Niagara Icedogs 2024-25 Season, Part I

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
Talked to someone in the biz lastnight who said NVV is the last of the OA's that should be moved based on Niagara's need for defense experience and toughness.

Said they should keep all 4 as long as possible, move one of Loskho or Flores closer to the deadline for picks for next year.
Keeping all 4 as long as possible is a great idea but telling either one of the 3 skaters they have to sit every game probably hurts the team plus I don’t see you getting many picks for any of the OAs

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
Meridian Centre IceDogs Home Openers
…the announced attendance (Sunday Oct 6, 2024) is the lowest attended MC home opener (excluding the covid limited capacity game).

NFL Week Five - 1
IceDogs Sunday - 0

24-25. 3289 Sunday
23-24. 4365 Saturday
22-23. 3737 Thursday
21-22. 3276 Saturday (covid limited capacity sellout).
20-21. No OHL Season
19-20. 4753 Thursday
18-19. 5300 Friday (sellout)
17-18. 4768 Friday
16-17. 4707 Friday
15-16. 4337 Thursday
14-15. 5300 Saturday (sellout)

IMO being eminently fair, the IceDogs first three wins were not particularly impressive, but beating Brampton, in the manner they did, was extremely impressive!
Oshawa was impressive but this was definitely most impressive. Attendance was always going to be close to what it was yesterday no matter what day they played on IMO so the scoreboard isn’t really necessary but since you’re keeping score what exactly would give “IceDogs Sunday” a win over the NFL

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Keeping all 4 as long as possible is a great idea but telling either one of the 3 skaters they have to sit every game probably hurts the team plus I don’t see you getting many picks for any of the OAs

Bryant and VanVliet would probably net good returns at the deadline, but that does not solve the issue of sitting one of Flores, Bryant, and Loshko every third game prior to that.

The answer might lie in the play of Robertson.

Reactions: three dog night

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
Bryant and VanVliet would probably net good returns at the deadline, but that does not solve the issue of sitting one of Flores, Bryant, and Loshko every third game prior to that.

The answer might lie in the play of Robertson.
Well he’s about to get a good run of games with Flores likely suspended as for the returns I’d have to take a look at the teams that are “going for it” to see if either is really an upgrade on what they have

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Oshawa was impressive but this was definitely most impressive. Attendance was always going to be close to what it was yesterday no matter what day they played on IMO so the scoreboard isn’t really necessary but since you’re keeping score what exactly would give “IceDogs Sunday” a win over the NFL
Lot of factors for a fairly low crowd 80 degree weather didn’t help

Dogs Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2019
St, Catharines
Well he’s about to get a good run of games with Flores likely suspended as for the returns I’d have to take a look at the teams that are “going for it” to see if either is really an upgrade on what they have

The Standard article today said Flores has a 2 game suspension. The OHL website is not showing that. So if true, Flores will be back on Saturday night.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
since you’re keeping score what exactly would give “IceDogs Sunday” a win over the NFL
That is a Good question! We can start with last year’s home opener attendance figure 4365 on a Saturday night which was replaced with Sunday vs the NFL. If they had drawn over that it would have been a win. Or you can also use any other weekend home opener as a way to measure its success. And this not meant to be smarta$$ but you actually can use ANY other home opener to see that the first experiment with Sunday lost. They didn’t out draw a single home opener

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
A. Is a joke.
B. Would not have facilitated a Flint-Barrie trade, so was not happening.
[C] Was 2,3,4 picks I believe. I thought it was an overpayment even though for 2-3 years the team would be better for it.
Still running. Still no answer. Still Trolling?

The picks were 2, 3, 3.

The "question" is you "as the GM of IceDogs, not as a pawn to facilitate a trade between Barrie and Flint", which one of those trades would you agree to, with the best interest of your team building around the 07-08 core, that you have told the fans is the plan?

Answer is only one letter a, b, or c ?? Which trade would you make?

Last edited:

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Talked to someone in the biz lastnight who said NVV is the last of the OA's that should be moved based on Niagara's need for defense experience and toughness.

Said they should keep all 4 as long as possible, move one of Loskho or Flores closer to the deadline for picks for next year.
Can’t speak to what the DD might do. However, I can tell you that whatever they decide, Ben will have no input in the decision.

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
That is a Good question! We can start with last year’s home opener attendance figure 4365 on a Saturday night which was replaced with Sunday vs the NFL. If they had drawn over that it would have been a win. Or you can also use any other weekend home opener as a way to measure its success. And this not meant to be smarta$$ but you actually can use ANY other home opener to see that the first experiment with Sunday lost. They didn’t out draw a single home opener
So they were “losing” no matter what then cause like I said IMO with the way the team played the last few years and with a significant decline in STH they wouldn’t get close to last year’s number no matter the day

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Standard article

Top dogs in CHL: Niagara IceDogs only undefeated team in major junior hockey after home-opening victory

I love this quote:

Speaking of doing everything as a team. I saw the team walking down St. Paul street together around noon on Saturday. I think the coach was with them too.
This is a true story. When DD took ownership of the team, I immediately emailed DD to give him Ben’s name as a perfect hire for his new team. He replied back assuring me he had an excellent coach and GM in place and it would be announced soon. You remember who that was lol. I’ll maintain Ben is one of the best OHL coaches and the brightest young minds in junior hockey

If I didn’t delete that email. I’ll share it with you privately

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
The Standard article today said Flores has a 2 game suspension. The OHL website is not showing that. So if true, Flores will be back on Saturday night.
2 games is the automatic I could see him getting extra for the punches after the ref tried to break it up 2 games has him back next Thursday not Saturday

Reactions: Sam14

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
So they were “losing” no matter what then cause like I said IMO with the way the team played the last few years and with a significant decline in STH they wouldn’t get close to last year’s number no matter the day
Check the Saturday night attendance figures from last year. No reason for a home opener to a new season should draw so poorly and from the pictures sent to me it looked less half full (2400-2500). If this was played on Saturday night there would have been a significant number of more people at the game. We can all agree on that common sense thinking

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
Check the Saturday night attendance figures from last year. No reason for a home opener to a new season should draw so poorly and from the pictures sent to me it looked less half full (2400-2500). If this was played on Saturday night there would have been a significant number of more people at the game. We can all agree on that common sense thinking
I could think of a few reasons why It would draw that poorly regardless of the days someone with common sense thinking should also be able to as well

Reactions: dirty12

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
What are those reasons?
A) they lost a ton of STH from what I’ve heard
B) they’ve been a last place tire fire for the last couple years and I don’t think 3 good games would’ve been enough to change that (beating a team like Brampton might)
C) I think you might be underestimating how hated the owner is
D) football

Last edited:

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
B) they’ve been a last place tire fire for the last couple years and I don’t think 3 good games would’ve been enough to change that (beating a team like Brampton might)
D) football
All valid reasons! So you are saying that if those reasons were not a factor, the Sunday home opener (vs NFL) would have drawn better than a home opener on Saturday night?

...because that is the basises of this whole discussion regarding DD preferred Sunday games, that switched from (12 Saturday - 5 Sunday) to (5 - Saturday - 12 Sunday).

Dogs Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2019
St, Catharines
D) football

Football is the least of the reasons. Most people around us were following football on their phones.

You also missed another big reason. The scandals (Burkes and DD and some players) and the resulting punishment from the league turned people off. It was an embarrassment to be a fan for a couple years. People I know who don't live in Niagara and don't follow the OHL closely asked me "What the heck is going on down there" when they saw terrible reports in the media.

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
All valid reasons! So you are saying that if those reasons were not a factor, the Sunday home opener (vs NFL) would have drawn better than a home opener on Saturday night?

...because that is the basises of this whole discussion regarding DD preferred Sunday games, that switched from (12 Saturday - 5 Sunday) to (5 - Saturday - 12 Sunday).
I don’t know if it would have drawn better than 4365 of last year but I wouldn’t have been shocked if it was at least 4 without even problem A. I’ve said from the day it was announced that I think moving away from mainly Thursdays to afternoons was a good idea for the team but personally would’ve done Saturday afternoon until the football season is over

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
Football is the least of the reasons. Most people around us were following football on their phones.

You also missed another big reason. The scandals (Burkes and DD and some players) and the resulting punishment from the league turned people off. It was an embarrassment to be a fan for a couple years. People I know who don't live in Niagara and don't follow the OHL closely asked me "What the heck is going on down there" when they saw terrible reports in the media.
I agree football is probably the least of the problems on the list and even though I didn’t list the scandals it is part of C

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Here is something we can all report back on this Friday. How many of these excuses affect the announced attendance and actual attendance at home game two.

I’ll go out on a limb and predict there will be more fans in those seats that night, than Sunday's game. Hmmm...coincidence.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
I don’t know if it would have drawn better than 4365 of last year but I wouldn’t have been shocked if it was at least 4 without even problem A. I’ve said from the day it was announced that I think moving away from mainly Thursdays to afternoons was a good idea for the team but personally would’ve done Saturday afternoon until the football season is over
Yes, exactly, we definitely agree. Sunday vs NFL is a bad idea and off to a bad start, but lets see if it out-draws any Saturday night games this year?

the dog

May 16, 2014
Bottom line lost a lot of seasons tickets holders in past 2 years..
Poor management ..and beeing worst team in league

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
Here is something we can all report back on this Friday. How many of these excuses affect the announced attendance and actual attendance at home game two.

I’ll go out on a limb and predict there will be more fans in those seats that night, than Sunday's game. Hmmm...coincidence.
Now they’re excuses Earlier you called them valid points which one is it? Friday will probably be a bigger crowd partly because of football partly because they just beavthe best team in the league (B on my list) and are still undefeated and if we’re looking ahead probably still should be after next weekend being a Friday night helps as well sunday vs football is a bad idea yes but we know he only really cares about “getting home at a reasonable time “ or whatever he said in his that article when they made the switch if he truly cared about the attendance he would’ve made the switch to Saturday afternoons till football ends then go to Sundays or get rid of Thursdays and go mostly Friday/saturday night

Reactions: Sam14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad