play cheap enough ($1.5M and under) then I'd be tempted to roll the dice with Tryamkin.
I couldn't even venture a guess..He was making $4.8M with the Flames last season, and this season was a one year, 'one off' discount..He is looking like a solid addition to play alongside Hughes..So.I 'm not convinced that we're going to get him for 3rd pairing type $.

Reactions: MarkMM

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Anything under 2m I am fine with honestly

Really - Tryamkin should be $1m or less. He had 1 NHL season several years ago, and there's a big difference between the KHL and the NHL.

But with that said, I think something closer to the $1.5M to $2M range on a 1-year deal is likely where he and the Canucks will land, if an agreement is indeed reached.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Really - Tryamkin should be $1m or less. He had 1 NHL season several years ago, and there's a big difference between the KHL and the NHL.

But with that said, I think something closer to the $1.5M to $2M range on a 1-year deal is likely where he and the Canucks will land, if an agreement is indeed reached.
In one year Tree is a UFA. I’m thinking we sign him for at least two, and likely three years, or not at all. I see a fair deal as 1.5 x 3

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks want to buy out a couple of years of Tryamkin's potential free agency, they're going to have to buck up for it.

I suppose the safer route is a one year deal, to see what you have. But the risk is that he walks at the end of next season.

Frankly, I think Tryamkin is worth the risk of a three year deal. Even it the guy merely grades out as depth d-man, it's a far better bet than signing the likes of Beagle, Roussel or even Myers to four and five year deals.

And the comparisons to Hamonic aren't really valid. Because of COVID and his desire to play only in Western Canada, he was willing to take a one year, team friendly deal.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Tryamkin should be more effective on smaller ice where it's much harder to evade being squished along the boards. Worth gambling on considering the state of our D..

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I couldn't even venture a guess..He was making $4.8M with the Flames last season, and this season was a one year, 'one off' discount..He is looking like a solid addition to play alongside Hughes..So.I 'm not convinced that we're going to get him for 3rd pairing type $.

Hamonic's salary last season was $4.8M but his cap hit / AAV was $3.8M. If he's only looking at Wpg, Edm or Vcr that will also somewhat suppress his market, too. Over 30, didn't have a good final season in Cgy and although he's been okay since returning from the injury I think the general tendency has been to overrate the market for the defencemen that have been here. People were talking about $3M AAV in UFA for guys like Hutton and Stecher; they couldn't even get $2M.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Frankly, I think Tryamkin is worth the risk of a three year deal. Even it the guy merely grades out as depth d-man, it's a far better bet than signing the likes of Beagle, Roussel or even Myers to four and five year deals.

I don't see any reason to go beyond two years on a Tryamkin deal.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
If the Canucks want to buy out a couple of years of Tryamkin's potential free agency, they're going to have to buck up for it.

I suppose the safer route is a one year deal, to see what you have. But the risk is that he walks at the end of next season.

And the comparisons to Hamonic aren't really valid. Because of COVID and his desire to play only in Western Canada, he was willing to take a one year, team friendly deal.

That's the thing: Even if Tryamkin turns out to be a fringe bottom-pairing defenceman this time around, $1.5 million is just slightly above the going rate for fringe bottom-pairing defencemen. And there's a considerable chance he ends up being more than that.

If he signs for more than $1.5 though it would be another instance of Benning not using his leverage in negotiations. The Canucks have to give Tryamkin some incentive to uproot himself from Russia, but there's no way Tryamkin would make more than half of that if he resigned in the KHL.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I would wait like Button said. Lots could happen on the D front.

For all the size and strength of Tryamkin his numbers in the KHL dont jump off the page like a dominant player. For all we know Eriksson could decide he's had enough after July 1st and then that changes everything.

Give him a show me deal and deal with it after 21/22 concludes. He wants to come back but the landscape has changed and he needs to prove himself and we own his rights.

It's a risk but one i would take. We need a legit top 3/4 not more in between guys. And i want him back just wouldn't be prioritizing it

I am kind of torn. I really don't want this regime to have control after these key contracts come off the books. It will just be the same thing all over again.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hamonic's salary last season was $4.8M but his cap hit / AAV was $3.8M. If he's only looking at Wpg, Edm or Vcr that will also somewhat suppress his market, too. Over 30, didn't have a good final season in Cgy and although he's been okay since returning from the injury I think the general tendency has been to overrate the market for the defencemen that have been here. People were talking about $3M AAV in UFA for guys like Hutton and Stecher; they couldn't even get $2M.
So, what do you think for Hamonic $2.7M x 3...?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Tryamkin should be more effective on smaller ice where it's much harder to evade being squished along the boards. Worth gambling on considering the state of our D..

I am hopeful that you are right. If you watch more recent videos of Tryamkin he plays a pretty tough, grinding, man-to-man style. I think his rink is the intermediate Finnish size at the moment, but that kind of board-work is only helped by shrinking the width of the rink another few feet.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I still think he's going to get around $2M. At least. And I think we are going figure it's a steal compared to what he's going to cost when he hits UFA.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Front-loaded contracts now cannot change in salary by more than 25% in adjacent seasons and the lowest annual compensation has to be at least 60% of the highest year's.

Thanks for clarifying.

Year 1: 3mil
Year 2: 2.25mil
Year 3: 1.8mil

Cap Hit: 2.35mil

I'd prefer to do something like that with him, in all honesty. It gives Tryamkin incentive to sign for a few years as the contract is front loaded, if it doesn't work out after 2 years he takes his 5.25mil and goes back to Russia. For the Canucks it keeps his cap hit at that of a bottom pairing guy for 3 years, and if he's no good, we can bury him with minimal cap hit with him likely returning to Russia for year 3.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So, what do you think for Hamonic $2.7M x 3...?

No thanks. Hamonic doesn't move the needle for me and he'll want an NTC. He's a good guy to have on the 3rd pairing but you know our head coach is going to give him 2nd pairing minutes.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
No thanks. Hamonic doesn't move the needle for me and he'll want an NTC. He's a good guy to have on the 3rd pairing but you know our head coach is going to give him 2nd pairing minutes.

WE have so much tied up in Schmidt and Meyers we need to be very careful. For what they bring to the table, I would say a intelligent salary would be $3.75M For Meyers and $4.25M for Schmidt. Harmonic probably worth about $2.25 M, but bring a major discount for a NMC.

With that said, I would tie up Tryamkin for 5 years if he takes anything $1.5 M or under. Which I doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad