Confirmed with Link: Nick Bonino traded to PIT for 2023 5th & 7th (5th redirected to TBA team for salary retention on trade)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I'm honestly a little confused at the reaction here. Bones is a bottom-6 forward on an expiring contract. He's basically the definition of "replacement-level" and has said he's open to coming back next year as a UFA. He wasn't moving the needle in any meaningful way for this roster and we got a draft pick for him while sending him somewhere that he might make a difference.

So, fire Mike Grier? Really?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Don't quote me on this, but most things switch/roll over when the league year changes on July 1. I imagine that would probably also include salary retention slots.

EK65 has another 4 seasons (through June 2027).

Contract year ends nominally June 30.

TSN reports that the deal is Bonino for 5th and 7th (no 3rd team retention). Still not seeing official announcements. 2022-23 NHL Trade Tracker

Reactions: anthonyyy

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
EK65 has another 4 seasons (through June 2027).

Contract year ends nominally June 30.

TSN reports that the deal is Bonino for 5th and 7th (no 3rd team retention). Still not seeing official announcements. 2022-23 NHL Trade Tracker

TSN is NOT reporting that there's no 3rd team. Bob McKenzie just said (literally seconds ago) that with the trade call not going through it still appears that they're trying to work out the logistics of a 3rd team being in play for salary retention.

The trade tracker is rarely a finalized verification. They'll put up the preliminaries of deals on it and then adjust later on as the details emerge.

Reactions: Gecklund

aircobra

May 4, 2013

Sharks can’t take back literally any contract from PIT to get that 5th? Give us Archibald or Heinen and a 5th.

You seem to enjoy complaining no matter what they do. Taking back salary limits what they can possibly do today. They have a chance at getting better assets than a 5th rounder.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You seem to enjoy complaining no matter what they do. Taking back salary limits what they can possibly do today. They have a chance at getting better assets than a 5th rounder.
Where is that chance? Reimer? Probably not better than a 5th. Labanc? Probably not better than a 5th and would be for two years.

I love all of these posts that basically say “YOU JUST COMPLAIN TO COMPLAIN THERES OBVIOUSLY OTHER SOLUTIONS!!!!” Then refuse to give other solutions. I actually don’t complain about everything the Sharks do. Grier is just really bad so a lot of his moves have been really bad so I have said they are really bad.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Where is that chance? Reimer? Probably not better than a 5th. Labanc? Probably not better than a 5th and would be for two years.

I love all of these posts that basically say “YOU JUST COMPLAIN TO COMPLAIN THERES OBVIOUSLY OTHER SOLUTIONS!!!!” Then refuse to give other solutions. I actually don’t complain about everything the Sharks do. Grier is just really bad so a lot of his moves have been really bad so I have said they are really bad.

Grier isn't really that bad. Turning a waiver pick up into a 4th is decent business. As for the Bonino trade, it hasn't even gone through yet.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Grier isn't really that bad. Turning a waiver pick up into a 4th is decent business. As for the Bonino trade, it hasn't even gone through yet.
Was I complaining about the Namestnikov move though? Cause no I wasn’t.

and as I said if the reports are true it’s bad in the Bonino trade.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Yeah, any talk about Grier being bad so far is either hyperbolic, highly reactionary, lacking in context, or a combination of those things.

Or just never believing in him from the start, which I understand. I agreed at the time of the hire that he was lacking in experience which left me skeptical. But to my eye, none of his moves has been of a nature to make me think, "Oh, this guy really doesn't know what he's doing after all."

Reactions: Alaskanice

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Was I complaining about the Namestnikov move though? Cause no I wasn’t.

and as I said if the reports are true it’s bad in the Bonino trade.

You called him a bad GM so I pointed out something good he did. And we've all had lengthy discussions about the Meier deal and how he did well compared to other teams selling comparable players.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You called him a bad GM so I pointed out something good he did. And we've all had lengthy discussions about the Meier deal and how he did well compared to other teams selling comparable players.
And I’ve laid out the trades that I think were good and trades that I think were bad. He is a bad GM considering the bad moves highly outnumber the good moves. Considering there’s about 4 good moves, maybe 2 moderate moves, and about 8-10 bad moves. Including signings here.

The only comebacks on the bad moves too are massive appeals to authority and that he’s doing players a favor. So basically speculation and opinions and not facts. Obviously this is all opinion based from both sides but I’m still providing context while every single response to mine isn’t or claims I say things that I never did.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
And I’ve laid out the trades that I think were good and trades that I think were bad. He is a bad GM considering the bad moves highly outnumber the good moves. Considering there’s about 4 good moves, maybe 2 moderate moves, and about 8-10 bad moves. Including signings here.

The only comebacks on the bad moves too are massive appeals to authority and that he’s doing players a favor. So basically speculation and opinions and not facts. Obviously this is all opinion based from both sides but I’m still providing context while every single response to mine isn’t or claims I say things that I never did.
Grier has shown he can build an elite tank team, which is exactly what the Sharks need right now.

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad