Player Discussion Nick Cousins (C)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Gaudette and Crookshank are AHL material and on 2-way contracts, I think. We are not "overflowing".

Ok so they get sent down and someone more "NHL mateiral" like Ostapchuk gets called up - this is Belleville's forward group:

Crookshank - Gaudette - Jenik
Highmore - Halliday - Bourgault
Rees - Bongiovanni - Pilon
Reinhardt - Daoust - Hodgson
Boucher, Pettersson, Washkurak, Chiasson

That's at least 2 too many bodies. No space for Boucher or Pettersson to get ice time to develop.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We now have way too many forwards:

NHL:
Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Norris - Batherson
Perron - Pinto - Amadio
Gregor - Cousins - Gaudette
MacEwen, Crookshank

AHL:
Jenik - Ostapchuk - Bourgault
Highmore - Halliday - Pilon
Rees - Bongiovanni - Boucher
Reinhardt - Daoust - Petersson
Washkurak, Chiasson, Hodgson

Belleville is overflowing, and that's the case even with 14 forwards in Ottawa, which we absolutely shouldn't do given how awful our D depth is.

Staios needs to swap a forward for a D. Would be insane to go into the year with JBD or Hamonic playing every night, not to mention having zero LD depth behind Kleven.

We should be going 13F/8D/2G, not 14F/7D/2G. 3rd pairing depth is so much more important than 4th line depth.
I am not concerned about Belleville's roster; some of them will never be NHL players and can be sent elsewhere.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ok so they get sent down and someone more "NHL mateiral" like Ostapchuk gets called up - this is Belleville's forward group:

That's at least 2 too many bodies. No space for Boucher or Pettersson to get ice time to develop.
Do you think there will be no injuries?.... They will have mandates from management to play certain players and give them opportunity. Secondly if these guys cant beat out journeymen ahlers then they probably arent very good.

Reactions: Duncstar and DrEasy

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

There are always injuries at both levels.

Guaranteed at some point this season we will be complaining that we don't have enough players at position "x"

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I agree with Hale on this one.

I've got Angus ahead of Gregor as 4LW and Gaudette ahead of Ostapchuk as 4C.

People who think Crookshank cant play 4th line are wrong. And Gaudette for sure can and blows Zack out of the water offensively.

It has been decided.

Feel free to disagree but I'll take your apologies on dec 1.

Reactions: bicboi64

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That's what I am thinking too.

I just watched the Probert-McSorley tilt from ancient history. That was a ten rounder!

I just watched the Probert-McSorley tilt from ancient history. That was a ten rounder!

Cousins brings some things I like and others I don't. He is not my first choice for the 4th Line.
Probert had a few doozies.

Reactions: Cosmix

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I did not see any egregious hits; perhaps only 1 nearing a hit to the head that I don't think was called by the refs.

A few of Chris Neil's hits were far more physical than what I saw in that set of videos. I don't consider Chris Neil as a rat; he was a very physical player.

He did play C in junior and I think a bit in theNHL. Not sure if he has the legs left to play 4L C.
There was a really late hit on Schiefele, i think it was. And the one he he hit the guy into the board when he was already on his knees.

It seemed rattish.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
We could run Gregor-Cousins-MacEwen as the the 4th line.
Ostapchuk will prove to be a more useful player than MacEwen, can play C and is tougher. He does everything the right way and he is a bigger threat when he fights. MacEwan fights to get the fight over with, Ostapchuk fights to land big punches.

However, that is not to say he has a spot right away and I wouldn't want him to have to fight anyone of significance at this stage in his career so maybe MacEwen gets the edge on most nights.

My prediction is that Ostapchuk endears himself to Green and the fanbase and plays a huge role on that line before the season is up though. He'll contribute like peak Zack Smith but is going to do it for us for 12+ years.

Reactions: Duncstar

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don’t mind if ostapchuk gets some time as 1C in Belleville.

And then,

Crookshank-Gregor-Cousins
Macewen
could work nicely.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree with Hale on this one.

I've got Angus ahead of Gregor as 4LW and Gaudette ahead of Ostapchuk as 4C.

People who think Crookshank cant play 4th line are wrong. And Gaudette for sure can and blows Zack out of the water offensively.

It has been decided.

Feel free to disagree but I'll take your apologies on dec 1.
You guys are gonna be dissapointed. No NHL team wants Gaudette in a 4th line center role. He isn't a checker. Crookshanks poor defenisve zone play is well documented as something he needs to work on. Gregor is an NHL player who is on a one way and is a 1st team pker. This team is being built to win NHL games. To think a coach will be OK with Gaudette and Crookshank being used against top 6 lines in the NHL is laughable. This team is going to have defined roles. They aren't running a 4th line if AHL scorers.

'it's been decided' by who?.... show me all the teams that sign players to one way and two way contracts then the guy in the two way plays over the player on the one way.

Bookmarked can't wait until Dec 1st.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
You guys are gonna be dissapointed. No NHL team wants Gaudette in a 4th line center role. He isn't a checker. Crookshanks poor defenisve zone play is well documented as something he needs to work on. Gregor is an NHL player who is on a one way and is a 1st team pker. This team is being built to win NHL games. To think a coach will be OK with Gaudette and Crookshank being used against top 6 lines in the NHL is laughable. This team is going to have defined roles. They aren't running a 4th line if AHL scorers.

'it's been decided' by who?.... show me all the teams that sign players to one way and two way contracts then the guy in the two way plays over the player on the one way.

Bookmarked can't wait until Dec 1st.
Strong opinions here bert. Bookmark away my friend.

• Haha
Reactions: Icelevel

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The antics of guys like this only work when you have a really talented team that doesn't lose focus every time he pulls some boneheaded move. They are always able to overcome the moments where he crosses the line and gives the other team something to rally around.

We don't have that.

• Haha
Reactions: bert

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I mean they aren't really strong. I am being conservative to you comparatively
Hey Bert. It was just such a forceful and cocksure take, Bert.

And as an avowed defender of internet humility, it draws my ire to hear one speak with such certainty of such uncertain matters.

So here's my thinking, Bert.

Not every 4th liner is in a checking role, and not every 4th line is used solely to match against the other teams top lines. And we've got lots of checkers to sprinkle through the bottom six. Amadio, Perron and Greig might eat at lot of those big matchups over "4th line" guys like ostapchuk cousins or gregor.

Gaudette played a decent amount of bottom six for us in 21-22, including time with gambrell, watson, tierney, ennis, etc. I recall him being okay in that role. He brought some secondary offense and wasn't a liability. He led the entire AHL in goals last season and also nearly in points as well. He's a vet and I think he's gonna play his way onto the bottom six leaving the very green ostapchuk as the odd man out.

Crookshank I think will earn a top 9 NHL role eventually (prob 3LW), and to get there I think he's going to leapfrog someone. I'm betting that someone will be Gregor.

But Gregor's contract and penalty kill are good points you made, bert, so maybe Crooksy will have to wait to sneak in via injury replacement. He was an AHL all star last year, he plays with a bit of jam and i think concerns about his defensive game are overblown.

I'm betting on him getting onto this roster this season and I suspect it will be through the bottom six on whichever line is getting the fewest minutes. I call that the 4th line. If you define the 4th line as the "matchup/shutdown/checking" line, I totally see why we're in disagreement here, bert.

You don't believe travis will play any non-shutdown players in the bottom six; I think he will eventually mix these two in (but maybe not to start).

And the way i just said "i think" there gets back to forceful takes and stating opinions instead of absolutist statements.

And the "it has been decided" thing was my lame attempt at a reference to the show The League. Too obscure, posted after a few too many brews. Sometimes i post stuff that is mostly for my own amusement. Like the way i keep using your name, bert. It's so in my head i can read this post like it's spoken by Ernie from Sesame street.

You follow, bert?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The only reason Ostapchuk is not going to be on the roster is a decision to give him more time to grow his game in Belleville. He could be the top 4C option but that doesn't mean they put him in there to start the year. He has everything you want except experience. I think it could benefit Ostapchuk to go down and its an easy move I think he has a higher ceiling than a 4th liner.

I think Kelly and Cousins could have been good together

Crookshank is a good little player and has some feistiness.. He will not be playing over Gregor , no way no how.. Gregor had 167 hits last year and has much better speed . I might keep Crookshank over MacEwen as a 13 despite the size disparity .

I just don't know who is the C on that line. I hope they keep Greig up the lineup and don't decide to slot him in down there.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Go Habs Go! You can have Gallagher. He cant keep up and is the most overpaid player in the league.

:facepalm: I literally said that I think that Gallagher should be on this list of punchable faces (and he could since another bottom-6 player is #1) and you come up with something like that?

How many games has he played on a NHL PK you think?

Lol, or that. I don't think he comes anywhere close to how much Gallagher used to bug me though. My most hated NHL player for a few years there for sure with the Montreal rivalry being much more alive than the old Leafs rivalry.

Even recently with the stuff he said about Stutzle.

Boucher and Daoust will probably be injured so that helps...

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I like this signing. We needed depth in the lineup. Staois did a really good job addressing the weaknesses and filling holes while managing the cap. Getting 4 players for the bottom 6 is a pretty big change and it'll be great to have legit NHLers in those spots. Young guys will have to fight for spots which is always what you want.

Just need another Dman to solidify the 3rd pair.

I'm impressed given the tough task that was in front of him after the season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brady and Claude want him on the squad, what do they know!
While I do agree, to be fair, Giroux wanted MacEwen too...

All that said, teams need a guy like this, in the past we had Varada, we had Rutuu these players add value.

Reactions: Xspyrit

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
While I do agree, to be fair, Giroux wanted MacEwen too...

All that said, teams need a guy like this, in the past we had Varada, we had Rutuu these players add value.
We have also been asking for a long time what is this Ottawa team. With a captain like Brady given how unique the player is the identity should have always been built around what he brings which is physical hockey thats played on the edge. Its nice to see a GM that is actually building an identity, Ottawa is going to be a very hard team to play against. Win or lose you wont forget what its like to have to play against them. They got alot more physical/pesky this offseason. I dont think teams are going to look forward to coming into this the CTC this year. They have a coach that likes heavy physical hockey now too. This isnt your old Ottawa Senators come in and score some goals and take an easy 2 points. Every team is going to have to work for it. Which leads me back to what I was trying to explain they wont have a skill 4th line with players like Gaudette on it. Every line will be hard to play against. Crookshank can play a high energy type of hockey so I could see him getting some looks. Its likely him and or Ostapchuk that make the team as the 13th forward. I expect with injuries both of them play the majority of the season up in Ottawa.

Travis Green had team shirts made that said 'Start heavy' In Utica in which he always started his 4th line. I am expecting a similar mantra.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad