Confirmed with Link: Nick Bonino traded to PIT for 2023 5th & 7th (5th redirected to TBA team for salary retention on trade)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I make a lot of jokes about him, but I will genuinely miss Bonino. Hope he signs back as a UFA this summer. Wish him all the best, even though Pittsburgh isn’t going anywhere this year.

Reactions: DG93

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I make a lot of jokes about him, but I will genuinely miss Bonino. Hope he signs back as a UFA this summer. Wish him all the best, even though Pittsburgh isn’t going anywhere this year.
I was sort of shocked that he and Reimer seemed so open to coming back to SJ as a free agent in the interviews yesterday (or maybe it was the day prior). I would be totally fine with bringing both of those guys back as free agents this offseason after trading them today (though we will see if they want to actually come back after getting a taste of winning - and given that it is rare in pro sports to be traded and then come back the same offseason outside of a legend like Marleau).

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Our front office is pretty tight lipped with returns taking forever to come out

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Curious on how this deal plays out. Pittsburgh doesn't have cap space for Bonino even if SJ retains 50% without sending something back. If Pittsburgh sent McGinn back, SJ could send Bonino without retention and PIT would just sneak under the cap. At 50% retention, we'd have to take back Danton Heinen I believe to make the deal work.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Yeah that checks out.

Guessing Grier placed more value on having that retention slot available than the difference between a 5th and 7th? Could also be that he did right by the player to get him back this summer and took a slightly lesser return to put him in a spot he'd want to go. All of that said, difference between 4th-7th is pretty much nil from an expected value standpoint.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Guessing Grier placed more value on having that retention slot available than the difference between a 5th and 7th? Could also be that he did right by the player to get him back this summer and took a slightly lesser return to put him in a spot he'd want to go. All of that said, difference between 4th-7th is pretty much nil from an expected value standpoint.

I think retention slot is right. Don’t we only have one left for the year?

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I think retention slot is right. Don’t we only have one left for the year?
Correct. Timo will go off the retention books in the offseason, but we only have 1 remaining at this point in time. Would imagine he'd prefer to use it in a Labanc or Karlsson (unlikely but who knows) potential deal where the salary is more penal/necessary to be retained on.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I’m tired. Retaining salary?? Why give up a fifth for that?
We only have 1 retention slot available to retain on our own and Pittsburgh doesn't have cap space for Bonino without retention. 5th rounders are the going rate for brokering deals.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
1677856480128.png

Thanks for everything

• Haha
Reactions: TheBigDrunkPanda

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad