Proposal: Nick Paul to the Pens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
LOL ... a bit much for a UFA who is a bottom six guy? Stop this. He ain't worth that.

What did Foligno and Janmark return last year? Were they not bottom 6ers?

Nick Paul is huge, strong, skates extremely well, is an excellent shutdown/match-up player, great on the cycle, and provides secondary offence. It will take at least a 2nd and a prospect for him.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Hard to imagine this happening. Burke and Hextall want to get bigger and tougher to play against and they have already said they dont plan on spending their assets (what little the pens have left). Did anyone else see Paul get laid out by Tom Wilson in that fight? Plus whenever Zucker and Blueger get back, there will be no place to plug him in. Pens would be wise to let another team try to over pay for a bottom 6 player especailly when we have so many. Work on finding a capable backup to jarry and i think they can ride it out as long as they stay healthy
What a contradiction.
“Yeah can’t see the Pens wanting Paul, we need guys that are big and tough to play against”
Paul is 6’3 225 and is the definition of difficult to play against….

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Are we talking bout the guy that got his ass whooped by Wilson a few games ago?

Reactions: Andy P

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
What did Foligno and Janmark return last year? Were they not bottom 6ers?

Nick Paul is huge, strong, skates extremely well, is an excellent shutdown/match-up player, great on the cycle, and provides secondary offence. It will take at least a 2nd and a prospect for him.

You can't bring up asking prices from last year. Totally different year and markets. Just because XXX player got a 2nd and a prospect last year at the TDL, a similar player gets the same if not more this year. Utterly ridiculous to think so. Big time ridiculous to think this is the case. Dude only has 15 points and really hasn't done much his entire career and people think he is worth a second and a prospect, or maybe a 1st with pending UFA coming. LOL. With your description, you are making him like the second coming. Nick Paul isn't the second coming. He is a kid that has turned into a good bottom six forward that hasn't come close to his prospect press clippings. This board is utterly ridiculous as far as a players value. Always has been.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
You can't bring up asking prices from last year. Totally different year and markets. Just because XXX player got a 2nd and a prospect last year at the TDL, a similar player gets the same if not more this year. Utterly ridiculous to think so. Big time ridiculous to think this is the case. Dude only has 15 points and really hasn't done much his entire career and people think he is worth a second and a prospect, or maybe a 1st with pending UFA coming. LOL. With your description, you are making him like the second coming. Nick Paul isn't the second coming. He is a kid that has turned into a good bottom six forward that hasn't come close to his prospect press clippings. This board is utterly ridiculous as far as a players value. Always has been.

Then go ahead and tell us what the market is, and why it's so different than last year.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
What a contradiction.
“Yeah can’t see the Pens wanting Paul, we need guys that are big and tough to play against”

Haha, yeah.
Those of us who like the idea of adding Paul do so for these reasons.

Btw. how does he work on his off-wing?

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Are we talking bout the guy that got his ass whooped by Wilson a few games ago?
You mean the guy that was willing to drop the gloves for his star teammate against the toughest guy in the league?
Yeah that guy is a p****

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Lol. You do not know the player you're talking about. Seems par for the course when it comes to Nick Paul.

Paul has been the Sens best player during many of our wins. He's matched up against the best players in the world and gotten the better of them. He is an elite 3rd liner, and players like that garner good returns at the deadline. He would vastly improve the bottom 6 of any team in the league. And you dismiss past comparables on the basis of.... he's not the second coming!!! No, you're right, we shouldn't go by previous markets... we should go just by what you think. I would happily give our 2nd, which should be 20+ spots above yours, for another Nick Paul. I can't expect the same from you, since you don't know the player at all.

The Sens won't trade Nick Paul for less than a 2nd +, unless his demands are absolutely ridiculous which I doubt they are. Most likely, he's re-signed and Sens fans are thrilled.
Then go ahead and tell us what the market is, and why it's so different than last year.
And, not to mention, literally every year prior...

- Goodrow + 3rd for 1st
- Pageau for 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- Hagelin for 3rd & 5th
- Brian Boyle for 2nd
- Plekanec for 2nd + prospects (when he was a 25pt scorer)
- Ryan Hartman for 1st +

The list goes on.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATdaisuki

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
Personally, I love Paul and hope he resigns.
First, second, third whatever. I’d rather a player like Paul on the team who is the right age, has a great skill set and is trending up. Rather than another shot in the dark that may pan out in 4 years. He is definitely an under the radar guy.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Pens need a depth forward like I need a hemorrhoid. We need to find an actual top 6 player for Geno.

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
What a contradiction.
Did you really just get butt hurt about that statement? The main point of that was to be tougher to play against and if he cant handle Tom Wilson then the pens need to look elsewhere.

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
Did you really just get butt hurt about that statement? The main point of that was to be tougher to play against and if he cant handle Tom Wilson then the pens need to look elsewhere.

Being able to fight and being tough to play against are not synonymous

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Also, gauging a player solely on his ability to play against one other player in the league is ridiculous. Nobody fights in the playoffs and the Pens may not even play them in the playoffs.

And also, they did not lose to the Caps because of Wilson.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Lol. You do not know the player you're talking about. Seems par for the course when it comes to Nick Paul.

Paul has been the Sens best player during many of our wins. He's matched up against the best players in the world and gotten the better of them. He is an elite 3rd liner, and players like that garner good returns at the deadline. He would vastly improve the bottom 6 of any team in the league. And you dismiss past comparables on the basis of.... he's not the second coming!!! No, you're right, we shouldn't go by previous markets... we should go just by what you think. I would happily give our 2nd, which should be 20+ spots above yours, for another Nick Paul. I can't expect the same from you, since you don't know the player at all.

The Sens won't trade Nick Paul for less than a 2nd +, unless his demands are absolutely ridiculous which I doubt they are. Most likely, he's re-signed and Sens fans are thrilled.

I liked him quite a bit in my viewings of him. Me personally I think he might look really good on a line with Malkin and Carter as a fast, heavy 3rd wheel to our 2nd line.

He's due a new deal and I think it depends on your owners willingness to pay him or will he go the route of picks/close to ready prospects.

I'm open to dealing Poulin, who's a former 1st round pick and in the AHL (should be close to NHL time). That's a cost controlled younger player for a UFA. Now if mgmt loves Paul and you guys get a deal done. That's great for the Sens.

Just saying I hope Hextall is in line if the Sens decide to go cheap and offer him up.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I liked him quite a bit in my viewings of him. Me personally I think he might look really good on a line with Malkin and Carter as a fast, heavy 3rd wheel to our 2nd line.

He's due a new deal and I think it depends on your owners willingness to pay him or will he go the route of picks/close to ready prospects.

I'm open to dealing Poulin, who's a former 1st round pick and in the AHL (should be close to NHL time). That's a cost controlled younger player for a UFA. Now if mgmt loves Paul and you guys get a deal done. That's great for the Sens.

Just saying I hope Hextall is in line if the Sens decide to go cheap and offer him up.

He can fill that role, but he's more valuable in a match-up role IMO. That said, if you just need someone to forecheck, retrieve pucks, cycle, and who isn't afraid of the front of the net, Paul can certainly be that guy.

I could see Poulin being the best offer, and wouldn't be upset with him as a return if Paul is dealt. Would still rather keep Paul but can also see him pricing himself out.

That said, apparently our first offer was 2m x 3yrs... I would happily offer him 2 more years and 500k more without batting an eye, or 1m more per year, and think management would, too. I think we will be able to get it done. If not, I think the priority will be getting the best individual piece possible in return, and Poulin would likely be very high on that list, if not at the top. I could be wrong but seem to remember he was discussed as a possibility at 19th overall for us that year, and a definite target for one of our 2nds if he fell.

How about Sanford for a 3rd?
We would be lucky to get a 3rd. Sanford is ok, but he's not going to come in and noticeably improve a team. Just depth who can hold his own. I would be happy for a 4th for Sanford, or even just a young-ish forward struggling to find a place + maybe a late pick.

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
Being able to fight and being tough to play against are not synonymous
I agree, but when the pens have to deal with Tom Wilson, Ryan Reaves, etc and this guy wasnt even close to knocking him out, thats a big red flag and tells me hes all size and no muscle

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I agree, but when the pens have to deal with Tom Wilson, Ryan Reaves, etc and this guy wasnt even close to knocking him out, thats a big red flag and tells me hes all size and no muscle

So you want an enforcer that will never see the ice in the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad