Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t know what the end result is going to be but I highly doubt it will be a termination unless it comes with some type of handshake agreement that Nuke goes to Russia to play.

As much as some people don’t want him around, those same people would fear even more having to play him in the playoffs on the Oilers making a million dollars on a “prove it deal”.

He has f***ed the Avs twice now but the Avs also probably aren’t winning shit without him. Their record with and without Nuke is telling enough as it is. But the dude receive conn smyth votes on a broken foot the year they did win. And the season came crashing down immediately in the playoffs when he couldn’t play. 9 goals in 8 playoff games this year (outscoring this years Conn smyth winner lol) and the argument is there that he’s the best defensive winger in the NHL.

I don’t know what the answer is with this guy but he ain’t going somewhere else for free. He’s a bigger part of this team’s engine than most people want to admit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Nuke is simply a timebomb. The next positive test triggers a 1 year suspension where he still can return to the NHL. All it is is that reinstatement is not guaranteed... which means this limbo we have been in will simply be longer on the next go round. He's a hell of a player on the ice, but he's a timebomb to the roster makeup of the team.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I just feel like if he took some accountability and publicly apologized to the fans, it would go a long ways to making it easier to bring him back in the fold.

I'm willing to give him another chance. I like him too much as hockey player. However, if the locker room can't accept him, then the cons would outweigh the pros and I'd be in favour of him being let go.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don’t know what the end result is going to be but I highly doubt it will be a termination unless it comes with some type of handshake agreement that Nuke goes to Russia to play.

As much as some people don’t want him around, those same people would fear even more having to play him in the playoffs on the Oilers making a million dollars on a “prove it deal”.

He has f***ed the Avs twice now but the Avs also probably aren’t winning shit without him. Their record with and without Nuke is telling enough as it is. But the dude receive conn smyth votes on a broken foot the year they did win. And the season came crashing down immediately in the playoffs when he couldn’t play. 9 goals in 8 playoff games this year (outscoring this years Conn smyth winner lol) and the argument is there that he’s the best defensive winger in the NHL.

I don’t know what the answer is with this guy but he ain’t going somewhere else for free. He’s a bigger part of this team’s engine than most people want to admit.
We wouldn't have to fear a thing because he'd just get caught in the playoffs again.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I'm fine with him coming back. If we lose Nuke for nothing it'll hurt just as much as what he did last year in the playoffs. Might as well roll the dice. I'd prefer that to eating a 2m cap penalty and letting him play for another playoff team.

I know it's not a guarantee but I feel like if he gets caught again the Avs will have a much better shot terminating. 3 straight years will be pretty special territory. Dont blame the Avs for taking that chance. I think it's your best bet. Either Nuke stays sober or you get his 6m. You don't have to pay to dump him and you don't eat a cap penalty.

Reactions: Alienblood

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean what else are they going to do this season?

That's the real issue. Not sure how this will play out, but they don't have any good options really, unless he's willing to terminate his contract, which seems highly unlikely.

I've always felt there's a decent chance they roll the dice again because of that, with the hopes he can put in at least one season without drama, and then try to trade him for value next off season, when Mikko's deal kicks in, and Val's NMC becomes a 12 team NTC.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I'd never play the guy again. I don't care if I was still paying him.

But that's just me, I've been told I'm a dumbass.

Strike one? Shame on me.

Strike two though? Well, that's strike 3. Game, set, match.
So you will sit one of the best players on the team the entire season out of spite, still carry the cap hit and guarantee there is not even a chance to trade him in the future.

That's some plan

Reactions: LTCPain75

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
So you will sit one of the best players on the team the entire season out of spite, still carry the cap hit and guarantee there is not even a chance to trade him in the future.

That's some plan

I wouldn't sit him, I'd make him walk up and down the aisles with a breadboard saying "You may remember me from the 2022 and 2023 playoffs!"

"out of spite" lmfao

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Nuke is simply a timebomb. The next positive test triggers a 1 year suspension where he still can return to the NHL. All it is is that reinstatement is not guaranteed... which means this limbo we have been in will simply be longer on the next go round. He's a hell of a player on the ice, but he's a timebomb to the roster makeup of the team.
If he gets nabbed again, he'll have his contract terminated, and no one in the NHL will go near him again. He'll end up back in Russia in the KHL. Honestly, if that could happen now, that might be the best option for everyone. Avs broker a deal with him and the NHLPA where they terminate his deal, he signs a fat deal in the KHL, and the NHLPA just lets it go. That said, I fully expect him to rejoin the Avs in November, he plays into the new year and gets suspended again in like February.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If he gets nabbed again, he'll have his contract terminated, and no one in the NHL will go near him again. He'll end up back in Russia in the KHL. Honestly, if that could happen now, that might be the best option for everyone. Avs broker a deal with him and the NHLPA where they terminate his deal, he signs a fat deal in the KHL, and the NHLPA just lets it go. That said, I fully expect him to rejoin the Avs in November, he plays into the new year and gets suspended again in like February.
It’ll be a similar fight and situation as to now. During the year suspension, couldn’t unilaterally terminate. Have to wait for the reinstatement and then terminate. Possible there could be a mutual termination, but there still a lot of money on the table.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I feel like it's just as likely the Avs want to avoid the cost, and the drama/negative PR that would come with a contract termination fight.

With Mike Richards contract being terminated back in the day, or Evander Kane reaching an agreement with the Sharks to terminate his contract, seems as though they could force a resolution if they wanted when they're able to.

Or get the NHL to implement some sort of LTIR type of measure for players in the Assistance Program, since the cap implications are so big, getting saddled with a $6M player who can't play.

If the league had some common sense, they'd realize they're hurting the fans, all time great players like MacKinnon and Makar, and their own owners, by punishing them for the actions of one man with an addiction. Not to mention disincentivizing players from joining the Assistance Program.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It’ll be a similar fight and situation as to now. During the year suspension, couldn’t unilaterally terminate. Have to wait for the reinstatement and then terminate. Possible there could be a mutual termination, but there still a lot of money on the table.
Reinstatement is not guaranteed at that point.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Reinstatement is not guaranteed at that point.
I know… but it’s possible. If he met conditions, it would likely be reinstated. The real point is, you’d have to wait for that to play out. It punts another 12 months prior to it being solved.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I know… but it’s possible. If he met conditions, it would likely be reinstated. The real point is, you’d have to wait for that to play out. It punts another 12 months prior to it being solved.
It would also become more likely that a mutual termination would happen. Not saying it would, but Nuke would be sitting there 12 months without his salary. At that point, the incentive to just bounce back to Russia is much smaller than it is today, when he's just out for 6 months, and the majority of that is during the offseason when you are not playing and thus not getting paid either.

Like Phil Leotardo would say: "Next time, there will be no next time".

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It would also become more likely that a mutual termination would happen. Not saying it would, but Nuke would be sitting there 12 months without his salary. At that point, the incentive to just bounce back to Russia is much smaller than it is today, when he's just out for 6 months, and the majority of that is during the offseason when you are not playing and thus not getting paid either.

I get the argument for that. It isn’t guaranteed by any stretch.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Nuke’s biggest money years are this and next. If there’s ever a time there’s a chance of him staying clean, it’s now.

He’s already losing 1.6M this season. A 1 year suspension is gonna make him lose in the realm of an additional 7-8M.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019

MacSakic and Nuke simply need to compromise:

engtfc4p011b1.jpg

Reactions: LOFIN

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I just feel like if he took some accountability and publicly apologized to the fans, it would go a long ways to making it easier to bring him back in the fold.

I'm willing to give him another chance. I like him too much as hockey player. However, if the locker room can't accept him, then the cons would outweigh the pros and I'd be in favour of him being let go.
Exactly. All he’s done is blame others and not take any responsibility. Addict.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Nuke was always gonna be back. There are just no other reasonable options. Give him one more chance, if he f***s up again, then he’s most likely gone. Also having Landy back will help. Not only the leadership he will provide, but if Val f***s up again, we’ll at least have Landy on the ice

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You know what really pisses me off about the NHL?

They throw out the salary cap for the playoffs but not the drug testing. What kind of horse shit is this?

There should be no rules to playoffs hockey. Last team standing wins. Oh wait...that's UFC. But still, you know what I mean.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
You know what really pisses me off about the NHL?

They throw out the salary cap for the playoffs but not the drug testing. What kind of horse shit is this?

There should be no rules to playoffs hockey. Last team standing wins. Oh wait...that's UFC. But still, you know what I mean.
Juice them all up! Give us steroid rage Makar in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad