Proposal: Nick Paul to the Pens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
2nd + solid prospect at least or else I think he will be re-signed. I could see a top team offering their 1st + a B/C prospect. He is a difference-maker.

Reactions: NickHockey

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think at the price he’ll cost the Pens are better off adding a scoring line player. They have a ton of solid bottom 6ers.

Came here to post this. He's a fine player, but Pens have quite a few guys that play a similar game. They need someone to help Malkin offensively on line 2, not another depth forward.

NickHockey

Jan 3, 2016
I would do Samuel Poulin for Nick Paul and a 2nd round pick for him.

He might not give you the production in points you want but he is an all-rounded well player that is amazing on the PK as well gives his best every game. You put him on a line with Mark Stone, Hyman, Ryan O Riley etc.. anyone defensively forward he'll put up some good numbers.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Aim lower...they are not losing the little resources they have for blah upgrade they can't afford to keep past this year

Im okay with doing nothing.

I’m just saying that if theoretically you’re gonna trade the type of assets it’ll take to get Paul, I’d rather see them go towards someone for L2.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
2nd + solid prospect at least or else I think he will be re-signed. I could see a top team offering their 1st + a B/C prospect. He is a difference-maker.
That is a lot. If we get anything close to that I will be doing backflips.

If we get a 2nd I'll be happy, wouldn't be shocked at a 3rd+prospect.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
That is a lot. If we get anything close to that I will be doing backflips.

If we get a 2nd I'll be happy, wouldn't be shocked at a 3rd+prospect.

Sens won't trade Paul for a 3rd + prospect unless the prospect is better than the 3rd by a decent amount. The only reason he might not be re-signed is if we get value for him.

Janmark returned a 2nd + 3rd last year, Foligno returned a 1st + 4th, not saying Paul will get that much but he's at least as good as either guy. Doesn't carry term like Goodrow did but he is a similar player, at least at the time of the trade.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Sens won't trade Paul for a 3rd + prospect unless the prospect is better than the 3rd by a decent amount. The only reason he might not be re-signed is if we get value for him.

Janmark returned a 2nd + 3rd last year, Foligno returned a 1st + 4th, not saying Paul will get that much but he's at least as good as either guy.

Not so sure about that. We'll see.

The rumored offer we gave him was 3 x 2M and that was declined. I don't see them wanting to go much higher than that when we are on a budget and have important young pieces to re-sign this year and the next. If we get more than a 2nd I'll be happy, but that isn't my expectation.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Not so sure about that. We'll see.

The rumored offer we gave him was 3 x 2M and that was declined. I don't see them wanting to go much higher than that when we are on a budget and have important young pieces to re-sign this year and the next. If we get more than a 2nd I'll be happy, but that isn't my expectation.

I suspect we won't need to go much higher and won't have any issue doing so. I'd much rather buyout White and keep Paul than trade Paul for a 2nd and keep White.

Reactions: Prajna and guyzeur

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would do Samuel Poulin for Nick Paul and a 2nd round pick for him.

He might not give you the production in points you want but he is an all-rounded well player that is amazing on the PK as well gives his best every game. You put him on a line with Mark Stone, Hyman, Ryan O Riley etc.. anyone defensively forward he'll put up some good numbers.

Sorry. So Poulin for Paul and a 2nd?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think at the price he’ll cost the Pens are better off adding a scoring line player. They have a ton of solid bottom 6ers.
Came here to post this. He's a fine player, but Pens have quite a few guys that play a similar game. They need someone to help Malkin offensively on line 2, not another depth forward.

This and this.

Pens need someone to ride shotgun for Malkin in an offensive role. They've already got a bunch of defensively sound middle six guys.

Especially if the price is a 1st.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Ottawa is better of resigning him. He's done well for them and if Ottawa wants to sniff anything other than basement sludge for the next decade, they need to keep good players and build a team.

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
Hard to imagine this happening. Burke and Hextall want to get bigger and tougher to play against and they have already said they dont plan on spending their assets (what little the pens have left). Did anyone else see Paul get laid out by Tom Wilson in that fight? Plus whenever Zucker and Blueger get back, there will be no place to plug him in. Pens would be wise to let another team try to over pay for a bottom 6 player especailly when we have so many. Work on finding a capable backup to jarry and i think they can ride it out as long as they stay healthy

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
First option for the Sens has to be sign the man. BDN Paul is a fantastic bottom six forward. He has everything you want out of a third liner. Big, protects the puck well along the boards, good skater, hard shot, good puck control, makes really smart short passes, and is a fantastic penalty killer. He's primarily a winger but can fill in at center as well.

Hypothetically, if he were to be on the move, it doesn't sound like the fit is there for the Pens. Paul is a third line forward. A very good one. If you have a really solid bottom six already, you won't feel the need to pay a decent price for Paul as there are other teams that will likely covet a big bottom six'er to round out that part of their lineup more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad