Player Discussion Nick Jensen (D)

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
2 things I'm confident about.

1.jensen will never play on the third pairing

2.staios will bring in a third pairing vet righty to play with kleven and trade or waive jbd
Or bring in a third pairing D who can play either side. This would also have a the benefit of having flexibility in case Kleven falters or too many injuries on the same side.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I feel like Jensen is exactly the type of player that would flourish here. Last few years we went for the shiny toys on the market but this offseason you could see that Staois was targetting guys that can play a role well without flash.

I think out the moves that were done, adding Jensen is my favourite. Great skater, great defensively, can make a pass and jump in the play when necessary.

Chychrun is a flashy name and with all respect to him I think Jensen is just as good a player even though they are different. When you look at their impact on the game for what we need, Jensen will have a more important impact on this team than Chychrun would. The trade may seem like a loss based on what we gave for Chychrun initially but looking at it from an on-ice point of view - this is a win for this team. We must differenciate those two trades. The first one was a loss and it is what it is. This trade for Jensen was about as good a deal as you can get in a very difficult market for RHD.

People screamed at the value on this trade but I'm confident this will be a win for this team. Perfect fit for what we need. Jensen will be the Kuba type player that will come in and have a bigger impact than his name suggests. Jensen is a legit player and a type of player that's very hard to get in this league.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Or bring in a third pairing D who can play either side. This would also have a the benefit of having flexibility in case Kleven falters or too many injuries on the same side.
At a kleven injury, we default to the heavens

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
On the Capitals I think Jensen was the go-to defensive d-man. On the Sens, Sanderson and Zub will likely be ahead of him, which should work in Jensen's favour.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I am so looking forward to seeing this team play with a real top 4 D, additional vets who play the right way, a solid starting goalie and a new coaching staff that will focus on details, getting more out of the players and introduce accountability. I'm glad that their schedule isn't super easy at the beginning of the season. We'll have an opportunity to see what they're made of although it could take some time for it to gel with so many changes on/off the ice.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I feel like Jensen is exactly the type of player that would flourish here. Last few years we went for the shiny toys on the market but this offseason you could see that Staois was targetting guys that can play a role well without flash.

I think out the moves that were done, adding Jensen is my favourite. Great skater, great defensively, can make a pass and jump in the play when necessary.

Chychrun is a flashy name and with all respect to him I think Jensen is just as good a player even though they are different. When you look at their impact on the game for what we need, Jensen will have a more important impact on this team than Chychrun would. The trade may seem like a loss based on what we gave for Chychrun initially but looking at it from an on-ice point of view - this is a win for this team. We must differenciate those two trades. The first one was a loss and it is what it is. This trade for Jensen was about as good a deal as you can get in a very difficult market for RHD.

People screamed at the value on this trade but I'm confident this will be a win for this team. Perfect fit for what we need. Jensen will be the Kuba type player that will come in and have a bigger impact than his name suggests. Jensen is a legit player and a type of player that's very hard to get in this league.
Agreed. Chychrun brings more offence, but was terrible defensively & while Jensen brings less offence hewill be counted on to prevent goals & play on the PK & improve that special team. It's not so much offence that this team required as much as preventing goals against & being much harder to play against & stopping guys from skating through our defence without being touched. A lot more snarl on defence is very much needed.

Reactions: LiseL and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed. Chychrun brings more offence, but was terrible defensively & while Jensen brings less offence hewill be counted on to prevent goals & play on the PK & improve that special team. It's not so much offence that this team required as much as preventing goals against & being much harder to play against & stopping guys from skating through our defence without being touched. A lot more snarl on defence is very much needed.
I agree we need a tougher set of D to play a more physical game. However, I think we will miss Chychrun's offence and in the future I suspect Chychrun will be playing many more years while Jensen is retired.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree we need a tougher set of D to play a more physical game. However, I think we will miss Chychrun's offence and in the future I suspect Chychrun will be playing many more years while Jensen is retired.
Entirely possible, but at the same time Sanderson will continue to improve, Kleven could turn into a decent player & Yakemchuk will start coming along sooner rather than later, he already has the size, shot & mean streak we need back there. Offence from him will be a bonus and enevitable.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
That may be true, but Chychrun is a FA next year, while Jensen has two years left. We traded one year of Chychrun for two years of Jensen, which has value in itself. If we, god forbid, really like Chychrun, we can try to sign him next year, assuming he doesn't extend with Washington.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I am so looking forward to seeing this team play with a real top 4 D, additional vets who play the right way, a solid starting goalie and a new coaching staff that will focus on details, getting more out of the players and introduce accountability. I'm glad that their schedule isn't super easy at the beginning of the season. We'll have an opportunity to see what they're made of although it could take some time for it to gel with so many changes on/off the ic
Travis Green is a horrible coach

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If we really want Chychrun back, we can trade for him in a couple seasons at retained when Ovie breaks the goal record and the Caps are screwed because of long term deals to Chychrun, PLD, etc.,

Reactions: DrEasy

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Jensens never really was a physical D. 62 hits, 10 PIMs and a vote in the Lady Bing does not really scream physical. Smart defensively yes, but physical? Not really.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
On the Capitals I think Jensen was the go-to defensive d-man. On the Sens, Sanderson and Zub will likely be ahead of him, which should work in Jensen's favour.

Feel like to get the bets from Jensen and those old legs I think he should play with Sanderson - Sanderson can carry him better then Chabot can and we know that Chabot/Zub works

Not saying Jensen needs to be carried but I think we get more out of him playing with Sandy then with Chabot we get more out of Chabot if he’s with Zub because Zub is a bit younger and a has more offensive help for Chabot

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Feel like to get the bets from Jensen and those old legs I think he should play with Sanderson - Sanderson can carry him better then Chabot can and we know that Chabot/Zub works

Not saying Jensen needs to be carried but I think we get more out of him playing with Sandy then with Chabot we get more out of Chabot if he’s with Zub because Zub is a bit younger and a has more offensive help for Chabot
Agreed.

Plus I want to see Chabot in the best position to succeed and that's with Zub.

Reactions: Tuna99

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
They’ve built themselves a solid roster.
They've got a solid enough roster to get Ovie his goals, but that forward core isn't something i'm envious of at all. I wouldn't want to pay PLD even half of what his current salary is, Strome is a 2C, and with the Backstrom Oshie injuries, they'll be relying on a lot of younger guys to break out.

They have a very solid D, but I can totally see them declining very fast and not making the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad