Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Honestly this kid has the potential to become a 80+ 2 way center in the NHL, he's gonna be a beast when he gains more experience (and honestly i see him becoming a 1C in maybe 2 years). Sooo smart & talented.. he's a catalyst type player. To me he's easily the most untouchable player on our roster/pool.

I wish KK was a lock to be a 1C stud like Suzuki is. That's the problem with our drafting/developing we rarely have "no brainer" stud prospects. Everything has to be a struggle or a guessing game, why can't you just make it easy on us once in a while?

Hockey IQ trumps everything. Just look at Danault, he carved a career out of having exceptional hockey IQ and decent skill level (he's a puck possession player which translates well in today's game). Even if you have high IQ and a low~decent amount of skill you can become a versatile NHL'er for a very long time (Thompson). Add skill to the equation and you have an exceptional player, that's what Suzuki is. He's in the same mold as guys like Bergeron/Stone etc.
I can't like your post so I'll respond with I couldn't agree more

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I think we're going to look back in a few years on posts like this and snicker.

That isn't a knock in any way on kk, but it's clear as day that Suzuki has all the upside potential in the world.
Yeap!

Suzuki's a couple of years older. And quite frankly I thought KK looked great last year. I don't think there should be snickering even if Suzuki produces and KK busts. I still think KK has a lot of upside.

And his comments show that he really doesn't think a whole lot of CJ. Still feel like his coach has been an idiot with him.

Suzuki: Aug 10, 1999
KK: July 6 2000.

It's 11 months.

I'd like to go with Suzuki, Domi, Danault next year. And hopefully we'll have 6 good, skilled wingers, so each has two good linemates to play with (Tatar, Gallagher, Kovalchuk, Armia, Drouin, ?).

Let KK marinate in Laval until 2021-2022. Him reaching his potential is too important. Let him over develop.
Yes!

The more I watch, the more I see it. I wrote this about him early last year when he was still playing for OS Attack:

"Stylistically, Datsyuk. They play an eerily similar game. The way Suzuki can cut through defense with his hands (and edges), pick players pockets, interecept passes is Datsyuk like. Even their size and skating is similar. Not saying he's going to be the next Datsyuk but he certainly plays like him."
I was watching the English telecast last night and Johnson was oohing and aahing almost every time Suzuki touched the puck. I think you made a very astute comparison

So there's potentially 22 games left, and he has 34 points. Does anybody else think he has a decent chance to hit 50 points? What was the last Habs rookie (20 years and less) to hit 50 points?
26 games, not 22 and yes to your answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DangerDave

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Suzuki oozed class, confidence and control throughout last night's game.

On current form, he's at the top of the depth chart and making Domi very, very expendable

This team is not nearly talented enough to warrent any talented offensive player to be "very expendable".

Reactions: DangerDave

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I think Kotkaniemi has more upside than Suzuki
At the end of this season KK will be the same age as Suzuki was last year. Now look objectively at what KK has to work on (his balance, his speed, his edges, his erratic shot, puck handling, defensive play) and look at what Suzuki had to work on last year (improve his intensity and skating explosiveness).

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
what's truly incredible about this Suzuki stretch is that he's producing these point totals as a bottom 6 winger :huh:

32% of his points are on the PP. Hard to nail down where the other points are (2nd or 3rd line) cause he been bounced a bit

The one prospect I'm genuinely excited about. The more things go, the more I see 80pts C potential in him.

No doubt about it... he has a lot of tools and he knows how to use them. Key is how we surround him

Last edited by a moderator:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Suzuki is clearly on a upward trend as the season goes along... Look at Pts/Game, Ice Time, and how he moved up the rankings in production...

Oct 1 to Feb 7
wxxAdbC.jpg

Nov 12 to Feb 7
1tC2rF3.jpg

Dec 19 to Feb 7
VU62uV8.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So there's potentially 22 games left, and he has 34 points. Does anybody else think he has a decent chance to hit 50 points? What was the last Habs rookie (20 years and less) to hit 50 points?

If you use his pt/game production from Dec 19+ (0.86/game), he is projected to get 56 pts. Look at my latest post (Oct+, Nov 12+, Dec+). The kid is climbing upwards and getting better the more comfortable he is with NHL games

Check out post 217

Reactions: angusyoung

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I remember seeing him at training camp last year and I wasn't all that impressed. I remember seeing at the World Juniors last year and I wasn't impressed.

I am now very very impressed. What a confident, smart and talented young man. Some young players have talent but, between the ears, can't handle the ups and downs of the NHL grind. He certainly can.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
At the end of this season KK will be the same age as Suzuki was last year. Now look objectively at what KK has to work on (his balance, his speed, his edges, his erratic shot, defensive play) and look at what Suzuki had to work on last year (improve his intensity and skating explosiveness).

To be fair though, if Suzuki was playing in the NHL last year, maybe we would have thought he had a whole lot more to work on. Balance, speed, shot, etc. all looks a whole lot better when the game is going at a slower pace.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I remember seeing him at training camp last year and I wasn't all that impressed. I remember seeing at the World Juniors last year and I wasn't impressed.

I am now very very impressed. What a confident, smart and talented young man. Some young players have talent but, between the ears, can't handle the ups and downs of the NHL grind. He certainly can.
I wasnt inpress during main camp. But honestly. He wasnt use properly during world junior. He was playing on wing instead of center most of the time. On the second wave of the PP. he was better than many players, but i dont know why he playing less than his teammates

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Suzuki looks much better than KK last year

Yes, for sure! Just was talking about the up/down potential and sophomore year. I certainly am not as concerned with Suzuki this year as I was with Kotkaniemi last year. I value what KK can become but I was not on the "golden boy" bandwagon party last year. My opinion with KK has not changed from the reason why we drafted him... Long term prospect at center. I will be harder on him when he is in the 21-23 age range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad