TSN: Nick Robertson requests trade from Toronto

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
If he is good enough, play him. Give him games now and stop wasting valuable cap space on more Dmen. The teams that have won the cup recently have been willing to take chances (Vegas and Florida both did with picks and players). Stop thinking about 2025 and try to win before your stars are on the downhill part of their careers.
But that's development, isn't it?

I think you have to graduate players according to readiness. Detroit has always done a masterful job at this.

Unfortunately, our fishbowl demands everything at once: Develop the kids but play them now; Don't rush them but get them in so our stars are buoyed by them.

You can't stop thinking about a year ahead. That's actually where we need to have some dexterity in our thinking as an organization:

How else have we haphazardly placed ourselves in asset management hell if not having squandered picks precisely because we haven't kept one eye on the near future?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Could the Penguins help out the Leafs a bit with some cap space?

Something like Robertson+Jarnkrok for a later pick + a NHL/AHL guy like Bemstrom?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Could the Penguins help out the Leafs a bit with some cap space?

Something like Robertson+Jarnkrok for a later pick + a NHL/AHL guy like Bemstrom?

Jarnkrok has scored at a 40 point pace in Toronto and makes $2.1M, he's not a cap dump. The Leafs need more NHL forwards, not less. That offer sucks.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Jarnkrok has scored at a 40 point pace in Toronto and makes $2.1M, he's not a cap dump. That offer sucks.
He's constantly inserted into armchair GM builds as a way to clear space. Figured he'd be the redundant guy to go. Kampf makes more sense but that's a different ballpark of payment to take.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
he deserves a chance somewhere else. He's a decent player, not sure why we never really gave him a chance.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
How about a 2027 2nd and a 2025 5th? We just so happen to have an extra of each of those.

I think it gets it done and honestly it's terrible but Toronto but Robertson hasn't proven shit yet (just looks like he can do it). I think he can do it and be a 30-40 goal guy in his peak

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
trade them for what. The Leafs don't have cap space. A late draft pick I guess? I doubt many teams are going to be excited about the prospect of acquiring Hirvonen, who isn't even top 10 in the Leafs relatively unimpressive prospect pool.

Look at the 2021 draft. Matthew Knies is already an established player while many around him are not. That's kind of how 2nd round picks go, you will hit some years and miss on others. And it's not a videogame where teams are going to care enough about your disappointing prospects to cough up value.

Niemela may get games this year when there are injuries but no team trying to win a Cup is going to gift him a lineup spot with what he's shown so far.

I think the "point" with Robertson is that he's been obviously "ready" to take a spot in an NHL lineup since probably 2021-22; but continues to get bounced around, and that's not good for his development.

This isn't a defenceman from Europe who will almsot always take several years to develop. This is a guy that has been playing "professionaly scheduled" hockey since he was 16.

Topi Niemla is another good example here. Drafted in 2020 forsure keep him in Europe the following year. Wins best defenceman at the World Juniors that year, and was seemingly hurt so didn't get a lot of action thereafter... so keep him another year in Finland sure.

He goes on to play 48 games, put up 32 points,... why exactly aren't we bringing him over after that?!? It's one thing to be patient, it's another to utilize prime development years.

Teams with cup aspirations developing defencemen is hard. There's only 6 spots in the lineup, and you've gotta play upwards of 16 minutes a night... which puts you into a challenge with Niemla.

Now you're into a challenge with Niemla. He's just had a really good year with the Marlies. He should be getting NHL games, but the team has 10 defencemen under contract that likely slot above him; and that's in a year where you are fairly cap-crunched. Next year you're not likely to be cap-crunched... when is Niemla realistically going to get in the lineup?

Bringing this back to Robertson...the guy has shown he can play, but he's a piss-poor fit on a Leafs team that has 2 superstar, but soft, wingers. They take all of the opportunitties that he needs for his game to grow.

So yeah, be a hardass and decline his trade request.... his value isn't going to increase by him playing 12 minutes a night, nor is he ever really going to fit on a line that has Mitch Marner or William Nylander on the other wing.

If the Leafs were smart, they would have probably recognized that Robertson was going to have a tough time fitting in with those 2 a couple of years ago, and traded him when there was a ton of hype on him.

When it comes to drafting talent, yes, you want to take the Best player available... but when it comes time to actually developing them into an NHL player, you've gotta put some weight into thier fit on your team. It's why the Leafs were "right" to consider Matthew Knies untouchable.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Small disgruntled winger he ain't worth much more

22 year old who was scoring at a 20 goal pace with 10 minutes of night of ice time and basically no PP time.

Leafs don't have to move him. In fact, I think it is highly unlikely they do. They would lose any trade they made because he is unproven. But make no mistake there is a player there.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
His profile is similar to Alex Newhook.

I can see him get 40-50 points in the right environment.

I don't see the comparison at all. Newhook has been a full-time NHLer for the last three seasons, has outstanding speed, is very creative with the puck and has a very high hockey IQ.

His skating ability makes him adept at zone entries and it's also a huge attribute when he plays without the puck, getting into pass lanes and getting back in transition. He also uses excellent acceleration to chase down loose pucks and on the forecheck to great effect.

Like Robertson, he much better on the rush rather than a cycle game, and, like Robertson, that is in large part due to a lack of physicality. I would say Robertson's shot is better than Newhook's, but in every other capacity, I think Newhook is a better player.

Personally, I think Robertson is a tweener and I'm not really sold on him as a full-time NHLer. I don't think he's going to come back to bite the Leafs in the ass if they move on from him now.

Often players ask for a trade when they aren't getting a fair shake from their organization and they're better off just going elsewhere. I don't think that's the case here. Robertson didn't deserve any more ice time than he was given and I'm curious if he had a conversation with Berube before he asked to be traded.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
His profile is similar to Alex Newhook.

I can see him get 40-50 points in the right environment.

They are nothing alike as Newhook is a burner and Robertson's biggest issue besides his size is his skating. You won't see Hughes offering a 1st and 2nd for Robertson, that is for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: FerrisRox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad