Player Discussion Nick Jensen (D)

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Oh lol that's not the only ones declining around that age. Oduya used to be a pretty good skater too, actually comfortably better than Jensen. That didn't stop him from declining at 35 y/o. I mean, it's the NHL, it's usually the Lidstroms, Crosbys, Alfredssons who are still pretty damn good in their late 30's

Luckily, Jensen's term left is perfect for us, buys us a bit of time to develop Yakemchuk.
I don't see Oduya prime as a better skater. His skating style was more compact and busy whereas Jensen is heads up and fluid. If Oduya skated like Morgan Reilly, Jensen skates like Mark Giordano and to me one is more efficient than the other. That's obviously not a knock on Oduya's skating whatsoever, just different and I think you are selling Jensen short, his skating is very good, bordering on exceptional imo.

More importantly though the difference between the two is that Oduya was more physical. He initiated more contact, played when the NHL was more physical and generally put himself in the middle of battles more than Jensen's style. He was more of a warrior, partially due to opportunity in some hard fought playoff runs. I would say that had a lot to do with his decline. Jensen doesn't play that style, he hasnt put on the same miles. At the same age Jensen has played far fewer games, including a fraction of the playoff games.

Anyway, you are right, term is perfect but I could also see Jensen being effective deeper into his career due to his style.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
"at this time", it does not look like a great acquisition. It could change over time for both Perron and Amadio. Yes, it is too early to make a definitive judgement.
With regards to both, but especially Perron, I think it was about the engine that can drive a play and keep other players as honest as possible. He's not gonna get 60 points, in fact, I think 50 is a stretch, but he plays the right way, is gritty and has won.

I would have preferred someone younger, but even if he's on the 3rd line, it'll bring some jam. Especially with Greig out there too to learn from him, which I really don't think can be discounted at all. He's probably already had long talks with him about how to conduct yourself pre and post being an asshole on the ice etc.

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
more to it than points
Yes, there is more to the value of those players than points; however, when paying $4M and $2.5M some points are expected and have not been delivered to date. It is early and not enough games have been played to make a final or even early judgement on the value of those players.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
more to it than points
Yes, both have been fine so far imo and the lack of points can be raised as more of a potential issue if the team isn't winning, but I don't see the issue when the team is 4-2 and playing the right way.
Many folks are still thinking like Dorion even if they don't know it.
It'll be interesting to see the tone around these guys if the team wins, but they don't produce to some expectations. Likely whipping boys.
With regards to both, but especially Perron, I think it was about the engine that can drive a play and keep other players as honest as possible. He's not gonna get 60 points, in fact, I think 50 is a stretch, but he plays the right way, is gritty and has won.

I would have preferred someone younger, but even if he's on the 3rd line, it'll bring some jam. Especially with Greig out there too to learn from him, which I really don't think can be discounted at all. He's probably already had long talks with him about how to conduct yourself pre and post being an asshole on the ice etc.
Right or wrong, I think some just aren't willing to give any weight to these arguments whatsoever and ignore them. I might be agreeing with them if they'd come from Dorion's assessments and decisions, but have to give Staios the benefit of the doubt.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
These guys are here to teach Brady and our young core what it takes to win, on and off the ice, in games and in practice. They won’t be around for long, and they are past their primes, but the idea is that the teach our talented core how to do it before it’s too late.

Brady and the rest of the core kids are going to have to be the catalysts for this team to win, and they are going to have to teach the next group of kids, like Yak, and beyond, how to be winners.

We spent too much of our rebuild without the type of players we needed to teach our core kids how to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad