Value of: Niemi and Lehtonen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lupul will likely end up LTIR....and Enroth can be signed much cheaper. Hell, i would rather buy out Lupul and sign Enroth.

I don't think Enroth is getting singed that's the thing. That Rumor is almost a week old and if it's Lupul for Niemi we would clear a little bit of space.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Either, likley Neimi, in a deal for MAF. Niemi + Nuke for MAF + ...pick?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
They would cost too much to get off the books I think. I assume we go into this year with both and deal woth them next year when they have 1 year left

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Either, likley Neimi, in a deal for MAF. Niemi + Nuke for MAF + ...pick?

Lehtonen would have to go back if Pittsburgh wants something with decent value for MAF . Not taking the risk with Lehtonen and MAF ( adds a year and 1.25$ Million Caphit compared to Niemi ) and add value to that.

Last edited:

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Why would the Stars want Bishop? With his injury history he's no more of a sure thing than Lehtonen is.

Or MAF? Holy hell these suggestions are laughable. Talk about replacing a turd with a turd.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Why would the Stars want Bishop? With his injury history he's no more of a sure thing than Lehtonen is.

Or MAF? Holy hell these suggestions are laughable. Talk about replacing a turd with a turd.

Bishop is a turd? Well...i guess i learned something today....

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No they don't. Rangers aren't taking two goalies.

Easier to get rid of two 2 year contracts than the contracts of Staal and especially Girardi . Those two contracts would make it basically impossible to re-sign Seguin in two years .

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
But if they trade salary for salary (take Lupul) how do they pay Bishop or MAF?

Edit: and why do we want a 5 million dollar backup? We just gave a 4.1 million dollar one away.

The stars would LTIR Lupul and we would expose Niemi or Kari next year at the expansion draft and look to sign a more perms meant backup in free agency Thomas Griess would be my choice.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Easier to get rid of two 2 year contracts than the contracts of Staal and especially Girardi . Those two contracts would make it basically impossible to re-sign Seguin in two years .

Doesn't change the fact that it would give the Rangers 4 goalies.....

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Doesn't change the fact that it would give the Rangers 4 goalies.....

And the Stars 9 defenseman with NHL contracts + Lindell who the Stars want with the big team this year and leave them without any goaltender with NHL experience . Hell the only goalies left would be 2 guys with half a AHL season under their belt.

Just a dumb idea all around.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Am I just being a homer here or could it be that it really isn't their fault that Stars didn't go further? A guy like Bishop could definitely help the Stars but is the defence good enough. Stars gave up the most goals by the teams that made the playoffs and I really don't think the problem is between the pipes.

But whatever :laugh:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Wow. I'm not super on board with paying a ton for a goalie because I don't think our system is pure favorable to goalies and the poor ices being throw our there are steep but good god are you off.

MAF/Bishop would be a monumental upgrade in net for us

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Am I just being a homer here or could it be that it really isn't their fault that Stars didn't go further? A guy like Bishop could definitely help the Stars but is the defence good enough. Stars gave up the most goals by the teams that made the playoffs and I really don't think the problem is between the pipes.

But whatever :laugh:

While our style of play doesn't help, the goalies were still awful. They hurt us in the playoffs way way more than the D did.

Lehtonen, I think, still has his pre concussion self inside somewhere but it's hidden pretty deep and only makes a cameo every 5 games or so. He showed in game 6 against STL and absolutely save us but then game 7 he missed a wrist shot from the point that was barely screened.

When Kari and Niemi go through bad stretches is near impossible to outscore their problems

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
As a Stars fan, understand the TB side. However, they might lose a goalie for nothing after next year. Maybe the deal gets made mid year, but still makes some sense for both sides. I think they will do it, but there is the typical disparity of value seen.

For an extra year of Stars true Cup contention (which I think they would be among favorites with Bishop) I can see giving up a first. I can see giving up a prospect. TB needs futures rather than immediate salary.

Maybe a Nemeth and more will go back if not the first. Not sure if TB needs any more D, they are pretty strong. I know Nill won't part with Honka, but Guriyanov, Dickenson, Shore, even Nuke or Lindell seem like they would be available.

A bit of an overpay from the Stars perspective, but at the TDL, they gave a lot for a mediocre Russell, so why not give a lot for the key piece in Bishop, and a full year to boot?

Consider that Tampa's chances at a Cup are also considerably higher with Bishop than without, so unless they're getting blown away they are going to be inclined to keep him. Vasy is their plan for the future, but Bishop is the better goalie right now, and the Bolts are good enough to win a Cup right now. Sure they lose him in a year, but is gaining a 1st or a prospect worth it to them to diminish their (very real) shot at a Cup this year? Not sure it is.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Consider that Tampa's chances at a Cup are also considerably higher with Bishop than without, so unless they're getting blown away they are going to be inclined to keep him. Vasy is their plan for the future, but Bishop is the better goalie right now, and the Bolts are good enough to win a Cup right now. Sure they lose him in a year, but is gaining a 1st or a prospect worth it to them to diminish their (very real) shot at a Cup this year? Not sure it is.

Bingo! I've always maintained that the Lightning trading Bishop is unlikely. This will be their last season before losing a lot of their depth to the salary cap and Bishop gives them their best chance of winning the Cup; the only reason they would even consider moving him is if the return would make them a significantly better team for several years to come. Honka could potentially do that as a currently inexpensive, puck-moving, potential power play QB RHD - something that would fill a number of key needs going forward. A deal that opens up a substantial amount of cap space and thereby allows them to keep a key player on their roster who they would otherwise lose would also qualify. But a pick and a non-Honka prospect is the sort of thing a team like the Lightning would happily give up to get a guy like Bishop as a rental; with him already on their roster it's an easy pass for them when it comes to trading him for such a return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad