Value of: Nick Robertson to a non-contending team willing to move a top 4D

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm sticking my neck out on this one, but it no longer makes sense that TOR is keeping Robertson out of the line up. I think he's only in and out for the purposes of being showcased.

Dubas has to improve the defense of this team is serious about contending. It really looks like Muzzin might be done. I felt like Kyle's UFA signings of Benn and Mete were a stop gap for a proper defensman who can play in the top 4.

Robertson might be their best trade chip at the moment. Can he fetch a top 4D alone? I'm not sure. Kyle can add on if he feels the urgency to replace Muzzin.

Does your non-contending team have a #3-4 D-man with a bit of term?

What's Robertson worth to you?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I guess he could get an aging D man, who once was a top four guy? Maybe a guy who, like Gio, is playing out his career on a cheap contract?

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
He doesn't get a top 4 D. Top 4 D are very valuable right now, look how much Arizona is asking for Chychrun. He would have to be included in a package. He's still a prospect, it's not a given that he becomes a good NHL player.

Reactions: Glorydays22 and bsu

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He could get a UFA top 4, maybe. He's not bringing back a top 4, younger/signed Dman right now. I think there's a lot of teams that would take a shot on him, but not the contending ones willing to part with a top 4, and not the rebuilding ones who have there young top 4 locked. So it would take a bit of an add on to get that established top 4, with term.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
:facepalm: how many of you saying he doesn't fetch a top 4 D have actually seen him play ?
Ah the old "you disagree with me, therefore you haven't seen him play" argument.

Plenty of people have seen him play in the few games where he wasn't scratched. A middling bottom 6 player who can't crack the lineup on a team with depth issues doesn't get you a top 4 D.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Ah the old "you disagree with me, therefore you haven't seen him play" argument.

Plenty of people have seen him play in the few games where he wasn't scratched. A middling bottom 6 player who can't crack the lineup on a team with depth issues doesn't get you a top 4 D.
It's pretty obvious you haven't seen him play if you think he won't fetch a top 4 D.

You probably think Shane Wright can't fetch a top 4 D because he was scratched too am I right ? Or does that logic only apply to Robertson ?

He's a winger who hasn't been able to establish himself at the NHL level 3 years after being drafted.

In what f***ing world does that type of player fetch a legit Top 4D... The far more valuable position.
In a world where if you watched him you'd know the reason he's been in the AHL and not NHL is back to back major injuries, not a lack of skill/effort/talent

And even this year he absolutely should be in the lineup, Keefe is just making a dumbass decision by keeping him out. Same way he makes the same dumbass decision to play Justin Holl over and over again

I have, he doesn’t bring back a top 4. Not really close. If he was good enough to he’d be in the lineup.
Shane Wright confirmed bust, if he was good enough he wouldn't have been scratched ! :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Barnaby

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He doesn't get a top 4 D. Top 4 D are very valuable right now, look how much Arizona is asking for Chychrun. He would have to be included in a package. He's still a prospect, it's not a given that he becomes a good NHL player.

Chychrun is a #2D

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
It's pretty obvious you haven't seen him play if you think he won't fetch a top 4 D.

You probably think Shane Wright can't fetch a top 4 D because he was scratched too am I right ? Or does that logic only apply to Robertson ?

In a world where if you watched him you'd know the reason he's been in the AHL and not NHL is back to back major injuries, not a lack of skill/effort/talent

And even this year he absolutely should be in the lineup, Keefe is just making a dumbass decision by keeping him out. Same way he makes the same dumbass decision to play Justin Holl over and over again

Shane Wright confirmed bust, if he was good enough he wouldn't have been scratched ! :sarcasm:
What a horrendous counter argument. Wright was drafted a few months ago and has nothing to do with Robertson, who was drafted three years ago. Straw man arguments will get you nowhere. I didn't say he's a bad player, I said he doesn't get you a top 4 defenseman, which he won't.

And I have seen him play, so have others, stop using that it just makes you sound desperate.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
:facepalm: how many of you saying he doesn't fetch a top 4 D have actually seen him play ?
I'm generally pro-Leafs, and I watch them play a lot as a Matthews fan in particular (and my local teams are RSN blackouts). Robertson hasn't shown enough in the NHL to land a top four defenseman. With his skating and size, he needs to really pop with his offense, and he just hasn't done that consistently.

I think a piece of equal value would need to be added if you're looking for someone to replace what a healthy Muzzin could bring. I mean, look at the trade that brought Muzzin in. On a one-on-one level, I'm valuing Durzi and the 1st rounder in the early 20s each separately over Robertson. He's above Grundstrom in value, but Grundstrom has also played pretty damn well in the playoffs and shown he can be the perfect 3rd or 4th line winger with physicality and some scoring. It's likely going to be Robertson + 1st round pick top a legitimate #2-4 defenseman.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I never proposed Robertson alone.

The problem is people see "top 4" and they automatically think top 2 or number 1. I'm not asking for that.
You asked "can he fetch a top 4 alone? I'm not sure. Kyle can add on..." Nobody is thinking top 2 or 1 or the thread would have been closed already. They answered the question about fetching a top 4. Obviously an add-on changes that but nobody knows what the add-on is. If you want term, the add-on is probably greater than what you value Robertson right now. If you want just a top 4, that's different.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Chiarot got a 1st + last TDL and is a №4-5-6 in most NHL team.

Now... Why would a team trade a top4 D for less value than what the Habs got for Chiarot? Cause a 1st has a lot more value than a small forward who can't crack a roster in his 3rd pro season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad