TSN: Nick Robertson requests trade from Toronto

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Yeah I dunno what he's thinking here. he should be excited that he finally has a strong chance to play in the top 6, and a fresh start with a new coach.
I wonder about this too. It doesn't really seem to make sense, the timing of this.

A few things...

I believe it is "rumoured" that he has asked for a trade, I don't know if it is even verified that he has. So, this could just be more Toronto amplified off-season drama and click-bait.

If he or is agent have let the Leafs know of his unhappiness, could they believe this helps him get a chance to show his stuff? I do hear more of "let's see what he can do then" and "let's give him more of chance and at least that could raise his trade value" from the fanbase, of course that's the fanbase and not management saying anything.

The thing is, he is an RFA on a cap strapped team, and he has to clear waivers. I am not sure what he can accomplish by this. He will get a QO and he will get a shot. If he performs he will get a chance, if not be js waived or traded anyway.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
There could be other factors in why he doesn’t want to play here. He’s an American citizen from California. Maybe he wants to be traded to a California based team like Trevor Moore.

He’s got no leverage because his only other option is playing in Europe for less than league minimum. If he doesn’t sign by December 1st he’s ineligible to play in the NHL this year. Obviously he’s getting bad advice from his agent.
He spent the majority of his teens in Ontario, 8 years total spending time in Ontario in some way for youth, junior and pro. He grew up in Michigan after being in California until he was 8, I mean would it be wrong for him to maybe want to play for his fav team growing up - LA Kings? Likely not. But saying he doesn't want to play in Ontario is weird. These narratives are comical.

The lad spent most of his informative years in Ontario. Basically since he was 14 to now, at 22.

If he stays he probably would win a spot on the roster and in the top 6 potentially, but the fact that his production would also back that up, the mere fact he still wants out is possibly about something else with the team and he doesn't see himself being there long term. Better to find out now.

Reactions: francis246

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I wonder about this too. It doesn't really seem to make sense, the timing of this.

A few things...

I believe it is "rumoured" that he has asked for a trade, I don't know if it is even verified that he has. So, this could just be more Toronto amplified off-season drama and click-bait.

If he or is agent have let the Leafs know of his unhappiness, could they believe this helps him get a chance to show his stuff? I do hear more of "let's see what he can do then" and "let's give him more of chance and at least that could raise his trade value" from the fanbase, of course that's the fanbase and not management saying anything.

The thing is, he is an RFA on a cap strapped team, and he has to clear waivers. I am not sure what he can accomplish by this. He will get a QO and he will get a shot. If he performs he will get a chance, if not be js waived or traded anyway.
The leafs are under no obligation to trade him. They could retain his NHL rights until November 30th and force him to make a decision. Europe or NHL.

He spent the majority of his teens in Ontario, 8 years total spending time in Ontario in some way for youth, junior and pro. He grew up in Michigan after being in California until he was 8, I mean would it be wrong for him to maybe want to play for his fav team growing up - LA Kings? Likely not. But saying he doesn't want to play in Ontario is weird. These narratives are comical.

The lad spent most of his informative years in Ontario. Basically since he was 14 to now, at 22.

If he stays he probably would win a spot on the roster and in the top 6 potentially, but the fact that his production would also back that up, the mere fact he still wants out is possibly about something else with the team and he doesn't see himself being there long term. Better to find out now.

I understand what you’re saying here. I’m not suggesting his reasoning is anything other than his agent flexing.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Ironically, if he were traded to the Los Angeles Kings he would spend the bulk of his season playing for ... The Ontario Reign.

Reactions: Altimus

Nstar to Wild

Oct 13, 2022
Minnesota
I may be wrong (like usual), but always seemed like a player not good enough to be in the top six but to small for the bottom six. He's kind of stuck in no man's land.

Reactions: Altimus

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
What about a Robertson for….

McMichael?
McGraoarty?
Sillinger?
Torpochenko

Robertson +
For
Voronkov

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I think Robertson and his team( agents,family, etc) relized that with the Domi resigning he is efeectively blocked from the minutes that would actually advance his career. L\Domi, McMann and Knies effectively block him from top 9 minutes and 2PP minutes, Even if Domi is moved to center that means Holberg is moved to the left side as his defense is needed in the top nine. Add in Cowen most likely being kept on the team that leaves him as the 14th forward on the team as he cannot play center or is a PK forward. Leafs only have to offer him his QO offer and nothing more. He has no leverage. He certainly has the skill to be a be a a top nine forard in the NHL but he does not have the skill set to fit the Leafs. Add in the the possibility that there are multiple players lower in the depth chart that can fill in as bottom 6 wingers and it makes sense that he wants to move on. His abilty to score would make him a lock to make 10 to 15 teams in the NHL. He is a NHL talent just onthe wrong team. He will eventually be move at some point this season for an asset that bette fits the Leafs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

A few things...

Chris Johnston verified it on the Steve Dangle Podcast, and CJ is legitimate

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Chris Johnston verified it on the Steve Dangle Podcast, and CJ is legitimate
Yeah, those guys are credible.

We still lack some context. Was it a demand or a request? Was it a if I don't get more ice time I want out? Was it a context negotiation tactic for a guy with limited leverage?

An all out trade demand still doesn't make sense as the tactic to take here. His value is not high and he knows it, or should know it.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Really? A young top 6 center for a guy who could barely crack bottom 6 as a wing?
I’d argue that they are both are suited for the middle six roles (2nd/3rd line)
Centres are important for sure, but he (McMichael) doesn’t have the scoring ability of a Robertson.
I just thought with Washington locking down their top 2 centres (Strome and Dubois) that they might want some help on the wings.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I’d argue that they are both are suited for the middle six roles (2nd/3rd line)
Centres are important for sure, but he (McMichael) doesn’t have the scoring ability of a Robertson.
I just thought with Washington locking down their top 2 centres (Strome and Dubois) that they might want some help on the wings.
I will admit I totally forgot about Dubois. I have to think they move him to wing so he has less responsibility + CMM was not good on the wing.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I will admit I totally forgot about Dubois. I have to think they move him to wing so he has less responsibility + CMM was not good on the wing.
I mean +’s could be added on both sides to make it more palatable for both teams….

Just trying to find a good fit for everyone.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad