Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yes, for sure! Just was talking about the up/down potential and sophomore year. I certainly am not as concerned with Suzuki this year as I was with Kotkaniemi last year. I value what KK can become but I was not on the "golden boy" bandwagon party last year. My opinion with KK has not changed from the reason why we drafted him... Long term prospect at center. I will be harder on him when he is in the 21-23 age range.
I don't mind the KK pick, I really like him. But I wish we didn't draft by need.

Suzuki/Domi/Danault/Poehling + Hughes looks a lot better than Suzuki/KK/Danault/Poehling + Domi on wing.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't mind the KK pick, I really like him. But I wish we didn't draft by need.

Suzuki/Domi/Danault/Poehling + Hughes looks a lot better than Suzuki/KK/Danault/Poehling + Domi on wing.

Yeah but a year later we were clearly after a LD but took Caufield. So I don't believe we are on the same page about BPA vs Need debate.

In hindsight, imagine if we knew Domi could play center, Suzuki would be acquired, and Danault would grow even more. Tkachuk would be unreal in the mix of what we have. However, when it matters the most... KK might leap frog Tkachuk when he is 21-23 age range. Suzuki, KK, Danault are certainly good pieces to have at center at the moment. Should be interesting to see how it unfolds. It's way to early today

You remember the question I asked that nobody answered? I asked this about KK (pre-draft)... Is there a previous example of a late draft stock riser like KK who busted? Like someone who was 20-31 to start the season, 10-20 in mid season, and then 5-10 before the draft. I don't recall anybody answering that question

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah but a year later we were clearly after a LD but took Caufield. So I don't believe we are on the same page about BPA vs Need debate.

In hindsight, imagine if we knew Domi could play center, Suzuki would be acquired, and Danault would grow even more. Tkachuk would be unreal in the mix of what we have. However, when it matters the most... KK might leap frog Tkachuk when he is 21-23 age range. Suzuki, KK, Danault are certainly good pieces to have at center at the moment. Should be interesting to see how it unfolds. It's way to early today

You remember the question I asked that nobody answered? I asked this about KK (pre-draft)... Is there a previous example of a late draft stock riser like KK who busted? Like someone who was 20-31 to start the season, 10-20 in mid season, and then 5-10 before the draft. I don't recall anybody answering that question
It was rumored that we were going to take Cam York. Also you can clearly see how the scouting staff constantly mentions that Caufield will help with the PP which was dreadful last year. We also drafted ALL dmen besides Pitlick after Caufield. Tell me how that's not drafting by need.

Obviously the Habs planned on Domi being a center since he didnt play wing at all in his first year with us. Bergevin said that the trade was in the making for months and that Vegas had the best package by far.

Dont really care about Tkachuk, but it f***ing hurts seeing Hughes dominating already.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Suzuki could run into a sophomore slump next year but it won't be as drastic as we're seeing with KK.

Their were times last year when Kotkaniemi was just trying to hold his head above the water because he was overmatched in both strength and speed. I don't see that at all with Nick in fact a lot of the time it's him who's out skating and out muscling the opponent. No real holes in his game at all.

Really excited to see him progress. It's the main reason I'm watching these days

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Honestly, there is no doubt this kid is special
His hockey IQ is unreal, so exciting to have this type of player for years to come!

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Where did he say that lol? They couldn't be more different. Danault is like a super grinder while Suzuki is pure skill. Both have good defensive awareness though
Oh he said it, very scary. Danault thinks he’s something special, he’s gonna want BIG money, I would get rid of him ASAP for a good return, let some other shmucks give him a big contract. 4.5 - 5 mil x 8 years or else SALUT BON SOIR , and he has to be told that he will end up on the 3rd line when Kotka is ready for 2C.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's pretty much sure to get 50 points this year.

Question is, can he get 60 ?

If he does, with his two way play, that would be pretty damn impressive.

I don't think he would hit 60, maybe around 55.

Did you believe this February 2019 (when he was 19) after he came back from a disappointing WJC?

yes, I had him ranked #1 prospect last year. Of course I was very wrong about Brook but I also took some heat over the summer for saying too many were overrating Poehling's offensive game due to his 1 game and the WJC's. But hopefully Brook figures it out next year and Poehling ends up better then I think, which is still a very solid 3rd liner to maybe a decent 2nd liner.

I still can't figure out KK's upside. He had a really really solid year for how young he was. I don't think he has Suzuki's raw upside but when he fills out he could be quite the handful. My money is on Suzuki being the better C. KK's got great tools just not really super flashy though. I think we're in a nice spot C wise regardless.

I would think Suzuki has the higher upside because he can do it all whereas while Kotka has a nice shot it's not in the same ball park as Suzuki who also has a ton of confidence going for him vs Kotka who clearly didn't. If Suzuki can end up around a ppg in his prime and Kotka around say 70 pts in his prime with Caufield being a 30-40 goal scorer, Primeau ends up being the real deal and we have several of our D prospects pan out, the future should look much better.

Thank god they got Suzuki! It’s sad to think they had to trade for a rookie that produces. They really have to get rid of Timmins.

There's no way Timmins was consulted on trading for a 19 year old 1st round pick that was a teammate of one of our prospects so we know he saw a good bit of him while watching McNiven. That said I think it's very easy, get a new president that has lots of NHL experience, hire a new GM and then let him decide what he wants to do from there. Clean house, sounds good, keep some people you want then we'll just have to hope he keeps the right people.

But I will be pissed if they fire Timmins and keep MB, Julien and Molson as president, although I would be happy for him as I would bet everything I own he would get hired by another team and hopefully for him that team doesn't believe in rushing every top prospect to the NHL, doesn't believe in trading up, doesn't have a clue on how to develop talent, doesn't know how to access coaches properly and sticks to plan for several years instead of flip flopping.

It was rumored that we were going to take Cam York

I thought I heard it was between Caufield and Krebs, so while I believe they were going to take York since they didn't think Caufield would be there, perhaps they still would have had to fight over York or Krebs had say the flyers just taken Caufield.

Reactions: DangerDave

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Suzuki is on a level that Danault can’t even comprehend, and the other day Danault compared himself and Suzuki as similar players... scary.

upload_2020-2-7_16-45-40.jpeg

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I dont know how you can put him back at wing.

With CJ, you never know. He made it a point to tell reporters he thought Suzuki had some some struggles lately, according to him. The moment Suzuki strings a couple of weaker games, he's going to get the young player treatment.

Meanwhile, Thompson will go 20 games without a point and CJs eyes will brighten when he'll talk about him.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011

With regards to your question one name come to mind from recent drafts almost immediately.

Samuel Morin - 2013 (1/13) by Philadelphia

Was a projected 2nd round pick for most of the year then started to rise late. Scouts loved his size and thought he had some untapped offensive upside. Some people even compared him to Chara at the time if he continued to refine his game. Since then he’s played 9 NHL games with 0 points and 170 games in the AHL. Now he didn’t end up going quite as high as KK did but still an example of someone who wasn’t projected to go high but rose quickly.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Lol exactly

We all understand, that you don't like Danault. Great success. Now can we carry on beyond saying suzuki is better than Danault? Because Danault is a good hockey player, and a good player to have on your team, and a good player to play up and down your line up, from fourth line and yes all the way up to first line if nessecary (and yes its been nessecary) I'm really happy to have Danault, and should we trade him, I can't wait for it to be like Lars eller, kind of you don't know what you got till it's gone type thing. Because we trade Danault and I guarantee we are begging for a tradesman center like him soon after.

Suzuki is better than alot of players on our team, probably our best center, doesn't make the rest trash.

Reactions: Chippy11

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
We all understand, that you don't like Danault. Great success. Now can we carry on beyond saying suzuki is better than Danault? Because Danault is a good hockey player, and a good player to have on your team, and a good player to play up and down your line up, from fourth line and yes all the way up to first line if nessecary (and yes its been nessecary) I'm really happy to have Danault, and should we trade him, I can't wait for it to be like Lars eller, kind of you don't know what you got till it's gone type thing. Because we trade Danault and I guarantee we are begging for a tradesman center like him soon after.

Suzuki is better than alot of players on our team, probably our best center, doesn't make the rest trash.
I really like Danault but I want him in his proper slot when Kotkaniemi is ready for 2C. This is why we can’t pay Danault over 4.5 - 5 mil. But I know that he will expect much more, and if that’s the case then bye bye. But let’s see how badly Bergevin will screw all of this up, he loves giving overpriced contracts to the wrong players. At least now some of the posters here are seeing what real top 6 talent is with Suzuki.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
So there's potentially 22 games left, and he has 34 points. Does anybody else think he has a decent chance to hit 50 points? What was the last Habs rookie (20 years and less) to hit 50 points?

26 games.

I think he's good enough to get 16 points. I'm predicting he hits 50 in the final three games.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I really like Danault
Lol which is why you shit on him for your past hundreds of posts. We have had nothing to spend on cap space for how long now? IF we get competent center depth(Suzuki alone isn't enough) then you can move Danault to the wing OR trade him. That's a future "problem" though.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Lol which is why you **** on him for your past hundreds of posts. We have had nothing to spend on cap space for how long now? IF we get competent center depth(Suzuki alone isn't enough) then you can move Danault to the wing OR trade him. That's a future "problem" though.
No you can never move Danault to the wing, he’s a centerman it doesn’t work like that. We don’t have to trade him, we just can’t over pay him, he needs to come back down to earth at some point and be told that he won’t be a top 6 center on this team for too much longer. Once Kotka is ready for the NHL you can’t play him on the 3C long term. Danault 4.5 - 5 mil x 8 years at the 3C position and I’ll be extremely happy.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I really like Danault but I want him in his proper slot when Kotkaniemi is ready for 2C. This is why we can’t pay Danault over 4.5 - 5 mil. But I know that he will expect much more, and if that’s the case then bye bye. But let’s see how badly Bergevin will screw all of this up, he loves giving overpriced contracts to the wrong players. At least now some of the posters here are seeing what real top 6 talent is with Suzuki.

I don't know you're age. And I don't want to have a petty argument.

But to say you're happy with some of the posters here seeing what a real top six talent is because of suzuki is pretty ignorant. On a few levels. One because most of us, have seen it, on this team, believe it or not! Two we have more "real top six" talent than just suzuki. So maybe, respectfully, you can look around and educate yourself on what a top six looks like around the league. Now, have we been lacking a bona-fide number one center for a long time, I wouldn't argue that. But I would argue that we don't know suzuki is that yet either, but wow has he been looking good.

I would even grant you that we've been missing elite top six talent since Kovalev. But we do have actual top six talent. It's not suzuki and the barrie colts out there you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad